The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Card College Lightest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Make that 10, or at least 9.5

Numerology is almost the same as Mathematical Finder in Scarne on Card Tricks. Even Giobbi notes that the principle was published in the Scarne book, without Scarne giving credit to Henry Christ. He also mentions that Mathematical Finder was published in a book by Martin Gardner: Mathematics, Magic, and Mystery. In Bob Longe's Easy Card Tricks, Mystic Prediction is a variant of the aforementioned tricks. Longe states that it is his variation of a "Martin Gardner principle with a Henry Christ twist."

Again, these are all great tricks. I just want to point out that the Giobbi book will not be for you if you have some of these other books I reference.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1588 Posts

Profile of Claudio
But... does Giobbi not add some value to the tricks, such as original presentation etc.? It's a genuine question as I have not got the book.
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
Fulves is notably bare on presentation, while Giobbi provides scripts.

Giobbi also teaches routining, by presenting effects not as isolated tricks, but rather as 3-trick sets. Setup requirements are considered, so the first trick has to accommodate setup required by the second and third, etc.

Helping a performer learn to construct a script and routines is huge.

If you want to read and work through lots of tricks for your personal enjoyment, go with Fulves. Giobbi will mostly help folks wanting to perform multiple tricks for audiences of other people.

As Eugene Burger says, "The House of Magic has many rooms." Both are valid approaches.
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
Oops, I'm slightly off base. Card College Light has the 3-trick routines, while Card College Lighter has the tricks classified as openers, middles and closers and prompts the student to create his/her own routines from them. Card College Lightest just provides tricks without the lessons in routining.
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Yes, Giobbi provides lots of patter. Longe usually provides lots of ideas on presentation/patter, too. So does Garcia/Schindler, and Wilson. Scarne is closer to Fulves in that respect. I must admit that some of these tricks were buried in my library, and I didn't discover I had them until I read the Giobbi book. As I pointed out, most of the tricks in the Giobbi book are great -- I just wanted to guide others to check their current library first to see how many of these tricks they already have. I found a bunch -- there could be more. Man Seeks Woman, for example, is very similar to effects in Magic with Cards and some of the Nick Trost books -- it is a rather simple "lets get the Kings and Queens to match by suit" trick. But it is different enough that I am not about to include it as a duplicate.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1841 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I think the Card College Light, Lighter and Lightest series are great. I've had Fulves, Garcia, Longe and Scarne, but Giobbi's work, in these three books, in my opinion, is way above the works of these other magicians, although they may contain many good tricks.

His writing style is intelligent, clear, and learned. With Giobbi, you get more than just tricks. You get subtleties, routining ideas, different ways of looking at things, patter suggestions. These books are also inspiring.

For me, these three books are of the "if you were ever stranded on an island somewhere" stature.
MikeBeaudet
View Profile
Loyal user
Becancour
221 Posts

Profile of MikeBeaudet
Quote:
On 2013-04-01 22:33, Ray Haining wrote:
I think the Card College Light, Lighter and Lightest series are great. I've had Fulves, Garcia, Longe and Scarne, but Giobbi's work, in these three books, in my opinion, is way above the works of these other magicians, although they may contain many good tricks.

His writing style is intelligent, clear, and learned. With Giobbi, you get more than just tricks. You get subtleties, routining ideas, different ways of looking at things, patter suggestions. These books are also inspiring.

For me, these three books are of the "if you were ever stranded on an island somewhere" stature.

Totally agree with you. I also own many books from Fulves and others but with Giobbi you get much more than a list of card tricks. The most important aspect of Giobbi's books are the clarity of his descriptions and nonetheless, the references he gives about what is talking about.

Also, since I'm just an amateur magician with limited time that I can allow to magic, having someone like Giobbi recommanding some tricks amongst all that is available in the litterature is a gift for me. He gave me the curiosity to dig deeper in some of the books I already own or that I should look at.

As someome says its my 2 cents contribution to this thread.

Mike
Do your best and forget the rest
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Card College Lightest (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL