The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Dick Van Dyke's Multiplying Ball Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2010-01-20 11:19, jazzy snazzy wrote:
Welles did some corny stunts in his day. Fun entertainment nonetheless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG6a8HPYbfI

I'd like to be shot at by Angie Dickenson when I grow up.

Speaking of Angie Dickinson, she did some nice color changes in one scene in "Rio Bravo", in which Dean Martin also appeared.

Another neat old film is a Robert Benchley short that shows up on TCM from time to time between the movies. It's called "Dark Magic", and in the first scene you get to see a young John Scarne playing "Mr Calypso", a clerk at the toy counter in a department store. He does a short cups and balls routine. Oh, and he doesn't call it "The Cups and Balls", he calls it "The One Ball, Two Ball, Three Ball Trick"
Scarne's steals and loads are breathtaking, and Benchley is a hoot.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Magic1man
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Magic1man
The Beverly Hillbillies episode was hilarious with John Carradine as the magician. Total exposure of some pretty good tricks! I remember making a vanishing bowl of water after seeing it exposed on that show. I was probably around 10 or 11 years old when I first watched it and I remember being so excited to learn the secrets to such great tricks, it was really an inspiration for me.

One thing I believe to be true is that great actors make great magicians. I think there is a lesson there we could learn from.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2010-01-18 15:23, Anatole wrote:
I've always been interested in collecting video of big name actors who perform magic. I just picked up a Dick Van Dyke Show DVD from the local video store with an episode called "A Nice Friendly Game of Cards." Early in the episode, Dick did a multiplying billiard ball routine for Richie from a magic set.

Here's the Van Dyke episode referred to :

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi2594505753/
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2010-03-06 23:44, David Todd wrote:
Quote:
I've always been interested in collecting video of big name actors who perform magic. I just picked up a Dick Van Dyke Show DVD from the local video store with an episode called "A Nice Friendly Game of Cards." Early in the episode, Dick did a multiplying billiard ball routine for Richie from a magic set.

Here's the Van Dyke episode referred to:

The sore loser was Ed Platt, "The Chief of Control" and Maxwell Smart's boss...

Here's another neat short. It wasn't from a movie per se. It was a promotional film Hoyle playing cards released in 1965 to tie into "The Cincinnati Kid"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KQiuvX1xKI
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
One of the writers of the Mr. Ed show was Lou Derman who wrote and performed on a at least one magic episode.
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
Orson Wells was a magician, guys. An outstanding one. He had a magic show during WWII for the USO, and he was the subject of a cover story in Genii not too long ago.
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
One of my favorite tv shows featuring real magicians was the old Mr. Ed show. On one episode there were 3 great magicians, Lou Derman, as msmaster reports, Dick Zimmerman & (I believe) it was the old master himself- Harry Blackstone Sr.

I seem to remember Harry did a flower production,maybe a Bonita. Was a special moment for me to see such a legend.

But the one I can clearly remeber, and impressed me the most, was Dick Zimmerman performing his famous dancing ring on rope trick. Always wanted to buy that trick but never could afford it at that young age. Was the most inspirational trick I`d ever seen untill then. Seems like that trick would have been revived by now.

Have fun,
John
Nothing is better than more.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-01-19 05:25, Stellan wrote:
It is almost painful to see Slydini perform some of the tricks when you have studied and worked on them yourself. One thing is the silks. Can anybody tell me how he gets the silks apart with no effort at all?
Can anybody point me to where I can get that information. I believe that all the tutors on the existing DVD:s on the Silks would want that information too.

Very painful! It is so difficult to adapt his effects to your own self because many of the body gestures, which hid the secret moves, were such a personal reflection of Slydini himself, that it can really look contrived when someone else like you or me, tries to pull them off.

That to me, is the biggest challenge in making Slydini's magic your own. Not that it can not be done, but you are looking at a lifetime of hard work.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-03-07 08:54, DStachowiak wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here's the Van Dyke episode referred to:

The sore loser was Ed Platt, "The Chief of Control" and Maxwell Smart's boss...

Here's another neat short. It wasn't from a movie per se. It was a promotional film Hoyle playing cards released in 1965 to tie into "The Cincinnati Kid"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KQiuvX1xKI

Smoothest second deal I ever saw!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
Quote:

Here's the Van Dyke episode referred to :

I had no idea Dick was that skilled. I would bet he was not specially coached for that episode, but had been doing it for a long time.
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
Quote:
On 2010-01-18 17:59, Pete Biro wrote:
The best of all... Bagdad Café... great premise and great magic.

That is a great movie .... the crazy thing is a lot of people have never seen that one !
The German Actress is fantastic and so is Mr Jack Palance
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
197 Posts

Profile of R Don
Leslie Nielsen as a "doctor" on Airplane did the eggs from mouth with a seated passenger.
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Is Leslie Nielsen an amateur magician also?
Nothing is better than more.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Not to my knowledge, but he sure is one heck of a funny dude! Cracks me up just to look at him. "Dracula, dead and loving it" is the funniest movie I ever saw.
augiemagic
View Profile
Regular user
Overland Park, KS
162 Posts

Profile of augiemagic
I would have to say this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwU2MdQ3c_0

is most definitely my favorite example of "Magic in a non-magic show."
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Although it's been over a year since this thread was originally posted, I thought I'd post another example of Dick Van Dyke doing magic. In this clip from "Bye Bye Birdie"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0GyZwQFOW4&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL830A39EF3ADD75F7, Dick produces a bouquet of feather flowers (1:12) and at about 1:24 he does some sleights with a ball (e.g. the trap vanish).

I wonder, too, if the superimposed drawing of a "happy face" in this film clip is what started the smiley face craze.

(I happened upon this clip by accident while looking for a youtube clip of the song "Put on a Happy Face." Serendipity or synchronicity?)

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Iris Caraway
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Iris Caraway
Quote:
On 2010-04-03 22:12, augiemagic wrote:
I would have to say this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwU2MdQ3c_0

is most definitely my favorite example of "Magic in a non-magic show."

"Magic!" This is the greatest thing.

Neil Patrick Harris started out as a magician before "Doogie Howser." He does a couple of sleights in the show -- producing tickets to a show or something, and making a rubber ball dis- and re-appear.
jay kirwan
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
107 Posts

Profile of jay kirwan
Just watched and cringed at the "Great Zano" on Bewitched.

Would that make it "non-magic" on a magical themed show?!
Andy Gemini
View Profile
Regular user
England
119 Posts

Profile of Andy Gemini
Dick Van Dyke also is shown doing a few tricks in Diagnosis Murder, from what I can remember. I believe he has a great interest in magic, he is also pictured with Mark Wilson in Marks Course In Magic book
isaacfawlkes
View Profile
Loyal user
FL
256 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
Does anyone know what the title of the "Daniel Boone" episode with Channing in it. Is it available anywhere?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Dick Van Dyke's Multiplying Ball Routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL