The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in New York City? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
In the early 80's I performed daily magic and juggling for those seated on the steps of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. There were many performers and we performed in a civilized rotation. Cops only busted the mimes while in actual traffic on 5th ave pulling the buses with invisible ropes.

It was bliss. When busted you went to a police headquarters within Central Park...beautiful there!
it was all nice and friendly.

Forget Times Square...today I walked through Times Square and passed 4 different people dressed as Elmo and 4 different people dressed as Sponge Bob...all looking for tips from photographs??? What is up with that?

Seek the steps of the MET! Coveted time slot was the closing of the museum.
It once was paradise where if you were good enough performing... the hotdog vendors would give you a buck off your hotdog.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2010-02-05 05:08, Joe Mauro wrote:
In the parks, they don't seem to bother street performers/musicians.

On Times Square, the police do chase people,unlessyou have an in, like the Naked Cowboy ( he actually is an employee of the Tiems Square Association ).

So is it possible to get employed by the Times Square Association?
(Not that I would, I'm in New England for cryin' out loud. I'm just wondering.)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
...apparently I have killed another thread! Smile Smile Smile
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
I found this on Google looking up Busking laws, and I just have to make a point...

Isn't David Blaine in NYC????
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2011-06-12 12:30, satellite23 wrote:
I found this on Google looking up Busking laws, and I just have to make a point...

Isn't David Blaine in NYC????

I don't get your point? What does DB have to with Busking?

There was event where one of the parks in TS was hiring buskers to perform.
The number of people in TS is always large and I bet most of them are
tourists. Sound like a good spot to me....
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
It just seemed that since DB s there, there should be a ton more magicians trying to catch a certain eye....
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2011-06-12 15:39, satellite23 wrote:
It just seemed that since DB s there, there should be a ton more magicians trying to catch a certain eye....

You would think; and I'm sure there those that have tried. I remember at Lincoln Center where DB was in
the water bubble. On the night where he was to do his stunt there were a lot of guys our there doing
magic in course of that event. But you have to remember that what DB does is quite different from actual
busking.

But as far as buskers (doing magic) go; I only know of 1 or 2 that works the streets consistently. The rest work only
with the parks/organization when the they are alowed or alloted their time slot.

solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2010-03-02 23:10, Joe Mauro wrote:
A friend told me that there are Magicians in Central Park in the summer, doing classics like cups and balls, etc. That's good to know. Such a big, beautiful place should have Buskers.

That might be bobert, who works the C&B in Central Park and Times Square area when he is in town. We shared a pitch recently in Central Park and had a blast...

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in New York City? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL