The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Airhead Rudy question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2441 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Does anybody that has this find that the balloon stands forward in the eyehook instead of straight up? If so, does anyone have a solution to fix the issue? Thanks.

-Paul
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
Do you have the clip on your Rudy? Mine has clip above the eyehook.
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2441 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
The clip on mine is below the eyehook. You pull the inflated balloon's stem through the eye hook and clip it to hold it in place. At least that is how I understand it.
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
I have found stretching the neck of the balloon prior to blowing it up gives it some slack and helps it sit better thru the eyehook/clasp. There is still a bit of a bow, but not to bad...
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
When you draw face on balloon, make sure your draw the face on the part of the balloon that the audience can see and not in the middle of the balloon.

Drawing on the balloon is a FUN part of the routine because the kids tell you what to draw next.

I do AHR in my Reading and School shows.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2441 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
So it sounds like this is common and to be expected then. The solution is to just deal with it by drawing the face on the front of the balloon as the audience sees it.
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1240 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Another Question - Is the nail that pops the balloon supposed to be bent toward his left ear?
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
No, mine is straight....
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1240 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Thanks. In practice my balloon wasn't poping each time. Now I know why.
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
I saw David Ginn use a similar prop. He used gaffer stamp to keep the balloon upright.

I've got Sammy the Seal (I use tape, straight nail) and the Christmas Tree (no tape needed, straight nail.)
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I have found that it's important not to let any air escape before you tie the balloon in any effect where the balloon should pop.

- Mary Mowder
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
That is to say, become proficient at blowing the balloon up to just the right size first try so that you don't have to let air out to come back down to the correct size.

Balloon twisters make a point of over filling the balloon, then letting some air out to keep their balloons from popping.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
I pretty much use the routine that comes with it, and when it's time to release and pop the balloon, my right hand goes behind to release the gimmick and at the same time I push the balloon vertical and say " Don't frown Rudy, you should be proud of yourself, hold your head high" and at the same time I release the gimmick. Works for me.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1240 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Good advice everyone. TommyJ - I really like that ending. Thanks for sharing.
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Ending for AHR

If you want to get A HEAD in life (break balloon) READ BOOKS.

I use a BIG yellow balloon. Shows up well from stage or platform.

Another trick that is great for Reading shows is Barry Mitchell's "I Can"
It has a great message.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
I steady (and hold) the ballon (with a slight tilt backwards) with my free hand just before releasing the other head. pops everytime! (I'd rather do that and know it will be 100% than to look foolish trying to push the ballon into the nail after the head appeared)
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Have to jump in here folks....why is everyone using a nail in the gimmick? Mine has a thin pin in it...something smaller than a nail has to be better, huh? Put a small bottle cork on the pin to protect the point when not in use and keep the pin sharp and a little lubricated...kinda like the needle through balloon. Put a small bottle cork tip on the pin when you put it away to protect it (mine came with one....) and you're good to go. I was lucky enough to pick up an older version in new condition and that's the way mine works. Nails are for woodneedles and pins are for balloons. Take the nail out and put a good strong needle or pin in it? Just a few thoughts. Hope this helps. Best, Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1240 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I just replaced my bent nail with a pin. Thanks for the guidance Bob.

Question - I'm thinking I won't call him an airhead. I will probably soften it to something like...

"One Saturday he had a marathon day watching TV. He watched so much TV that his brain got smaller and smaller, it was like it vanished (open the TV to show the head gone) and became a squishy balloon. So, let me blow up his balloon head."

I haven't actually used this prop before, but I can't picture me calling a kid an airhead. Am I being too cautious?
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
I've never (so far) had a complaint about the airhead name, laughs but nothing more
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
One thing I like to do is instead of using the tv prop as a tv, is use it as a computer monitor because kids today probably spend more times on computers, games, etc. than tv.....Happy to be able to help someone else for a change Tony! Best, Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Airhead Rudy question (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL