We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Who stands on the Pedestal of Controversy? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
John Edward is the new Uri Geller, no doubt at all. I dislike his act intenesely, but you can only admire his success.

For those of you bending your heads around the maths, here is the true picture. He played The Helix, a big venue in Dublin, in September. He did five days, two shows a day, and at the end of the engagement the venue gave him a cheque for E250,000. That's not hearsay - that figure comes direct from the venue manager. Convert it to dollars and it comes out at $359,220 - not bad for a weeks work.

Will Jim make that in a decade? The people nipping on John Edward's heels are not the guys posting here, but people like medium Colin Fry. Talking to the dead is a licence to print money.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
No. PRETENDING to hear them ANSWER is a license to print money.

So is dealing crack.

- entity
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of magicusb
So he may be making 10 to 20 million a year and more, not counting BOR and QVC sales.
You know what ticks me off as one who has been involved in magic all these years.
NO PROPS!

So "spirit contact...old news" may not be accurate.

John Edward and those in those camp's "15 minutes" are not coming to an end, and probably never will.

People want to believe, and 1,000 Randi's will not stop that tidal wave. It is hard to believe but in the little quaint town I live in, no kidding, there is a church on every block and in a few cases two. Of all different beliefs. At noontime here it is the battle of the bells. If I were to make 1/100th that noise I would be in jail. Smile

At last I got that smiley to work!

There are people who do not believe in evolution or the very old age of the universe. And those are considered scientific facts as far as we can tell.
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
You can get some people to buy into almost anything, no matter how absurd or nonsensical.

As an example see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth_Society for a brief history of the Flat Earth Society that held the Earth was a disk not a globe.

Quote:
On 2010-01-17 18:29, TonyB2009 wrote:
John Edward is the new Uri Geller, no doubt at all. I dislike his act intenesely, but you can only admire his success.

For those of you bending your heads around the maths, here is the true picture. He played The Helix, a big venue in Dublin, in September. He did five days, two shows a day, and at the end of the engagement the venue gave him a cheque for E250,000. That's not hearsay - that figure comes direct from the venue manager. Convert it to dollars and it comes out at $359,220 - not bad for a weeks work.

Will Jim make that in a decade? The people nipping on John Edward's heels are not the guys posting here, but people like medium Colin Fry. Talking to the dead is a license to print money.

He likes Ireland - such hospitable people - so he's going back. He'll be in Dublin two days in July and one day in Belfast. The first day in Dublin is already sold out.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Sylvia Browne is still big.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
You guys still base a performers success on the amount they earn, or the size of venues they play.

You are defining success based on YOUR ideology of it.

What if a performer is perfectly happy and content in life just performing locally or regionally and it provides him enough to live a happy content life?

To me, success is when a person accomplishes what THEY desire in life - not those peering in from the outside.

Some performers are more "artists" and less "capitalists". I see it all the time on the street when busking. They are where they want to be in life... and are succeeding.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
"Who stands on the Pedestal of Controversy?"

No, Who stands on first base.

*jeep!
--Grandpa
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2010-01-17 15:10, bobser wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-17 12:43, Mick Ayres wrote:
This begs the question: Is Jim Callahan on his way to replacing Uri on the controversy-pedestal

The answer is no. As already said Geller was controversial whereas acts like Jim's are tame by comparison and as already stated by David, perhaps a tad overdramatic. Actually I always thought Jim's act was meant to be comedic, which I for one found truly hilarious. I never dreamt for a moment he seriously wished to be taken as genuine. Am I being told here that I always had it wrong???

How many paranormalists can take a balloon and get the reactions that Jim does?
How can anyone say Jim is not one of the best entertainers of our time?

http://www.jimclass.com/Ballon%20Page.htm

Of course, as far as the controversy is concerned, that is very subjective as well.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
I'm not sure that anyone suggested that wealth or income was the sole, or even the primary, measure of success -- I know I didn't. In fact, I assumed that the important criterion, at least as related to this thread, was controversy/notariety using Uri Geller as the benchmark. In that regard Kreskin would be a possible contender. He was famous long before Geller burst onto the scene and continues to be a household name -- perhaps equally Geller today; however, it can just as easily be claimed that Geller replaced Kreskin on the pedestal except for the fact that I don't believe Kreskin was ever considered controversial -- if he was it was certainly never on a scale approaching Geller.

I only brought up the subject of John Edward's possible income in response to the earlier comment by someone else to the effect that his time had come and gone and that he had faded from view in an effort to show that such hardly seems to be the case.

Quote:

How can anyone say Jim is not one of the best entertainers of our time?

Of course, as far as the controversy is concerned, that is very subjective as well.

Having watched the video, I will agree that Callahan's balloon sculpting is much more entertaining than his communications with "the other side." However, I doubt that anyone would consider balloon sculpture "controversial" in the sense applicable to this thread. Of course that's just my subjective opinion.
Dick Christian
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
.... yes, fair point. The monies generated by Edward is a by-product of both how successful he is and how he is totally worshipped and revered by his public. Not to recognise would be totally wrong. If he's genuine then that's beautiful and if he's not then he's truly a phenomenal mentalist irrispective of his dihonesty.
Remember all mentalists and magicians are, at leat, a little bit dishonest.
This business, at times, is kinda likes someone who has only killed a dozen people thinking that mass murder is a bad thing. I know them and you know them. Give it a minute and they'll be here, in denial of course.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
Quote:
On 2010-01-18 03:54, Candin wrote:

To be fair, he IS teriffic on balloon routine clip. He's not being a paranormalist on it though - just a very likeable entertainer.
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
Quote:
On 2010-01-18 08:03, Caliban wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-18 03:54, Candin wrote:

To be fair, he IS teriffic on balloon routine clip. He's not being a paranormalist on it though - just a very likeable entertainer.

you are right!
I actually enjoyed that
way better than when he was on Phenomenon
jimbo doesn't need the raymond gimmick to perform
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
Jim's presentation of the Peruvian Balloon bit is proof that he can be a charming entertainer. He connects strongly with the audience and they have a good time which is what he was paid to deliver. I think if he stuck to that he'd have a long and successful career as an entertainer.
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
536 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Quote:
On 2010-01-17 22:52, mormonyoyoman wrote:

No, Who stands on first base.

*jeep!
--Grandpa

I don't know.

--Mark
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2010-01-18 12:02, David Alexander wrote:
Jim's presentation of the Peruvian Balloon bit is proof that he can be a charming entertainer. He connects strongly with the audience and they have a good time which is what he was paid to deliver. I think if he stuck to that he'd have a long and successful career as an entertainer.

Audience loves him. Smile I don't always agree with his methods on the paranormal, but he is a marketing genius and will go very far in his career.

Quote:
On 2010-01-18 08:01, bobser wrote:
.... yes, fair point. The monies generated by Edward is a by-product of both how successful he is and how he is totally worshipped and revered by his public. Not to recognise would be totally wrong. If he's genuine then that's beautiful and if he's not then he's truly a phenomenal mentalist irrispective of his dihonesty.
Remember all mentalists and magicians are, at leat, a little bit dishonest.
This business, at times, is kinda likes someone who has only killed a dozen people thinking that mass murder is a bad thing. I know them and you know them. Give it a minute and they'll be here, in denial of course.

But I try really, really hard to NOT be dishonest Bobser. I mean how far would you go as a mentalist and tell everyone constantly all you are doing is tricks?

Max Maven has a good interview on "Nothing" about this. I use suggestion and some hypnosis techniques etc and I can honestly state not everything I do is tricks.

Gerry McCamrbidge explains it as "tricks of the trade" on NBC.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On 2010-01-18 12:34, Ba Ba Booey wrote:

I don't know.

--Mark

Third base.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Candid, remember I said 'a little bit dishonest'
The question is: Is a little bit dishonest actually lying.
And the answer is: C'mon, we all really know what the answer is!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
A little bit depends on how big your stomach is for lying...It might actually be huge.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Tell everyone what ever you are doing is fake. Be honest then. Not being
arrogant but it probably would not affect my show. Any disclaimer is better then no disclaimer.

Since I use hypnosis, I hate to lie and tell them that is fake as well though.

MP you are honest no matter what, it does not affect you.
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2141 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Back to this thread: as much as I liked callahan I'm quite sure he is more famous on the cafè and other forums than with real world population
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Who stands on the Pedestal of Controversy? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL