The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Dick Van Dyke's Multiplying Ball Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1832 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I've always been interested in collecting video of big name actors who perform magic. I just picked up a Dick Van Dyke Show DVD from the local video store with an episode called "A Nice Friendly Game of Cards." Early in the episode, Dick did a multiplying billiard ball routine for Richie from a magic set. Later, Dick, Laura, Jerry, Millie, and some new neighbors were playing poker and Dick was the big winner. The plot thickens when it turns out that the group has been playing with Richie's marked deck from the magic kit. Of course, everything gets straightened out by the end of the show.

Other TV shows which featured magic prominently include "Doyle Against the House," a Dick Powell Theater episode when Milton Berle performs some nice card flourishes, and "The Great Anatole" (also from the Dick Powell Theater) in which Curt Jurgens does some nice magic and a terrific "Film to Life" illusion with Dana Wynter as his assistant. And of course there's the Channing Pollock episode of "Daniel Boone" that featured much of the master's card and dove act.

I remember also a Superman episode where Superman levitates Lois Lane. As I recall, the lighting of the levitation part was very poor and the shadow of the levitated Lois revealed the "modus operandus."

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Aside from the obvious TV shows like "Blacke's Magic" and "The Magician", I have seen magic performed on "Leave it to Beaver", "The Munsters", "Matlock", and probably more that I'm just not remembering at the moment.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Ther're as well Tony Curtis and Steve Martin.

Oliver.
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
851 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
There was a Beverly Hillbillies that featured a magician as well.

Also a Gilligan's Island when a magician's trunk washes up on the island.

Lou
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The best of all... Bagdad Café... great premise and great magic.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
How good was the dick van dyke ball routine?
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
This is fun- any links, fellows?
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
The Alfred Hitchcock Hour (1964) "The Magic Shop."
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Well Sonny, it's way past my bed time. I was searching for any clips of Jackie Gleason or Johnny Carson performing magic but no luck. However, these two Dick Cavett shows featuring Slydini might be of interest. Great thread!

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/200......slydini/
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
It is almost painful to see Slydini perform some of the tricks when you have studied and worked on them yourself. One thing is the silks. Can anybody tell me how he gets the silks apart with no effort at all?
Can anybody point me to where I can get that information. I believe that all the tutors on the existing DVD:s on the Silks would want that information too.
"There is no reality, only perception."
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1832 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Dick starts with a very nice handkerchief vanish that leaves both hands completely clean. Then he picks up a ball and:
1) Does a trap vanish
2) Reproduces it from his elbow
3) Vanishes it with a standard pass and then does a change-over to show both hands empty
4) "Places" it in his mouth whence it vanishes
5) "Reproduces" it from his waist band.
6) Shows the reproduced ball and asks Richie "How many balls?" "One."
7) Multiplies then one to two balls and clicks them together.
8) Multiplies the two to three.
9) "Takes" one of the three and throws it away. Reproduces it from his pants pocket and places it back in his hand.
10) Tells Richie "Now here's the hard part because these balls are slippery" and multiplies to four balls.
The balls look to be a decent size, maybe 1 1/2 inch.
Richie asks, "Will you teach me how to do that trick, Daddy?"
Answers: "Well, not until you're old enough, Rich."
I also remember one of Dick's appearances on the Sullivan show where he did a very nice pantomime act of a man trying to walk in an extremely strong wind.

Now if only I can find the Danny Thomas "Make Room for Daddy" episode where he goes to a formal banquet in what he thinks is his tux, but is actually a magician's tux that he picked up at the dry cleaner's by mistake. In the middle of a speech he gives at the banquet, he notices a piece of rope hanging out of his sleeve...

----- Sonny Narvaez
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Quote:
On 2010-01-19 05:25, Stellan wrote:
It is almost painful to see Slydini perform some of the tricks when you have studied and worked on them yourself. One thing is the silks. Can anybody tell me how he gets the silks apart with no effort at all?
Can anybody point me to where I can get that information. I believe that all the tutors on the existing DVD:s on the Silks would want that information too.

Closest you are going to get to that is the DVD Slydini: Slydini Lecteure Performed by Jim Cellini Session Zurich 2005. Jim a long time student of Slydini covers the silk routine on this DVD. The producer of the DVD is ZauberLaden Zurich
http://www.swisshouseofmagic.com/
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-01-18 17:59, Pete Biro wrote:
THE BEST OF ALL..... BAGDAD Café..... great premise and great magic.

Bagdad Café used my "slice of hand" illusion.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Nearly all the magic I recall from those old TV sitcom shows was disapointing as it was usually an actor with no magic performance knowlege/ability/talent obviously yanking a feather flower bouquet from their sleeve followed by the vanish of an assistant from a vanishing booth.Pure carp.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1832 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I would agree that nearly all the magic on TV sitcom shows is disappointing. Sturgeon's Law (Ninety percent of everything is crud) dictates that we should expect to be disappointed and unimpressed by 90% of actors endeavoring to represent themselves as magicians. That's why it's rewarding and impressive when someone like Milton Berle or Curt Jurgens or Dick Van Dyke does a creditable job with a magic effect. I think these actors have a degree of respect for the Art in Magic. When Milton Berle was in the Dick Powell Theater episode "Doyle Against the House" he could have gotten by without demonstrating any manipulative skill with a deck of cards. But he and the producers saw the opportunity to add some credibility to the performance by including a brief sequence when Berle was shown full-shot doing some card flourishes, including the boomerang card effect. Milton is even mentioned in _Scarne on Card Tricks_ as being one of the Hollywood stars who genuinely liked and performed magic.

And then, thank God, there are the few TV/movie producers who go that extra mile and bring real magicians into a show, like the "Daniel Boone" episode that featured Channing Pollock doing much of his classic act, and the Al Pacino movie "Bobby Deerfield" when Norm Nielsen had a speaking part and also did part of his classic act.

----- Sonny Narvaez
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Orson Welles performed the Broom Suspension illusion with Lucille Ball in an "I Love Lucy" episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUNc3ASCoeM
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Dean Martin did some excellent card manipulations on one of his shows.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
You could always tell the true conjurers from the fakes based on what effect they performed on those old shows. If they performed a stage illusion or produced anything from their sleeve (i.e. a bouquet) then they are most likely NOT practicers of the art and are more than likely just someone who learned the secret of the self working illusion or effect for the particular episode, as in Orson Welles broom suspension on Lucy.

Dick Van Dyke and Milton Berle, on the other hand, performed magic that required skill and hours of practice and not something that could be learned in less than a day. They are the true practicers of the art and I love seeing them perform magic on those old shows.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Welles did some corny stunts in his day. Fun entertainment nonetheless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG6a8HPYbfI

I'd like to be shot at by Angie Dickenson when I grow up.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Was Dick Van Dyke a juggler too?

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Dick Van Dyke's Multiplying Ball Routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL