The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Clear coat on cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
I'm thinking about getting some new cups. I'm curious if anyone here has used cups with clear coat on them. Example: the RNT2 antique finished cups. How does the clear coat hold up? Any problems? Thoughts?

-Lee
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Well, crap... I never thought I would be the looser who gets the "use the search feature, dummy" response. hahahahaha Thanks, Bri!
-Lee
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Hehe, it happens to the best of us, Lee!

For what it's worth, my first ever (half decent) set of cups were old Morrisseys. I got those when I was 17, and they are still holding up (and being used), though I don't know what the clear coat on the newer Morrisseys is like...

Bri
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
I have a set of antique finished Foxy 2 cups. The coating on them is rock solid.

-todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Lint, those are the cups I'm thinking about. What are your thoughts on the set compared to the standard copper? I guess it's safe to assume they won't patina and will keep the same awesome look and color?
-Lee
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2010-01-04 21:37, lint wrote:
I have a set of antique finished Foxy 2 cups. The coating on them is rock solid.

How often have you owned the cups, and how much use have they seen?

Most of the time, it seems clear coats seem to last a very long time, if the various copper Morrissey cups I have owned are any indication.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Hey, Lee. I really dig my set. I honestly wanted a plain copper set, but long ago, Jake had a set of these antiqued ones laying about, and he offered them to me at a steal. I am very happy with them! However, I think I do prefer raw copper and a natural patina.

-todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It depends on what the clear coat actually is. Morrissey clear coated copper cups hold up pretty well, but after really rough use, the lacquer begins to chip away, and they begin to patinize in a spotty manner.

This photo will give you an idea of what I mean, although the lights did conceal part of the patina. http://69.89.31.132/~cupsandb/museum/showCup.php?id=1190

Some musical instrument repairmen can epoxy coat an instrument. I'm not sure what kind of clear coating RnT II used/is using.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Kind of on the subject and kind of off... I acquired some old IP Copper Mini Cups several months back that were coated. I did not care for the finish, so this weekend, I removed the coating. They are now starting to turn for me and, to my eye, will look better.

Bruce
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Bruce,

I have a method of removing clear coat. I tell the Mrs. what cups I have bought recently and let her talk as I don a welding mask.

I find that holding the cups in the mass of hot air that ensues simply melts off the coating!

Bri
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Ooooh, Bri, that was brave!
"But there isn't a door"
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Bri... DUCK!

You're welcome.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Bri… best get a stronger welder's mask with talk like that. I have been lucky so far, not all my new Cups have been discovered... yet.

Bruce
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

I'm safe, guys... she doesn't read this forum!!!!!
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
I don't know what it is they used on them, but for my money, the old original RNT Monti copper cups have the most durable non-tarnish finish. My set must be well over 30 years old. These cups still look as good as new and never even need so much as a wipe-down to retain their lustrous Irish-Setter type colour. The downside is that they will not take as big a load as the RNT II Foxy cups that Todd is talking about.

I've attached a picture from my own collection. Incidentally, the cups in front are the miniature version - among the smallest cups ever produced specifically for cups and balls - nifty little things, but pretty hard to find nowadays. The cups at the rear are the standard size cups.

http://s759.photobucket.com/albums/xx238......2021.jpg

Incidentally, my favourite cups in the old Monti style are the "Bells of St. Mary's" model. What a ring they have! RNT II reproduced them to the same high standard a few years back. Ditto for the copper model.

Fortasse
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Fortasse: The link provided is broken.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

I would wholeheartedly agree with that. Mine are still like brand new. Bill talks about the process they used in this thread...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=115

Sadly, the link above didn't work for me...

Bri
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-01-05 12:21, mindyourmagic wrote:
Bruce,

I have a method of removing clear coat. I tell the Mrs. what cups I have bought recently and let her talk as I don a welding mask.

I find that holding the cups in the mass of hot air that ensues simply melts off the coating!

Bri

WOOOOOOH!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
http://s759.photobucket.com/albums/xx238......2021.jpg

Sorry about the earlier link. Here it is again. Hope it works this time.

Fortasse
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Clear coat on cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL