The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little Man Demo » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2010-01-03 10:05, twistedace wrote:
I think the trick itself looks ok, not miraculous. In my previous post I was more or less referring to the quality of the actual video. After waiting this long, I expected to see a more refined video.

.... wow ....

Ace, you must have spent hours racking your brain looking for something negative to say. That really takes the cake. Congratulations.

Quote:
On 2010-01-03 12:38, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:

Sure, he's shuffling, but he's doing so with alternating feet, rather than merely sliding forward, so it at least mimics how a real person shuffles. The part where he turns and selects an item creates a powerful illusion that the little guy has an independent will.

Bingo! Good point, MM.
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
JPK
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of JPK
Quote:
On 2010-01-03 12:53, Magical Dimensions wrote:
This would freak people out with the right bizarre scripting. Add a pendulum, candle w/incense and a book of shadows and you have a heart throbbing bizarre routine. Instead of just calling it clay, refer to it as the earth taken from a burial ground of a voodoo priest. Add some color to the clay and even some dirt...

That is why I my suggestion for his name was Voo-Dough.
John Kardel
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2010-01-03 10:47, Robert M wrote:

And, Little Man can be given away at the end of the performance.

Another bingo! What a great promotional item!
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
FredNarlo
View Profile
Loyal user
Been waiting for John Dough for the last
282 Posts

Profile of FredNarlo
Overall, I think it is great!
ebinary
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of ebinary
This effect may be quite enjoyable for audiences. Kids have always loved Hippity Hop Rabbits, et. al. On the other hand, few come away thinking that they actually witnessed wooden rabbits coming to life.

There is a difference between miraculous and entertaining, and I personally think this will fall squarely into the later category. I honestly don't think it has anything to do with being a jaded or unimaginative magician.

Examinability is a red herring: if you do indeed convince anyone of Little Man's miraculous life, you certainly won't let him be killed by dismemberment, as it should terribly upset your audience.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Wow, Steve. I am giving my opinion, I didn't have to search hard for something negative to say. I don't think it looks all that good. Especially not $300 good. I am a real-world close up worker, and it looks as if it would be difficult to transport/carry around while working. Maybe I should write a haiku about how dissapointing this looks after all the hype? This thing was supposed to be ready ages ago, but supposedly they were having trouble not with the trick, but with the video editing. After all that time I did expect a little more that's all. I'm sure there are others on the site that agree with my opinion, and I'm sure there are people who agree with you. We'll agree to disagree, but please don't start attacking me personally for giving an opinion. Can't we all just get along?
FredNarlo
View Profile
Loyal user
Been waiting for John Dough for the last
282 Posts

Profile of FredNarlo
Twisted Ace...to answer you question, a haiku would be nice! Go for it!
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Smile I'll leave that to the poetically inclined. Like I said though, some people will love this and other people won't. That's the wonderful thing about magic, we can all be different.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
For those that are bothered by it not taking independant steps when it has legs, how about forming it into something that does not have legs so can't take steps? How about a penguin which has no legs (only visible feet) which waddles along in a similar manner? Smile
Looks great btw!
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
ebinary
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of ebinary
Quote:
On 2010-01-03 15:22, Angelo M Carbone wrote:
For those that are bothered by it not taking independant steps when it has legs, how about forming it into something that does not have legs so can't take steps? How about a penguin which has no legs (only visible feet) which waddles along in a similar manner? Smile
Looks great btw!

Good thinking, though I doubt the audience will be ready to ad-hoc together a penguin. And penguins don't wear formal shoes ;-) (though they wear tuxes).
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
If penguins in cartoons can wear a tux then they can even wear shoes, hat, scarf and gloves. Dress it up however we want Smile
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
There use to be The Mr Bill show on Saturday Nite Live in the 80's which this reminds me of.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
It was actually the 70's. Man I feel old...
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On 2010-01-03 10:57, Gilgamesh_The_Librarian wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-03 10:53, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
This is pretty miraculous if you think about it. The audience helps make Little Man. Everything is examinable. The performer can walk away before the animation begins....

okay let's take that as written. The little man is made and clothed and the performer steps out of the room to let the guy find the selected object. The audience picks up the container of dough to make a little woman as a present for the little man and...

Come on Jon,

When you leave the room you just say " Watch something amazing...oh and don't move the dough box".

Its all down to audience management.Smile

I'm thinking that although you *can* leave the room, it's probably not a good idea. I'd say just lean back and watch Little Man do his thing along with the audience. Giving the Little Man away at the end is a really nice touch too, IMO.

I'm wondering where I can find a cool little plastic cap and other fashion accessories for Little Man? Can you buy this sort of thing at a toy store?

Robert
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2010-01-03 15:22, Angelo M Carbone wrote:
Looks great btw!

A great idea, Angelo! This is what we all should be doing- applaud Paul for coming through, and working to add our own ideas to the effect. We shouldn't need to have every variation handed to us... we should be willing and able to "take it from there"...

Props to Paul and his group...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
It is entertaining. Let's face it, we all expected a gumby video with him walking and dancing! For what it is, it's pretty cool from the demo. Even though I think it's obvious how it's done, for a layman who helps mold the clay from the beginning and takes it away looking for the "gimmick" and finds nothing, it looks pretty sweet.
Nico Zottos
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Nico Zottos
Quote:
On 2010-01-03 16:56, Robert M wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-03 10:57, Gilgamesh_The_Librarian wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-03 10:53, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
This is pretty miraculous if you think about it. The audience helps make Little Man. Everything is examinable. The performer can walk away before the animation begins....

okay let's take that as written. The little man is made and clothed and the performer steps out of the room to let the guy find the selected object. The audience picks up the container of dough to make a little woman as a present for the little man and...

Come on Jon,

When you leave the room you just say " Watch something amazing...oh and don't move the dough box".

Its all down to audience management.Smile

I'm thinking that although you *can* leave the room, it's probably not a good idea. I'd say just lean back and watch Little Man do his thing along with the audience. Giving the Little Man away at the end is a really nice touch too, IMO.

I'm wondering where I can find a cool little plastic cap and other fashion accessories for Little Man? Can you buy this sort of thing at a toy store?

Robert

Im sure you can buy a doll or action figure at a toy store and use the accessories for that on little man.
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Does the Little Man have to be dressed or can he be totally naked? (ie. just the clay without putting the torn pieces of card). The heart doesn't bother me, but could this be clay too?
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

https://www.devilshank.com/
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
Quote:
On 2010-01-03 18:41, LeeAlex2002 wrote:
Does the Little Man have to be dressed or can he be totally naked? (ie. just the clay without putting the torn pieces of card). The heart doesn't bother me, but could this be clay too?

It can. PHSYS answered that on the other thread.

IMHO the expectations for L.M. where waaay to high and through the roof.
I never expected him to really walk, like a human or clay animation.
But what do you guys want? Paul Harris came up with something extraordinary nobody thought of before... I can see myself performing this with a voodoo type effect or even combining it with Peter's Voodoo Touches.

Only thing I don't really like is the bag. Pehaps Version 2.0 will not need one...Smile
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
Mike.Hankins
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Mike.Hankins
I'm on the fence with this now...
I see great potential and to everyone saying it's not "walking"...
Babys don't walk when they are first "born". But also, think about this: you are creating life from clay. There are no bones or joints. Therefore how can a leg bend? For $300, I'm not so convinced. But it seems to have TONS of potential...I'll have to wait on official reviews.

Mike
Mike.Hankins

Instagram: MHMagic77

Twitter: @HankinsMagic

FaceBook: Yup!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little Man Demo » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL