The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Origins of Gypsy Thread (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
nornb
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of nornb
Hello,
I would be interested to know who invented the Gypsy Thread - broken and restored thread ?

Tried searching themagiccafe - got an avalanche of hits.
Tried going through the 'Everything old is new again' pages, didn't spot anything.

From 'Magicpedia' I got <<Elbiquet in "A Text-Book for Magic" in 1913 >> as the first published version.
Does anyone have any further information?

Many thanks.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It goes back to the cut and restored string, ribbon or yarn which is found in Scot, as well as in Hocus Pocus Junior.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
nornb
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of nornb
Thank you Mr. Palmer.

I should have thought of those sources.

I had wondered if 1) it was a Chinese effect and 2) if there had been one performer who perfected it and then everyone followed.

Thanks for taking the time to post.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's probably not Chinese. It's one of those tricks that goes in and out of fashion. During the past 30 years or so, it has enjoyed a major upsurge in popularity. My two favorite versions are the one that Ted Lesley did, and the one that Jonathan Neal does. Neal's version is stage-sized. I won't say any more than that, but it is truly a wonderful adaptation of this old classic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

nornb
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of nornb
Thank you, I will research both.
I am working on Geoffery Durham's version, Jim Cellini also had a street/stage version, but I am pretty sure you know all that. Smile
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
I first read about the trick in a book by George Kaplan, written I think, in the 1940's.

Leslie
Stories....?....That's telling!
magomarko
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of magomarko
The thread trick is described both in Discoverie of Witchcraft (Scot-1584) and Hocus Pocus Jr. (Anonymous-1634) in these versions the thread was cut and then burnt. Maybe we could suppose the trick was already old at the time.

The explanation in Scot begins:

"IT is not one of the woorst feats to burne a thred handsomelie, and to make it whole again..."

and then tells you to hold the thread:

"betwixt the forefinger and thombe of each hand, holding all your fingers deintilie, as yong gentlewomen are taught to take up a morsell of meate."

Discoverie is online at:

http://www.conjuror.com/archives/discoverie/discoverie.html

Egyptian magicians do the same trick but on steroids! See for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BW5329vi......embedded

The second magician in the video performs it.

By the way, I lived and performed in Barcelona, Spain, for many years and I made friends with one of the many Gali-Galis and he did this trick exactly as shown in the video.

Marko
The Learned Pig Project
nornb
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of nornb
Thanks the information and links Bill, Leslie and Marko.

The Discoverie of Witchcraft description is only a paragraph, but all the information is there.

Thanks again,
Norn
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's a lot clearer than the alleged description of the paddle trick:

Quote:
Item, a rish through a peece of trencher, having three holes, and at the one side the rish appearing out in the second, at the other side in the third hole, by reason of a hollow place made betwixt, them both so as the slight consisteth in turning the peece of trencher.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

What's confusing about that? Smile

Leslie
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It took me a long time to find a really good rish. And the trencher supply these days has really dwindled.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Ah! - Right!. I understand your dilemma.

Leslie
DenAlan
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of DenAlan
It seems that Chadwick's mending cotton is the most recommended thread for doing the gypsy thread. Can anyone direct me to a U.S. source?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I think Ali Bongo preferred Chadwicks, but it's almost unavailable in the States. Ron Dayton prefers "Wicking Yarn." It is very easy to break, but it has a reasonably large diameter for a thread.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Basting thread is good and breaks easy.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2010-04-24 01:12, motown wrote:
Basting thread is good and breaks easy.

Basting thread is what has been used by Fred Kaps, Michael Skinner, Doug Henning, Copperfield etc.. It's hard to find however, You can find it just have to hunt for it. B.T.W. what is known as Chadwicks mending cotton is basting thread.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
When I was driving Ted Lesley around the country, we searched for the right kind of basting thread, and it simply isn't available in the US, or at least it wasn't in 2003. The basting thread we found was very thin compared to the stuff Ted brought with him from Germany. The stuff from Europe was about 2 or 3 times as big as the stuff from the States.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
That's true Bill. What I bought about 6 months ago isn't even as thick as what I use to find it in stores in Nevada, and Arizona from time to time. I don't know if what I had found in years past was as thick as what Ted used. I never had a chance to see him work.

Coats&Clark use to make basting thread and it was thicker than what I have now. It would be nice to find a thicker thread but for now what I have will do.

Years ago I met Alan Alan and he also suggested Lambs wool yarn. I have seen it in stores but it's never seemed to break easy at all.
mindguru
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of mindguru
Very few are truly happy with the thread they use.
geoffa
View Profile
New user
Nashville, TN
57 Posts

Profile of geoffa
After trying 100% cotton thread from Wal-Mart, I ended up ordering some basting thread based on the recommendations here and another forum. I just received the order today and I'm very pleased, as are my fingers, with how easy it is to break. It's also a decent weight and has a nice texture to it. Definitely more character than what I was trying before.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Origins of Gypsy Thread (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL