The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » ABC blocks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
Does anyone use the ABC blocks and what kind of reaction do they get?
Thanks
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
Phred
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Phred
I just purchased a set after reading Ginn's routine in Prof. magic for Children. Can't wait to try them out. (Sorry, doesn't really answer your question).
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I guess my feelings are that you can get any great repsonse from a group of kids with most any trick that you perform. It is all in the presentation of the effect and the entertainment value you provide. Think creatively with your routines and stories and get the kids laughing and having fun with it.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Looking for a set of these also. So many different makers.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7437 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I use a set made by Mel Babcock: ABC Blocks at House of Babcock.

They are gorgeous! Even though these are finely made props, I still use them in my show all the time, rather than let them collect dust on the shelf.

I have done ABC Blocks probably about 1000 times, primarily the routine that was mentioned earlier, from David Ginn's book. I am sure that it has changed a little over the years, to become my own, and reflect my personality.

I enjoy them. BTW, I don't do them in the same show as Die Box. Two block tricks in the same show, isn't really something I wanted to be doing.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Those are not bad prices...

Owen Magic just sent me this:

"The current price is $495.00 not including shipping. The blocks are not in stock but will be going into production and should be ready within the next few months. We will keep your request on file and e-mail you when they are ready. Please call or e-mail us if you have further questions."
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1836 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I can highly recommend the Mel Babcock ABC Blocks.

The Babcock blocks are high quality all the way.
The only thing I changed was to add a thin layer of flocking to the interior of the shell so it is quieter and while I was at it I also added flocking to the interior walls of the wood tube.

Quote:
On 2004-07-11 10:50, MarkTripp wrote:

Owen Magic just sent me this:

"The current price is $495.00 not including shipping. The blocks are not in stock but will be going into production and should be ready within the next few months. We will keep your request on file and e-mail you when they are ready. Please call or e-mail us if you have further questions."

Mark ,

I read the description of the Owen ABC Blocks from their catalog and it sounds like they've added an extra phase to the routine that is not possible with the regular ABC Blocks effect .

Here's the description of the Owen blocks from their web site (same as in the print catalog)

Click here!

Quote:

In this new version of the classic ABC Blocks, Bill Taylor has expanded the plot so that the original effect becomes the climax of a surprising routine. Three differently colored giant alphabet blocks, which have a hole bored through their center, are dropped in ABC order onto a polished vertical rod on a small base. The performer covers the blocks with a tube that's just tall enough to conceal the blocks, but leaves the upper few inches of the rod exposed. The performer points out that the blocks are locked in position by the tube on four sides, the base on the bottom, and the rod running through a three. The blocks cannot even turn; there is no way they can possibly change position!

Yet when the tube is lifted, the "B" block has jumped to the top! The tube is shown empty and the performer returns the troublesome "B" block to its correct spot and the blocks are covered again. The audience thinks it's a about the order of the blocks, but when the tube is lifted the "B" block has vanished entirely!

After the tube is shown empty, the "B" block is revealed to have traveled to any location of the performers choosing.

kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1867 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Couple of things. First I think it is Steve Taylor who put an ABC together but he put stickers on the blocks of different pictures instead of using A,B,C.

I do the effect where I have a clear force bag with the letters A,B,C in there. I force the B and that is the one we vanish. Play very well and it gets someone involoved in the routine instead of doing it by yourself. Also I have added music to this routine to really jazz it up.

Best,
Ken
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I also recomment the Mel Babcock Sets. They come in different sizes and are excellent quality at a fair price.
Ken... what kind of music do you use?
Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1867 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I use music from Arthur Stead. http://www.arthurstead.com

Ken
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
The fact you can change the pictures on the front means you can make this trick do or be anything you like!

Three bears
Traffic lights
etc etc.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3456 Posts

Profile of Julie
I am a fan of Mel Babcock's products, too. His JUMBO set is very appropriate for a stage presentation.

For the record, Viking makes a reasonably priced and good quality "travelling block". This set does not have pictures or letters already painted/decaled on and is modernistic in design (the tube).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » ABC blocks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.52 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL