We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jay Sankey MAGIC AND COMEDY DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Anyone pick one up at a lecture that can comment?

http://www.sankeymagic.com/detail.aspx?ID=48415

# Includes over 40 minutes of live footage (shot in HD) from an exclusive 'magic & comedy' seminar.

# LEARN HOW TO: use humor as the ultimate misdirection, 'find the funny' in any magic or mentalist effect, acting challenges that will help you grow as a comedic performer, play WITH your audience rather than just performing FOR them, avoid 'jokes' that only 'put up walls,' craft effective call-backs, be funny without letting your magic suffer, AND MUCH MUCH MORE!

# SPECIAL BONUS! 'MAGIC & COMEDY' also features LIVE clips from Jay's own performance archive including comedy clubs, TV appearances, short videos, cartoons and more!

# Jay headlined comedy clubs with his original stand-up act for years. His humor has also been featured on several television specials. Jay is also the author of 'Zen and the Art of Stand-Up Comedy,' considered by stand-up comics all over the world to be a modern classic. So when Jay releases a new DVD focusing on how you can make your own magic performances FUNNIER, you know it's going to be something special.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I don't believe this is being shipped until Jan. 22nd.

jeff
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
That's true, but Jay did a lecture tour recently and folks usually can get new releases a couple of months before officially released.

Christopoher
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Magic Rob
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
99 Posts

Profile of Magic Rob
Anyone have any thoughts on this dvd yet?

Rob
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
I think the answer is in that demo clip.
~Joe
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
Just slightly offput by the fact that I think only teenagers and imbeciles would find Sankey funny.
Russell
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Russell
After watching it I didn't feel like I had got anything out of it.

Russell Leeds
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Er - someone has inadvertently associated the word "comedy" with Jay Sankey. Shurly shome mishtake?! I couldn't watch more than five seconds. He's more irritating than the main feature on the front cover of "Irritating Monthly."
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Quote:
On 2010-03-27 07:11, Russell wrote:
After watching it I didn't feel like I had got anything out of it.

Russell Leeds

Going by the trailer, there seems to be parts of it that are a lecture on comedy. Did it make sense? I ask because the snippets didn't.
~Joe
fazzer
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of fazzer
Magic and Comedy is in my opinion difficult to combine without the comedy part taking out the mystery from the magic. I would be very careful before going out and perform the way Sankey does.

The DVD however will most probably give some good ideas and advice given the extensive experience of Sankey as a magician and a comedian. My focus now is to find some good strong effects than to polish the comedy aspect of it.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2008 Posts

Profile of puggo
Without derailing the thread hopefully, I would recommend Ian Keable's book 'Stand up' if you are interested in developing your comedy chops: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=110
Thought provoking, educational etc.
Charlie
Russell
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Russell
Quote:
Going by the trailer, there seems to be parts of it that are a lecture on comedy. Did it make sense? I ask because the snippets didn't.

The DVD was pretty much all filmed at a lecture and it had clips of him from previous DVDs to illustrate the points he was trying to make. Hope that helps.

Russell
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Russel, thanks very much for that information.
~Joe
TonyPorter
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of TonyPorter
It was OK.

I think his book was much more worthwhile.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7020 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Joe, I think Sankey did a seminar on comedy a couple of years ago. I believe the footage on the dvd was taken from that.

For those of you who don't find Sankey funny on video, trust me, when you see him live, he is very funny. I've seen him lecture twice and have always laughed out loud. I think that he's funnier when he has a crowd to work off of. He's definitely a "give and take" comedian and is quite quick on his feet. Kind of hard to duplicate that style of comedy in a studio with the camera being the only spectator.

Having said that, he has definitely made me laugh more than once on some of his dvds. "You gotta wear paaaaants... or you go to jaaaaaaail" Anyone who owns Secret Files probably knows that line. Makes me laugh every time I think about it.

BTW, I haven't seen the dvd. But some of the advice on the trailer is very good.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1638 Posts

Profile of Futureal
For what it's worth, Sankey is one of the few magicians out there who has successfully worked comedy clubs WITHOUT magic. He can do a standup comedy magic act, or just show up and do straight comedy.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and own taste, but to blankly say he's not funny or shouldn't be talking about this subject is ill-informed in my opinion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jay Sankey MAGIC AND COMEDY DVD (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL