We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Hondo's Picasso Bands... Rubber bands magic on steroid! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ReDeFiNe
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
275 Posts

Profile of ReDeFiNe
Dear Café members,

It gives me great pleasure to review Hondo's latest creation, The Picasso Bands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hNdapdWZsU

If you are looking for highly visual, powerful and shocking close up magic (non cards, coins, ropes, rings etc), Picasso Bands is definitely the next thing you want to put on your magic wish list!

Picasso Bands is a complete act right out of the box! You are supplied with all the gaff bands, 50 regular bands, as well as a detailed instructional dvd to explain all the various effects. The bands included are also of very high quality and in a variety of bright colors.

The instructional DVD is filmed from the "Performer's Point of View" complete with english subtitles, making it really easy to learn. Hondo explains all the individual effects in detail and gives suggestions on how to add them into your existing rubber band routines. There are also clips showing Hondo performing the effect on the street, and the best part I like is when he annotate on those clips the ways he creates misdirection to set up the various effects.

The 3 reputation making effects are:

Picasso Twist - A rubberband transform into a twisted state and could not be restored into a circle anymore. This effect requires no practice and you can include it immediately into your existing rubber band routines. Hondo supply 10 custom gaffed twisted rubber bands in the package to get you started.

Picasso Link- This is bar-none the most visual piece of rubber band magic I have ever seen! If you can imagine how the perfect linking bands would look like, Picasso Link would be your dream come true. If you have yet seen it performed, I highly recommend watching the trailer of this effect! The effect does require some practice but it is sure worth the effort! I manage to get it down in 10 min after learning from the DVD. The set comes complete with 10 gaffed linked bands ready to get you started.

Picasso Merge- The perfect ending for any rubber band routines. 2 different colored rubber bands merged into one large circle in the spectator's hands! The strongest close up magic has got to be one where the magic happens in the spectator's hands. The final display of the merging bands makes it the perfect sequel for the Picasso Link effect. 10 gaffed merged bands are included.

The gaff bands are not exactly made out of the factory like the SLR, therefore it is not recommended to give the bands out as souvenirs, as there may be a slight chance that people may notice the joint portion on the bands. However, the joints are hardly noticeable and Hondo have also suggested in the DVD on how to explain to your audience in the event if they found a joint portion on the bands. Nevertheless, the gaff bands are extremely well made and should hold up for many performances.

When you get your set, it is very important to watch the clip right before the explanation of the effects. The clip simply explain that the bands need to be stretched prior to performance to prevent them from breaking easily. This should be done with not only the regular bands, but the gaff bands as well which you are intending to use for performance. Doing this first would also make it easier to learn the various effects.

I am having a lot of fun practicing the Picasso Link effect and can't wait to perform it for my next close up show.

Highly Recommended!!!

Cheers!

Jeremy
Jeremy Pei
www.TheSocialMagician.com

For Magicians by Magicians
www.RedefineMagicOutlet.com
surryhills
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
149 Posts

Profile of surryhills
This sounds really good! I´m looking forward to get mine.
I will post a review as soon as I get them.
Hondo
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Hondo
Quote:
On 2010-01-14 09:23, surryhills wrote:
This sounds really good! I´m looking forward to get mine.
I will post a review as soon as I get them.

I think you'ii receive it on next Monday or Tuesday:)
magicxman
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of magicxman
Is this same as cream bands in Taiwan? Thamks
Hondo
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Hondo
Quote:
On 2010-01-14 11:41, magicxman wrote:
Is this same as cream bands in Taiwan? Thamks

Hey, there.
Cream Bands is the predecessor of Picasso Bands. Picasso Bands has more one effect Twist and more complete routine than Cream does, and I also improve the linking method.

Hondo
jimesw
View Profile
Special user
672 Posts

Profile of jimesw
I thought this wasn't available until mid February? Is that right? I see on a couple of websites this is the case.

I'm ready to jump on the BANDwagon with this one.....

Looks good.
maxmaximus
View Profile
New user
austria
92 Posts

Profile of maxmaximus
Hi all,

here is my review for hondo's picasso bands...before I start let me point out that till now I had no chance to perform the picasso bands in front of laypeople, so I don't know how the reactions will be but I assume they will be great...

to be honest its hard to give a complete review because jeremy (first post/review) said everything and I have to agree with him...what you get is a complete little close up act with rubberbands which is really well thought through...you start with crazy mans handcuffs (cool part is you "secretly" introduce the picasso twist gimmick) then do the twist with one of the bands...let them examine the twisted band...enough misdirection to set up for the picasso link which is really easy to execute and as far as I can judge the best handling of this kind of effect so far...finally after a spectator asks you to unlink the two bands you do the picasso merge and leave them with another impossibility in their hands...WOW...one last note: picasso twist and merge are more or less self working!!!

the only drawback is that the bands wont stand a close examination by the spectator but with a little audience management it wont be a problem...

so all in all I can highly recommend you to buy the dvd and give kudos to hondo...

thx and all the best
max
jimesw
View Profile
Special user
672 Posts

Profile of jimesw
Hi

You say the drawback is that the bands wont stand up to close examination. However, in the item description on hocus-pocus and alakazam it states "Of course people can keep them for examining!" Is this not the case then? Is a quick examination the only thing that will fly by?

cheers
jimesw
Hondo
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Hondo
In my experience, most people won't see the small joint. Only few people examine the band very narrowly, but they may still examine the wrong band. Trust me. You can really give the bands to them as souvenirs. I always do that.
(If SLR could be examined, Picasso should be also because SLR band actually has 2 joints on it, but Picasso has only one which is small and smooth.)

Hondo
Hondo
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Hondo
Quote:
On 2010-01-15 14:43, Hondo wrote:
In my experience, most people won't see the small joint. Only few people examine the band very narrowly, but they may still examine the wrong band. Trust me. You can really give the bands to them as souvenirs. I always do that.
(If SLR could be examined, Picasso should be also because SLR band actually has 2 joints on it, but Picasso has only one which is small and smooth.)

Hondo

The wrong band means the band which has no joint so that they won't find anything.
Even if they notice the joint, I'll say that's the magic gate I use to make the band go through. They always believe it and try to have the band out from the gate. So don't worry too much because they actually see 2 bands being individual in the beginning and linking together finally.

Hondo
maxmaximus
View Profile
New user
austria
92 Posts

Profile of maxmaximus
@jimesw: to clear things up...the bands are very well made and normaly no one will ever notice the joint point but the truth is if someone decides to examine the bands in detail they will find it (stretching is the key)...yesterday I had the chance to perform picasso bands for some friends and it got great reactions...pause...i gave the linked bands as a souvenir to a girl I know for ages and she examined the bands for I think one hour and couldn't find the joint point so its pretty save...

once again kudos to hondo for such a nice little gem...

all the best
max
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2355 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Below is my review from another thread, take a look, but read my review first.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0

First I will tell you, I have no sleight of hand skills at all, and I do mostly mentalism, and I was looking for some effects that I can add to my act, that are more magical, than mental, and since I am known in my tiny circle as a mentalist, I needed some very specific things, I wanted easy to learn, colorful and most important, fun entertainment.
Having never tried anything like this, it appealed to me , as it had all I was HOPING for,
And it does , with a nice souvenir to leave with the spec,
First you are supplied with everything you will need, and a lot of it, second, you are supplied with a higher quality of what you need, how do I know this you ask, I ran over to my local magic shop to compare, these are simply much better, they are stronger with more elasticity, and they are soft, this is perhaps the most important factor.
S , now you have what you need, next, and this you must see to believe, with out a word spoken, you are taught every detail and nuance necessary to do all these effects, nothing is left out and it was very, very easy to follow and learn all the steps, in fact it was so easy, I was doing 2 of the effects for friends, before I watched the entire DVD.
To sum it up, there are not many effects that are this easy and entertaining, while taking no pocket space at all, slip a band or two around your wrist, pull up your sleeves and someone will ask you, “Hey , what’s with those.” And off you go.
I have since done these effects over a dozen times, all for adults, who had a lot of fun watching the effects, try it, Very Highly recommended.
Hondo
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Hondo
Hi, everyone
There are two more reviews in the following thread:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=60
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
When the gaffed bands need to be replaced....can I make them myself, or do I buy more from the supplier?
jimesw
View Profile
Special user
672 Posts

Profile of jimesw
Just tie a knot and use misdirection.
Hondo
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Hondo
Quote:
On 2010-01-21 13:22, patrick flanagan wrote:
When the gaffed bands need to be replaced....can I make them myself, or do I buy more from the supplier?

You can reuse the bands for many times until they are damaged or ypu want to leave them to a pretty girl as souvenirs. Refills would be available in the future. Following is the prices of refills:
Twist(20 units) $8
Link(20 sets) $10
Merge(20 units) $12
Regular(100+ units) $3
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
That's good news. I think the kids will definitely want souvineers.
It's good PR when they show them around to their friends.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Hondo's Picasso Bands... Rubber bands magic on steroid! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL