The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Best silk blendo ideas? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stu Turner
View Profile
New user
London
79 Posts

Profile of Stu Turner
Firstly my apologies. I posted this in a different forum having not noticed a section specifically for silks.

Can anybody recommend a good blendo that can be done in the hands ideally, and not requiring any obvious props (bags, tubes etc)

I'm routining an effect that will have me produce approx. six 18" silks using the Dream Silk method. Once produced I would then like to visually transform these into a 36" silk or foulard.

Due to using Dream Silks to produce the individual silks, they have to be clean and can't have any attachments such as velcro, magnets, poppers etc.

Someone has suggested John Booth's method in one of Rice's books which I shall have to go and research.

Any other suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Stu
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
The term blendo silks originally involved a hand held prepared gimmick which becomes the produced large "combined" silk. This is what is standard as "blendo". Usually three smaller silks become a large silk with elements or colors from the vanished smaller silks. It can be one of many patterns and designs including flags, sunburst, tie-dye etc. Go to most silk companies Hugmagic, Bob Sanders, Peter White all have the apparatus you require. I produced a blendo effect where three silks turn into a flag on a flagstick-called Flagtastick. I also have "Blendo Tie", where three silks become a mens tie.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7556 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Six 18" silks is going to be a bit much to do a non apparatus blendo. I think even the Traditional Rice Blendos only did 3- 18" silks.

It could possible be done with a bag type blendo, which I can make, but again I am concerned about the bulk of the 18" silks. Are they 6 or 5 momme or the heavier 8 momme?

Hope that helps.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
With your restrictions, no magic changing props, I do not see any way to accomplish this with silks from Dream Silks. That was the problem with many of Marconick's effects, they are effects in themselves.

With six silks and the attachments on them, it is to bulky for a sleight of hand method as suggest, then this method also requires certain clothing requirements as I remember.

An effect of this nature, production of 6 silks, is typically used to produce something larger from the quantity of silks.

As mentioned in the previous thread, changing props is your best solution. Now if you use the alternative method of silk production (Rice's Diminishing Silks, sold in booklet form or Mr. Electrics video) and only use 2 silks, and if you want to wear a vest or similar clothing, then you can use the method mentioned in the Rice Encyclopedia.

I believe you are attacking this from the wrong direction. Instead of buying a silk trick to fit the finale, it would be easier to buy a blendo effect and use the silks for a production. Your finale dictates the introduction to the finale.
Stu Turner
View Profile
New user
London
79 Posts

Profile of Stu Turner
Thanks for the words of wisdom guys.

As of yet I don't have the silks and the 6 I stated is only a theoretical figure. It could be a smaller amount but any less than 4 and it seems a waste of the lovely dream silk production.

I'll give you a history of what I've done before and try and keep it brief. I used to do this in a comedy double act and now I'm trying to adapt the routine to fit a solo performance.

My colleague used to produce 6 silks via Dream Silk. 3x white and 3x black. He'd pass them to me one by one to hold. Under the misdirection of his productions, I would load these through a small loop attached to a sleeve pull as well as loading the balled 36" silk. He kept back the last silk and did a single colour change to a blue one before passing to me.

I'd then shake the silks which caused them to pass up my sleeve under cover of the 36" unfurling. When shaken out, this was a large tie dye silk with a blue centre and black and white rings round.

I shan't ramble on but the large silk was then used for a comedy gag which is staying in the new act.

The blendo method was invented by a friend of ours who wrote for us and directed the act. It was a beautiful effect but not one that can be done solo sadly.

Reading all the responses I've had, it looks as though I won't find a bare hand version using that many silks and will have to resort to using props after all.

Thanks again for your time.

Stu
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I see no reason why you cannot do the same effect as one person. You only have to obtain the secret device under cover of the handful of silks. This is easily accomplished with the addition of a silk while displaying and arranging the group. Thus you have at hand the necessary device to create the vanish. This method was used in a famous cut & restored rope effect and it can transition here as well.

As for the large silk production, just use the method in the Diminishing Silks Book, if you need a different method for the one you previously devised. Here is the link to the booklet: http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20C......lors.htm
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Has anyone done a blendo using the diamond cut silks? The reduced volume could work with six diamond cuts.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7556 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
What about doing it with a container that you put the silks into? It could then be Topited or maybe vested.

Again, the diamond silks is a good idea but if you need full silks go to 5 or 6 momme and you will significantly cut the bulk.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Stu Turner
View Profile
New user
London
79 Posts

Profile of Stu Turner
I don't think I could use the pull method for a solo act. It leaves a large collection of silks in my sleeve that would eventually work their way up my back and then fall out.

When there were 2 of us, I used to go off stage as he did a solo routine and ditch the pull and silks.

The idea of the diamond silks is a good one though - less material to get rid of.

Stu
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I meant using the diamond silks in an Arnold Furst type blendo where the silks shoot into the larger foulard.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Stu, that can be fixed with a simple plastic ring held with a pin at the location of the armpit. I know what you are speaking of, I had that happen to me a long time ago with a trick. The audience didn't even tell me of the line of silks trailing behind me, and there were kinds in the audience.

So you have cancelled out many of the suggestions given, so what direction do you think you will go now?
Jeffrey Korst
View Profile
New user
SF Bay Area
92 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Korst
Stu, I know the Booth blendo can be done with at least 4 18" silks. I did it 2 shows a night for many years. Hand size will make a difference, of course.

if you need an unprepared 36" for the following, you could pull it through the hands and double it, ditch the blendo and 18" silks and proceed with the plain one. See Geoffrey Buckingham for the doubling I used.
Why, yes. I do need new pictures. Why do you ask?

Jeffrey Korst
San Francisco Bay Area Magician
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Years ago my friend Jon Schneck used to do a blendo, where the big finale foulard had four colors. In order to make the beginning silks have the least amount of bulk he did it with two 18" silks that were half-dyed with two colors lengthwise. So he started with two silks but it looked like more because you saw a total of four colors.

I hope this makes sense!

Levent
http://www.LeventMagic.com
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1886 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I think Jerry Mentzer in one of his lecture notes had a non-gimmicked blendo routine. You can try contacting him through his website
http://www.magicmethodsonline.com/aboutus.html
to check for sure. It might also be in his book _Silk Potpourri. But again, check with Jerry to be sure.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1886 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I think Jerry Mentzer in one of his lecture notes had a non-gimmicked blendo routine. You can try contacting him through his website
http://www.magicmethodsonline.com/aboutus.html
to check for sure. It might also be in his book _Silk Potpourri. But again, check with Jerry to be sure.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Stu Turner
View Profile
New user
London
79 Posts

Profile of Stu Turner
My friend who invented the original 2 person blendo thinks he may have come up with a solo version. He has a brilliant magical mind and comes up with some pure gems.

I'm seeing him this week to see what he's come up with. We might consider tracking down a copy of Rice's Volume 3 for Booth's idea as our next port of call or Jerry.

Sadly the diagonal silk idea won't work, as I first thought, as the Dream Silk production does require square silks. I'm told it is Marconick's after all.

I'll keep you posted on progress.

Cheers,

Stu
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Easy to track down volume 3 here: http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rices%20Enc......agic.htm
Stu Turner
View Profile
New user
London
79 Posts

Profile of Stu Turner
Thanks for the tip hegbli. I'm tying to find a copy in the UK as it always costs so much to ship stuff in from the US.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1872 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Apparatus-wise, I've used Abbott's 36" Rainbow Blendo for years. Heavy 8 Momme China Silk, hand-sewn gimmick, troupeable, dependable and flashy and colorful.

Can't go wrong with Abbot's Blendos, in my opinion. Check it out here: http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Blendo-ABBblendo.htm

For Do-it-yourselfers: Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic is THE BIBLE OF BLENDOS.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Best silk blendo ideas? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL