The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Card College Lightest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
LIGHTEST AND LAST!

CARD COLLEGE LIGHTEST
Card College Lightest is the final volume of Roberto Giobbi’s acclaimed “Light” trilogy. In it are taught 18 thoroughly astonishing tricks of professional quality, complete with performing psychology, presentations, valuable tips and insights, all of which contribute to making these sleightless effects into near miracles. The tricks Giobbi has selected this time range from time-tested classics to little-known wonders by masters of the craft, including Larry Becker, Henry Christ, Aldo Colombini, Paul Curry, Alex Elmsley, Karl Fulves, Martin Gardner, Stewart James, Howard Adams, Richard Vollmer and more.

Also explained are simple methods for achieving false shuffles, deck switches and other techniques usually attainable only by demanding sleight-of-hand.

Roberto Giobbi is acknowledged worldwide as the finest living teacher of card magic. His Card College series is a best-seller in five languages, and Card College Lightest is the newest example of why he and his works are held in such high regard by magicians of all levels, from rank amateur to seasoned professional. If you have read his books, you will need no urging to buy Card College Lightest. If you have yet to encounter Roberto Giobbi, you will find Card College Lightest a delightful introduction.

152 pages in hardcover.

Special Introductory Price--Buy Card College Lightest from us by March 10, 2010 for only $29. (Normal price--$35)

Expected to ship around February 8, 2010.

*Buy the entire Card College Light trilogy (Light, Lighter, Lighest) for only $90, a $15 savings (with free shipping in the U.S., Canada and Mexico)!
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
Where the hell did you get that Peo ?
Looks like a great news to begin with 2010 !
Smile Smile Smile
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2010-01-10 16:22, Mago Gregorio wrote:
Where the hell did you get that Peo ?
Looks like a great news to begin with 2010 !

e-mail from Hermetic Press.
magicdano
View Profile
Regular user
Danny Habel
145 Posts

Profile of magicdano
I know Lightest is now out. Aae there any reviews published yet? Any discussion of the quality of this latest book here at the Café?
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I got Lightest a few days back, still reading it. It's completly different made up then the other two which had three effects comcined in a "chain" per chapter. Short foreword by Lennart Green.
Will ley you know more when I have read through it.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1615 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Thanks -- would love to know more and see a TOC or list of effects.
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
723 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
In the new Genii magazine, there is an excerpt from the book. Great trick. Can't wait to get the book and complete the series.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
You should complete the collection with the DVDs which show that what Roberto is teaching looks even better than it reads: A great tuition from a real master. Don't ignore the video to have a chance of catching up on sleights that you may have discarded too quickly when reading using the "it's good but it's not for me" excuse. There is nothing in Roberto's work that is not practical: what a feat! (and in French "What a foot!")
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
817 Posts

Profile of magico
Quote:
On 2010-02-26 20:27, charliemartin wrote:
In the new Genii magazine, there is an excerpt from the book. Great trick. Can't wait to get the book and complete the series.

The Einstein Card Trick in Genii is a variation of the one in the book. One thing I did not like was the moving for two cards for each letter, so what I did was instead of it was to state in the patter that when he was young he was known as "The Great Einstein" and have the spectator move one card for each letter.
Richard.J.E
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Richard.J.E
Quote:
On 2010-02-28 09:39, Lawrence O wrote:
You should complete the collection with the DVDs which show that what Roberto is teaching looks even better than it reads: A great tuition from a real master. Don't ignore the video to have a chance of catching up on sleights that you may have discarded too quickly when reading using the "it's good but it's not for me" excuse. There is nothing in Roberto's work that is not practical: what a feat! (and in French "What a foot!")

Agreed. Card College is a book series I refer to daily. As for the DVD's/CD's, wish I could get hold of them in the UK but I have not found a source. However I am going to compliment them with the Royal Road 5 DVD set.

As for the Light Series, still waiting to get hold of all 3 at some point, quite excited though and the fact that L. Green has had a few words to say makes me even more interested as he is like Roberto a true master of the Pasteboards.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1615 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Thought about picking this up but there seem to be few reviews. Anybody who have it care to comment?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6693 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2010-02-28 09:39, Lawrence O wrote:

Hi Lawrence. I'm not disagreeing with your advice to view the DVD's. I just disagree that the routines look better than they read. Images in my head are almost always better than images I view. Giobbi is a good writer, and his descriptions are more than sufficient. Also, reading a sleight would would make me less likely to "discard it to quickly" as would watching it. Indeed the written word- for me - is far more effective in arousing my interest in an effect, sleight, or subtelty than an actual viewing. But that's me. I do agree with you that the DVD's should be viewed, but only as companions to the written works.

Rodney
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1121 Posts

Profile of Chris
Card College Lightest is now also available as ebook http://www.lybrary.com/card-college-lightest-p-79188.html

And if you buy all three volumes you get $12 discount - a total of only $26 for all three volumes. These three volumes are in my opinion probably the best (e)books on self-working card magic. Of course, there are many more interesting works on sleight-less effects, and there are a lot more amazing routines found somewhere else, but as a total package these are the best.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1615 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Chris, I'm having problems with the math. How are all three $26?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
If you put all three in the shopping cart, the total comes to $66.00, including the $12.00 discount. I think it was just a typo...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1121 Posts

Profile of Chris
Yes sorry a typo. Should be $66 for all three.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
This book is a little disappointing if you already have a bunch of mostly sleight-light books in your library.

Through the Magic Looking Glass can be found as Make the Cards Match in Karl Fulves' New Self-Working Card Tricks.

The Magic Card is almost exactly the same as A Real Find in Bob Longe's Card Tricks Galore and A Good Indication in 101 Amazing Card Tricks, also by Longe.

Follow the Leader can be found under the same title in 101 Amazing Card Tricks.

Gemini Calling is just Gemini Twins from Fulves' More Self-working Card Tricks, but using business cards in place of the prediction cards taken from the deck.

Cheers, Mr. Galasso can be found as It Must Be Mind Reading from Magic with Cards by Garcia and Schindler, as well as any book that talks about the SS system (Scarne on Card Tricks).

Posi-Negative Coordination is the same as Posi-Negative Cards in More Self-Working Card Tricks by Karl Fulves.

Further than Ever is just Further Than That, which can be found (among other places) in later versions of Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic.

Carlstadt Plus is just a very simple trick using the CC f***e, which can be found in many places, including Bob Longe's World's Greatest Card Tricks and Little Giant Book of Card Tricks, and Karl Fulves' More Self-Working Card Tricks. I know that tricks can be different and still use the same method, but Giobbi just uses the f***e with a simple reveal.

So out of 18 tricks, I quickly found 8 in books I already had.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1588 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Thanks for the review WalterPlinge. Hence the book title ... maybe.
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Quote:
On 2013-03-30 02:43, Claudio wrote:
Thanks for the review WalterPlinge. Hence the book title ... maybe.

You're welcome. Although most of the tricks are great, 18 effects is a pretty light number, considering that a Fulves book gives you anywhere from 50 to 90 for less than $10. And most of them are great, too. Same with the Bob Longe books.

I didn't try them all, but I went through the Giobbi book in one evening and got the gist of all 18 tricks. I have had some of the Fulves and Longe books for years and I am still absorbing them.
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Quote:
On 2013-03-29 20:22, WalterPlinge wrote:
So out of 18 tricks, I quickly found 8 in books I already had.

Make that 9. Two, Six, Ten is the same as Five Nine King from Scarne on Card Tricks. While the former uses Twos, Sixes, and Tens, the latter uses Fives, Nines, and Kings. Handling is just a little different, since in the latter the spectator is allowed to do the dealing. Both Giobbi and Scarne give credit for the trick to Martin Gardner.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Card College Lightest (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL