The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Cards Across Stage Version (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
For many years now I have been collecting 'Cards Across' routines. The trick is 10 normal size playing cards are counted in a spectator's hand, and 10 more cards are counted in the other spectator's hand or another spectator altogether. Three of the cards from the 1st pile is cased to magically travel from one pile of 10 cards to the other pile of 10 cards, where upon counting the cards, only 7 cards are left in the 1st pile and 13 cards are in the 2nd pile.

I have only seen this trick performed once by the famous Roy Johnson from England. He made a rare appearance at a convention in Houston Texas and I flew to see him.

The late Art Emerson also sold a version of this effect. If you are wondering who he is he produced the 'Color Monte', you probably have this effect in you collect of trick to always perform.

There are many versions of the effect, but I am only interested in a Stage Version. There are basically 2 types of this trick available. One is sleight of hand and the other is with a prop.

I have the old Ken Allen Version 'On The Square', and I see Morrissey Magic Products now has a very nice looking Card Tray on their web site here: http://morrisseymagic.com/morrissey_closeup1.htm

They call it the 'ROSINI CARD TRANSPOSITION TRAY' and in that description they say that 3 cards are remembered or written down and it is the 'SAME CARDS' that are shown to have transferred. I don't like the pouring of cards in the bag idea, but I do like the idea of having 3 cards of exact named cards traveling.

Does anyone know of accomplishing this effect using named cards? In print anywhere.
Does anyone perform a version and care to share there experiences with this effect in general? This is a Classic effect, but I have never performed it myself in a show.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
There is a jumbo cards version in Kaplan's Fine Art of Magic.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Whit is on target. It's a good version that I used to perform. The three selected cards travel. Unfortunately, I thinks the book is out of print. If you need a copy, I have two in my library, so send me a PM.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
David Solomon's

Thoughts Across. Two cards travel from one packet to another. Then the thought of cards are shown to have traveled.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1586 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Fantastic version of this in Alan Shaxon's book :"My Kind of Magic" . Can be done without the envelopes of a Zens method and the three chosen cards do transfer from packet to packet.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Alan Shaxon books are some of my charished books. I do not remember this, I will have to dig them out again. I like him so much I had him autograph his books twice for me.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Hi Wmhegbli:

According to the computerized database of my home library, the following books have some version of the "cards across" effect:

"My Best" by J.G. Thompson (I think this is the original Mike F. Zens version)

"Superb Sorcery" by Sheldon Waldman & Russ Burns

"A Volunteer From the Audience" by Walt Hudson & Tom Ogden

"The Secret Ways of Al Baker" by Al Baker

"The Magic Handbook" by Peter Eldon

"Magic Circle Magic" by Will Dexter

"Magic Digest" by George B. Anderson

"My Kind of Magic" by Alan Shaxon

"Card Tricks" by Harry Baron

"Expert Hocus Pocus" by Alton C. Sharp

"On Stage" by Tom Ogden

"Do That Again" by Robert Parrish & Oscar Weigle Jr.

"Tarbell Course in Magic Volume Four" by Harlan Tarbell

"The New York Magic Symposium Two" by Symposium Contributors

"Nothing In My Hands" by John Stanfield

"Charlie Miller Lecture Notes" by Charlie Miller

"Greater Magic" by John Northern Hilliard

"Our Mysteries" published by Al Flosso

Additionally I know that there is a version of the trick in the big book of Derek Dingle's magic.

Right now I am on tour, so can't tell you which versions in these books match your description, but I figure it couldn't hurt to give you the above book list.

Best regards and Happy New Year,
Levent
http://www.LeventMagic.com
lui
View Profile
Regular user
Berlin, Germany
108 Posts

Profile of lui
Alexande de Cova has published a version called „Voyager“. When counted the cards are wrapped in handkerchiefs and are placed in wineglasses - than the voyages happens. Cards are counted by volunteers and wrapped by the performer. It relies on a Gypsy Switch and a “gimmick”. Unfortunately, I don't know if it's published in English as well.
Fred-Erik Johanson
View Profile
New user
Estonia
89 Posts

Profile of Fred-Erik Johanson
It is not published in my information, but a very entertaining version is performed by Mac King.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13419 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Simon Lovell has a great comedy version on his "Live" VHS.

It's particularly nice for stand-up and uses 2 spectators.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5854 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
My favorite stage versions use poker cards, but work well for a large audience.

One is McCombical Cards Across, which I think is produced by Fun Inc. It's quite visual because it involves two packets of cards with contrasting backs, so the arrival of the cards can be seen easily. It's fairly easy to do.

The other is a routine by Denny Haney. I don't think that he put it in print, but it involves making mental selections move to the other packet of cards. It has great comedy possibilities. It's not my routine to tip, so don't ask. It requires guts and some handling to pull this one off.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Daryl sells one called "Double Crossed." Two thought-of cards from one fanned packet go to the other. It's highly gimmicked, but it's pretty simple. He has a demo on his site. Derek Dingle's version, in which he places the packets into envelopes, has selected cards cross also, as does Simon Aronson's "Red See Passover." I don't think having selected cards cross adds much to the effect, though. It usually seems like an afterthought.

I like McComb's for stage. The reason being, the audience only sees the backs, and the packets used are from two different decks. Three red-backed cards travel to join blue-backed cards....or vice versa....one at a time or all together. It's very visual from stage. It could even be made up from jumbo cards.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1262 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Does anyone know where the McCombical Cards Across can be purchased?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5854 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2010-01-05 21:38, Mac_Stone wrote:
Does anyone know where the McCombical Cards Across can be purchased?

http://www.magicmethodsonline.com/ssma.html You'll need to scroll down the page to find it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Cards Across Stage Version (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL