The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Friend of a Friend » » Anyone ever incorporate an urban myth into their patter? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
GregKirk
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of GregKirk
I recently moved to a small community on the Oregon coast. One of the first things I did was research local ghost stories and urban legends! I've now performed two private gigs with material I gathered in that research. One surrounding the "Oregon Vortex," a supposed magnetic and metaphysical anomaly similar to the Bermuda Triangle. It is reported to create all sorts of inexplicable events (which gave me great reasoning for my "experiments"). The other was based on an actual historic event (the 1936 Bandon Fire), but I incorporated some urban legends of ghosts who are reported to have remained after the fire. It was a seance show, and the use of familiar stories gave my show (in my opinion) more credibility and believability. Using local legends and urban myths is a great way to enhance a show!
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
There is a magician local to me who does something very similar on his magical ghost walks, very effective it is too.
jeffAwesome
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of jeffAwesome
I am very interested in doing similar things in my magic. I'm currently working on a routine with coins and the idea of voodoo. I'm not in New Orleans or anywhere that would make this entirely local, but so far I've found that it is eerie enough to really get great reactions.

I've considered doing Ghost Stories. I am from Oklahoma and there are some very amazing Native American tales. I just need to find a way to incorporate them.
barneyS
View Profile
New user
Virginia
28 Posts

Profile of barneyS
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2011, Bill Hallahan wrote:
I believe that some mentalists say that, "People only use 10% of their brain." That's an urban legend that's a myth.

In the early days of the net I did a bunch of reading on this myth and found a professor (from Oregon??) who also investigated it and believed that Dale Carnegie was the inventor of this "fact", attempting to make a point in his "How to Win Friends and Influence People". It doesn't appear to be in print before that book and there is no research backing up the "10%". From what I've read, we all use all of our brains, though not very efficiently for most of us.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Corpse bride of Mexico in conjunction with calaveras cards

http://viralscape.com/corpse-bride/
tvmikek
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of tvmikek
We have an Urban Legend in the DC area about the "Bunny Man," a supposedly true story about a mass murderer who wore a pink bunny suit. I created a part of a show once that used "items I acquired from the case." Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Friend of a Friend » » Anyone ever incorporate an urban myth into their patter? (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL