The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Make or buy a Loop Ball (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think you can get that thread at a fabric store by the spool.
And why has this thread been moved to the "silk" section?? Because of the word "loop" or the word "ball"?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2010-02-11 19:24, Frank Starsini wrote:
I think you can get that thread at a fabric store by the spool.
And why has this thread been moved to the "silk" section?? Because of the word "loop" or the word "ball"?

I suspect it's because the mods have confused a loop ball with a hank ball (some hank balls also have loops on them).
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1620 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2010-01-22 17:56, Orange Eric wrote:
Check out Jordan Gomez's FISM act on YouTube. When he's manipulating the red ball, he uses it very well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbGAep93RNA
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22407 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-02-07 09:53, wbzwolinski wrote:
I am still trying to figure out the specific cotton yarn/thread he used in his gypsy thread. I just can't find anything I like for his "larger" performance of the effect. It seemed to break very easily...which would be beneficial to me because of the carpel tunnel condition that I have developed in my hands. Well, the loopball I can make myself, but I sure would like to get my hands on some of that thread.

Thanks for your response,
Wolly

The Thread is called 'Basting Thread', it is used by clothing tailors to hand stitch parts of clothing when making tailored cloths like suits for men. The Basing Thread in the USA is just to strong. It is made by the popular 'Coats & Clark, Inc.' Company. As stated by Frank, most all fabric stores carry this brand. Mine has the name 'Brook's Basting Thread' on the covering wrapper.

For the best Basing Thread, you have to get it from England and Europe. There thread is a bit thicker and weaker. Breaks very easily. All the spools I have the visiting magicians removed the labels, so I cannot give any brand information, unfortunately.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Wicking yarn works well in the Gypsy Thread. It's larger in diameter than regular basting thread, but breaks just as easily.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
magic8161
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of magic8161
I remember I had fish line on mine years ago.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-10-17 19:10, magic8161 wrote:
I remember I had fish line on mine years ago.

??? Oh! On the loop ball! Yeah, that's usually the stuff they use. Smile

Doug
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
I bought a loop ball from Cellini at a lecture and he used a pretty thick monofilement fishing line.

Mark
magic8161
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of magic8161
Not sure how to make one. anyone make there own?
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I always thought you could do the same thing with a palm-o-ball.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
No, Ian...The Palmo is an oval Dye Tube made by Rice. It has no monofilament attached. Smile

Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
As far as the "loop ball" being used for silks, isn't that called a Stilwell Ball? Or am I mistaken?
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
The ball used for silk work is a hank ball, that Stilwell developed a full routine around in the early 1900's. I actually found a copy of his booklet in very good condition. Hugard summarizes the Stillwell routine in the book "Silken Sorcery". The hank ball can be found most commonly today without a loop, and my opinion is that the loop does not add much to the ball's usefulness.

Duane Lalin has a DVD on the hank ball that is quite good.

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Make or buy a Loop Ball (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL