The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sheep and goat effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
In a recent post, one of the members posted
Quote:
Actually, there has been on repeatedly replicable psi related phenomena - the sheep/goat effect.

Well, this totally intrigued me, so I went online and did some research (ok, I googled it.)

I'm having trouble finding many postings about it other than on many forums, etc. where they either simply restate the effect without attributions, or they point to the same one or two articles.

The research material I *can* find doesn't even come close to supporting "repeatable" OR "replicable", which intrigues me even further.

http://www.skepticalinvestigations.org/o......ver3.htm
Quote:
The best known recent instance of the Sheep-Goat effect was that in which Marilyn Schlitz ( a sheep) and Richard Wiseman (a supergoat) carried out experiments with the same subjects and on two occasions got very different results, hers positive and his negative.

http://www.susanblackmore.co.uk/Articles/si92.html
Quote:
Blackmore and Troscianko (1985) found no differences between sheep and goats in SRG for strings of digits 1 to 5 or in the ability of sheep and goats to discriminate random sequences from biased ones. However, Brugger, Landis, and Regard (1990) did.

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-......and.html
Quote:
The same rather confused pattern of findings has also emerged from work investigating belief in psychic ability and scores on critical thinking tests

So, I'm hoping some of you can point me to more information, preferably some that will actually describe the controls, protocols, etc.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I had a helluva time the first time I tried this stuff. But as as a Highlander, the only real advice I can give here is: when you travel up to the hills with the lads to do your thing with the sheep and goats and they open the back doors of the van...... move as fast as you possibly can, because..... you just don't wanna be left with an ugly one.
Anyway, I know where you're coming from bruv. Send on snaps if you get the chance.

bobser
ps: If you do this properly, YES, your eyes WILL roll to the back of your head.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Bobser: ok, it's official.....you scare me.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2010-01-09 12:52, bobser wrote:
I had a helluva time the first time I tried this stuff. But as as a Highlander, the only real advice I can give here is: when you travel up to the hills with the lads to do your thing with the sheep and goats and they open the back doors of the van...... move as fast as you possibly can, because..... you just don't wanna be left with an ugly one.
Anyway, I know where you're coming from bruv. Send on snaps if you get the chance.

bobser
ps: If you do this properly, YES, your eyes WILL roll to the back of your head.

bobser leaves out the best advice, buy wellies one size too big to fit the hooves in...
I've asked to be banned
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Yeah Iain, but remember, when you insert those hooves, have them facing you, or kissing is simply impossible.
C'mon Brody, don't be scared. We can't really fly till we let go and trust.
I do hope someone is writing this stuff down. Excellent stuff for younger guys I'd say.
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Bobser:

The only people writing this down is the local constabulary. Besides, I never kiss on the first date.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Odd that "goats" like Wiseman and Blackmore always seem to get negative results.

Barry
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Actually Blackmore for over 30 years was a sheep. If you go to her website, shown above, you can read her "blog" about her career. Very interesting stuff.
Pi314
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
114 Posts

Profile of Pi314
Do the reports state whether they used Welsh sheep or not?
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
... that's an excellent question. I believe Welsh sheep don't kiss. Not really. They just go: "Mmmmmmmm" which is not the same.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2010-01-11 10:50, bobser wrote:
... that's an excellent question. I believe Welsh sheep don't kiss. Not really. They just go: "Mmmmmmmm" which is not the same.

they never call baaaaaa-ck either...
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The fact that certain researchers (a minority) have obtained negative results may simply illustrate that confirmation bias cuts both ways. What is interesting is that meta analysis of all of the data going back to the 1940's shows statistically significant results that support the sheep/goat hypothesis.

Good thoughts,

Bob Cassidy
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
And one piece of advice Bobser game me... do it at the edge of a cliff, that way the sheep fights back harder.

(Baaaa)
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Mastermindreader:

Ah, poifect...can you point me to some of these papers, etc? Also, I think that Blackmore got negative results even when she was a believer. Not sure though, so will have to go re-read her site.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Well remembered Drew, and as always, nice one Iain.
Mr. Cassidy, if you're going to be sensible about this topic and not childish and giggly we will have to ask you to leave the forum.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Brody - You'll find an excellent overview, with citations of various studies, at:

http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~bdj10/psi/delanoy/node6.html

Bobser - Don't worry. I can only be sensible for so long - it is erratic behavior for me and I expect it will soon pass.

PS: Do any of you know a good way of removing wool from a zipper?

Bob
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Quote:
On 2010-01-11 18:12, mastermindreader wrote:

PS: Do any of you know a good way of removing wool from a zipper?

Bob

Bob, you have to 'ram' it.
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Mastermindreader

thanks so much. just what I was looking for.
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1249 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
On a different thread that I think is locked, when the sheep/goat effect was brought up, Mr. Ben Harris said something like "This makes sense." Does anyone know what he meant? Ben, are you out there? Did you mean that there is a logical or scientific explanation? Would you care to clarify what you meant?

Thanks!

-Jeff
Jeff Travilla - I own an advertising agency to help finance my magic addiction.
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
I'm pretty sure it was sarcasm on his part
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sheep and goat effect (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL