The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Abbott's Tri-Fly-Silk is Ken Brooke's Fred the Flea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I just recently made this discovery! I have the L&L Publication 'KEN BROOKE'S MAGIC PLACE' there is a reprint of the instructions for 'FRED THE FLEA' , this is just one of the tricks I never got around to ordering. Now 40 years later, I wish I had ordered it, as it would fit perfectly into a part of the act.

Surfing the web and some of my regular sites, I stumbled across this trick. It almost sounded the same, but I was not certain. I ordered it from Daytona Magic and it was not the same at all. It was only the one time leap from center to end glass. Not feeling comfortable I did some more searching and found 'Abbott's Tri-Fly-Silk' it was in their catalog and advertised in the old 'New Tops Magazine' for years, as far back as the 1960's. I always passed it by as I was doing 'Acrobatic Silks' for the seemingly magic effect the finale had built into this item.

Anyway, I finally ordered the 'Tri-Fly-Silk' from Abbott's, it turns out that it is the same effect as 'Fred the Flea' were the silk not only jumps from middle to end glass, but will jump from an end glass, over the middle glass , landing in the opposite end glass visibly. It is not exactly the same configuration as the Ken Brooke item, but the mechanics is very similar. As always Ken Brooke handling is much better and does not tip anything to the audience.

I really don't care whose came 1st, all I care is I found a good substitute for the effects in the book. Two very good routines, one by Ken Brooke and another by the very creative Roy Johnson, who Ken Brooke believed in so deeply and used many of his ideas in his offerings.

So if you were interested in this effect, and did not want to make all the apparatus yourself, as many on the Café are not DIY enthusiast, this is my conclusion after reading many of the post. Then buy this trick from Abbott's Magic.

Yes, this effect is the old Ken Allen Monkey Bars type effect that a number magic tricks have spawned from over the years. I just made this discovery and thought maybe someone else was looking for an entertaining effect to add to their shows. The price is right for 2010. http://abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Tri-Fly-S......silk.htm The props are simple and working is easy. Recommended.

Click here to view attached image.
tnmagicgator
View Profile
New user
Fayetteville, TN
60 Posts

Profile of tnmagicgator
Wmhegbli,are you willing to share the Brooke and Johnson routines? If not, where did you find them? This sounds like a crowd pleaser and good be fun. Thanks for the posting.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Ickle Pickle sells a very nice version of this effect too.
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Ickle Pickle the silent invisible manufacturer of quality magic effect!
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I would like to learn more about the rountine as well. I have a flea circus I came up with that uses stage or parlor size props and this may play well in my flea effect.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Okay, I guess I was not clear enough. L&L publication, meaning a book, written by Anthony Brahams, printed by (seemingly) L&L Publications and sold by them. The title of the book is "KEN BROOKE'S MAGIC PLACE".
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
I took a look on L&L's site earlier today, and the book wasn't there. It may be OOP. Contents can be seen here.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
The book is out of print, but turns up at magic shops often enough.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Zanadu magic used to make them, with dollar snatchers.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
524 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
Warren Stephens had a beautiful version using what else but rubber bands!
I used one for years!
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I think you are speaking of his 'Swish' which is very different then this effect, his 'Swish' vanished silks from a large plastic goblet on a tray.

He did make a 2 glass version of this, really quality all the way for Warren Stephens items. It was only a 2 glass version, one small and one larger. it was a mechanical wonder, worked very smooth, you thought it contained some kind of reel but it was just the way the levers were designed. It is a beautiful piece.

I think the lack of the 3rd glass was a mistake in this version. Of course I never seen the routine, and with Warren that was usually the key to his magic products. He was a very good performer. With innovative ideas.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
My thinking: If you're just using two glasses, why do you need a tray? Using three glasses is more logical because you need some kind of tray if you are standing without a table.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2010-01-05 17:48, wmhegbli wrote:
Ickle Pickle the silent invisible manufacturer of quality magic effect!

LOL!
They do very nice things!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
524 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
Swish was different. The trick I mentioned had 3 glasses on a tray with a great lever on the back that flipped the silk into the center glass in an instant.
It was called "what hoppen Silks"
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Abbott's Tri-Fly-Silk is Ken Brooke's Fred the Flea (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL