The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Zen's Ultimate Cards Across (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
Hey, guys.

I recently purchased the book, "MY BEST" by J.G. Thompson pretty much just to learn "Zen's Ultimate Cards Across" (I had read about it in another forum here and thought it sounded interesting), but I find the instructions very confusing.

Is anyone else here familiar with the effect?
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
264 Posts

Profile of murf
Across The Void, by Paul Hallas, has tons of information about a number of Cards Across routines, including Zen's. That's probably not what you wanted to hear, having just bought a book, but if you're interested in Cards Across, Paul's book is almost a "must have".

Murf
Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

I actually thought about buying that book. I may have to check it out.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
RE: " Paul's book is almost a "must have".

What do you mean, ALMOST? LOL.

As a consolation, "My Best" is a good book anyway, so you'll find other stuff in there you can use.

I don't have my copy of "My Best" in the USA with me to check, but I recall someone saying that the book had one of the best descriptions of the effect.

Marcel, I'll pm you.

Paul.
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
887 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
You have to get Across the Void if you are interested in the Cards Across plot. I have worked up a more sleight intensive Zen type plot, one of these days I will finish typing it up, as I have promised to send it to some folks.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Thanks to all.

I actually sat down with the book (MY BEST) for several hours and finally deciphered the method, and personally, I think it's brilliant.

This is bar-none the best variation on Cards Across I have seen, especially for those of us who are awkward at other various card sleights. I've already started working on some variations / presentation of the effect of my own.

Have any of you ever worked with this effect at all?
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
887 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
I have worked with this effect, and this is what I did not like about it.

1. It uses a stack of envelopes, yet you don't use all of them.

2. I wanted to be able to do the effect using a burrowed deck of any kind.

Now, the effect is great, and my opinions are purely personal. However, in order to accomplish what I wanted: only 2 envelopes, handed out (not really for inspection, just to have the props held by the spectators, which cause indirect inspection) and a burrowed deck, I had to add sleights.

If you are interested in discussing the effect in detail, working through issues you may have, etc, feel free to PM me. I do not have the write up from My Best, it was taught to me by a magician, but I think I may be able to help you work through the details if you would like.

I think the cards across is a great effect using a deck of cards. It is a magical effect that isn't a "pick-a-card", so to me it is different. Almost like it isn't really a card trick. I perform the version from Royal Road to card magic all of the time, and it kills. Adding the thought of selection is also great, and the Zen effect increases the size of the audience you can perform this effect for. I still think you could perform the Royal Road version for a large crowd, but I think the Zen version is better.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Zen's Ultimate Cards Across (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL