The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Card Spring- Ready, Aim, Misfire (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AtticusGreen
View Profile
New user
Maine
11 Posts

Profile of AtticusGreen
Hi.
I've been trying to get down the basic card spring (yes I am bowing diagonally) and I'm pretty confident my fingers are in the right position. When I start releasing cards though, they don't go straight down. They usually come off my thumb and shoot at me. I've been fiddling around with how much pressure I put on each finger but I can't seem to get the cards to go where I want them to. Any recommendations?
It only takes one snowflake to cause an avalanche.
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
551 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Angle your hand maybe? Direct the pressure perhaps? Where are they releasing from, thumb or fingers?
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
AtticusGreen
View Profile
New user
Maine
11 Posts

Profile of AtticusGreen
They're coming off of my thumb. If I was to angle my hand to make up for it, I would have to hold the cards vertically. Not really sure exactly what you mean by directing the pressure.
It only takes one snowflake to cause an avalanche.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1166 Posts

Profile of keeblem
I think it's difficult to describe this in words. I use to have this problem a lot (coming off my thumbs) but over time just subtle difference in the way you hold the cards and you'll find you'll get it.

Mark
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
I am absolutely not an expert - more a beginner, like you, in this. I was told to start with the hands very close to each other to be able to adjust angles, hand and finger position, force, etc. Then when a spring works with hands close together, gradually work on it with the hands farther apart.

You have inspired me to work on it again, however!
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
bigdaddyhaystack
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh, PA
4 Posts

Profile of bigdaddyhaystack
I did not know the bow was supposed to happen diagonally. I got 100 % better results five minutes after reading this post. Thank you
NathanHimes
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of NathanHimes
Try a more physical solution.

when you grip the cards for the spring, get the thumb deeper on the cards, so they don't have the chance to come off of it early.

-Nathan Himes
Mathias Kersting
View Profile
New user
Australia
97 Posts

Profile of Mathias Kersting
This tutorial may help you - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE1P7fINjX8
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Card Spring- Ready, Aim, Misfire (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL