The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Gay bashing at “Criss Angel Believe" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2009-12-31 00:19, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
I remember not too long ago, on these very forums, if anyone said anything even mildly negative about Chriss, he was ganged up on almost immediately by a horde of fans / apologists. Perhaps now we can see that maybe some people knew whereof they spoke...

having said that, I too, am not going to jump on the "gay-bashing" bandwagon simply because an audience member (who, for all we know might have been British) used a word some people find offensive. I don't know if Chriss knew that was going to be the word or not. I find the F-bomb and other words offensive, but that doesn't stop people from using them in their acts in Vegas and elswhere. I found the thing a few years back done at a convention in Vegas by Penn & Teller and Jonathan INCREDIBLY offensive, and yet they all continue to work without public outcry.

Why is it that someone can vilely and graphically defame the God of hundreds of millions of Christians without consequence, but if someone uses a "homophobic" word, there is an instant outcry for his termination? Why is the first covered under freedom of speech, but not the second? Let's treat both the same way: terminate immediately upon infringements of both, or let both slide. But it seems to me that if you let the first slide but jump on the bandwagon for the second, you're being at least a bit hypocritical.

Let the tirades begin....

Thankyou, Scott. I remember a while back when criticizing Angel meant major backlash. I was personally attacked repeatedly for my criticisms- even threatened with charges. Now I see many in the community are finally speaking up. Finally.

Rodney.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Rodney, I think you are a bit misremembering.

People were saying magic would survive, and it will. I think he is a poor magician, but hey they exist. He is much lower profile now than he was, he was flavor of the month, but now seems to be losing some steam.

The constant nag about him is what is confusing to most of us. We get it, you don't like him and think he is bad for magic. How many times, in how many threads, in how many years do you have to keep making the point?

He has proven to be his own worst enemy. He will self destruct. Life goes on.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
That's fine, Danny, but you have no idea what I went through. It was very upsetting to me and my family. Forgive me if I express some relief in the fact that some of the guys who gave me a really hard time are starting to "come around".
Rodney
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Also , I rarely forget, nor do I "misremember" - my new favourite non-word. The people were not saying magic will survive. At least not to me. They were saying, how dare you, how could you, you don't know what you're speaking of, you'll be charged, you're a coward, you've got some nerve, I dare you to give me one example of a camera edit and I will refute it, etc, etc. It was very upsetting and I most certainly am not "misremembering. Anything"

Rod
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Munkywrench wrote:

Quote:
Only magician to have won the Merlin Magician of the Year award twice (in 2001 and 2004).
Criss Angel won the Academy of Magical Arts' Magician of the Year award in 2005 and the IMS Magician of the year for 2007 and 2008.

Have you ever done any research on the IMS awards or the International Magicians Society, itself?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
IMS. lol.
~Joe
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
On Penn's radio show, Criss seems like a cool guy. I was unaware of the slurs, which now drop him back down where he was in my mind.

That he donates to charities, make-a-wish, ect..Great, but this is what people of his type should be doing anyway.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Donations to charity are a well known tax dodge for the wealthy. It's good PR, nothing more in most cases.

I do find it funny how people get so upset over words. You can't say anything these days without someone taking offence. If you're offended by words then it's your problem. Being offended isn't a crime after all.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Gay bashing at “Criss Angel Believe" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL