The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and traveling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vayron
View Profile
Loyal user
Belgium
229 Posts

Profile of Vayron
Hello,

I bought some expensive cups for my show, and I would like to know how you protect your cups when you are travelling. Do you put them in a box?

Thanks for your answer.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Vayron… When I vacation or travel for business, I usually put my Cups in their bag and cradle them amongst my clothing within my suitcase. I have not had any problems, nor has anyone questioned them within my carry-on luggage… but who knows with the new changes?

Bruce
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Put them in their bag. Then take a pair of heavy socks, and put the bag into one of the socks. Then put the bag in the sock into the other sock. Put this in your carry-on baggage. If they ask what it is, do NOT tell them that they are sample nose cones for Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles.

Seriously, the packing thing I just let you know about is the way to give them the best protection. I've carried cups to and from Germany, Austria, the Netherlands, the UK, and of course, back to the US. I've never had a problem. If they ask, I tell them that I am a magician and these are used in a magic trick.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
See if you can get a camera lens case that will fit them. Zoom lens cases work well & come in all sorts of sizes. The big auction site is the best place to look for a good price.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Bill,

Thanks for the sock idea. I do travel with my beater working cups. I tend to travel with socks. I think I can make this happen!

KG
Vayron
View Profile
Loyal user
Belgium
229 Posts

Profile of Vayron
When I say travelling, I would say on the road, not necessary by plane.

For the moment, I put my cups in their bag, and I put them in a fanny pack with all the props I need: balls, wand and load balls. But with the Sherwoods, the fanny pack is too small.

Thanks for your pieces of advice.
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
I second Richard's suggestion about camera cases. Can pick up some of the old vintage leather-over-hard-shell cases pretty cheaply off of eBay. Just make sure they're the right fit.

Fortasse
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
You can also use a shaving kit bag....I have never had a problem travelling with my cups like this.
Mobius
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I found a hard leather shoe polish kit bag that Paul Fox cups fit in perfectly.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have a whole bunch of lens cases that I purchased prior to the WMS last year. There are only two sets of cups I haven't been able to find a lens case for, and those are the two largest van Dokkum sets. Actually, I did find a lens case that would hold the van Dokkum chick cups, but I couldn't talk my brother into letting me have it. It is the case for his big Canon telephoto lens.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I use a piece of 4" plastic drain pipe from Lowe's with end caps, cut to size. Cups and socks fit nicely inside, and it can take a lot of abuse without hurting the cups...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's a really good way. Brett Sherwood packs his cups for shipping using something like that. He uses the ventilated black pipe. He wraps the cups with lots of bubble wrap.
Then, he puts them into the pipe.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Bill :

What about a camera case for your van Dokkum "Monster" cups? Must need the same case they use for the Hubble Telescope to hold those!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
When I take the cups on the road for the lecture, I usually carry 50 sets with me. I only take one of the Monster cups. I also take the micro cups. They make a nice contrast sitting in the display case.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
How about a military artillery case? Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
As a matter of interest, Bill, when you take your cups on the road which sets typically get the biggest reaction from spectators?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's hard to say. The sheer size of the Monster cup always provokes a reaction. The battered cups that Gazzo used also tend to get a reaction as well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
As for traveling with cups I use rock climber chalk bags to hold my cups and sandwich them between two pairs of pants on eithe side . It works just fine for me so far .
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
Use some common sense!
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
If they are realy expencive cups I would use pvc pipe, anyways common sense is not so common.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and traveling (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL