The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Magic fakery... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tjaymagic
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of tjaymagic
I have now bought 2 ITR's, and have now realised that these are in fact rip offs, as I have found this site: http://magicfakers.blogspot.com.

This has made me both angered and confused as all get out.

IF I am buying from a 'reputable' supplier from the internet, or from a bricks and morter shop, then I 'should' be under the assumption that I have bought something genuine.

This is like buying what you thought was heinz baked beans only to get it home and find out it is the store own brand...

Considering that I have now been duped twice (albeit small amounts, but they are now mounting!!) what can I do to stop myself from falling into this trap.

Is there a listing of dealers that we should be aware of because they supply substandard props, also is there a comrehensive listing somewhere regarding props too. I for one want to support the GENUINE inventor of a utility or gimmick, and not buy pirated stuff.

As far as I'm concerned, if I am buying pirated props, this makes it no different than downloading magic DVD's via the internet. i.e. both are wrong!!
hey... Smile Smile Smile ... what is this signature saying about me?!
Wilber
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Wilber
You could simply email the dealer and ask if the item is an original. If you are at a local brick and mortar just ask the person working and they should tell you whether it is a knockoff or original prop.

If both of those fail then find a new magic dealer.
tjaymagic
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of tjaymagic
I am finding a new magic dealer, at leat it's only costed me 10's of pounds rather than 100's to find that there are knock off products.

Bizzare really, as when I was younger I thought the knock off's where the beginner versions, not cheap rip-offs.

At least I have learned with minimal loss what to look for!
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
When it comes to purchasing magic props:
Research as much as possible.
Buyer beware.
Pay your money and take your chances.
All sales final.

Me? I stick to things I can make or already have and purchase playing cards at Mart Mart cause they are cheap there.
You know why don't act naive.
tjaymagic
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of tjaymagic
This was part of the problem, I did research, although not enough, as I know the trappings of online buying. Personally, I do not buy magic from E-bay (or other online auction sits).

As I was looking for ITR's and linkng rings, I went away from the magic dealers that I was recommended by another magician, as these were cheaper, and stupidly thought that I was OK.

So, if you are recommended magic dealers....do not stray from those!! Unless you are buying something that you deffo know the name of!!

I am not going to name the 'bad' dealers, as their customer service, and delivery was fine, it was 'just' the products in question, so possiblt a lack of education on the dealer's behalf. (pile it high, sell it cheap).

I am going to name the good, and just ignore the bad!

UK magic dealers online that deal with original props are (I will name these) and thier customer service is good too.

Magicbox.uk - They sell some products cheaper, but every product they sell has the author (if they know it.. some have anon). For example the Losander Floating Table, and to quote thier website, ' if it doesn't say Losander's Floating Table, then it's a copy!'. Also it each product tells you the difficulty level, the original inventor's name and any more products that are needed to make this effect work.

The Merchant of Magic - These guys support the magic fakers site, which is a good start, I have made a search on thread on the website, and ALL the products have come up the same, as in product name - by author. This is DVD's, ITR's and IT. I had a slight problem with post with these guys though, they sent me a replacment by 1st class, I got it the next day. The customer service is brilliant.

Alakazam UK - These guys make thier own products, as well as stock original items too, again, I have spoken to them on the phone, as I was having trouble with a transaction (my card was blocked by my bank because I bought too much magic!!), this was resolved, and the item arrived promptly.

Davenports - I haven't used thier online store, but have used their shop. Again, original items, thier staff bend over backwards to give you 1-1 help. (un)fortunatly, this does mean a queue will begin to form if someone goes in and doesn't know what they want. These guys are SO good at thier job, if given half a chance they will demo EVERYTHING in the shop!!! These guys will help anyone. Just have an idea what you want before you enter...you may leave 6 hours later if you aren't too careful, along with the queue behind you not buying anything!!!!

All of these have these things in common,

1) They are run by magicians for magicians.
2) They are bricks and morter shops as well as online stores
3) They stock original items - AND promote the inventor, i.e. 'X' product by Jon Bloggs
4) Thier customer service/delivery is outstanding.

Unless I know the product by name, then and only then will I now do a google search for that product, I did that for the spider pen, and got a nice deal for that.

This along with the magic fakers website (http://magicfakers.blogspot.com) should give beginner and pro magicians alike not to fall foul of knock-off goods.
tjaymagic
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of tjaymagic
I have just re-read this thread, and it makes me sound like I don't know my own mind!!

When I said, 'I am finding a new dealer' that was for ITR only, not for everything!

OOPS! Smile
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Magic is no different than anything else. The only way to protect oneself from being duped is through knowledge and knowledge is gained through education. Instead of simply buying props, read books, study the art and its history, learn who the creators, experts and reputable dealers are. You will probably still make some mistakes along the way, but the more you learn the more you'll know and the more you know, the less likely you will be to be taken in by the uscrupulous.

BTW, for Dj_Qbert: what makes you think that a magic shop (brick & mortar or otherwise) that is selling knock-offs will admit it?
Dick Christian
Wilber
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Wilber
If they are carrying a knockoff it could be because they are offering options that are more economical. Like the grocery store that carries more than one brand of mustard. I don't want to get into a discussion as to other reasons. That topic has been discussed many times on these forums.

My advice was simply to find out which of the stores will give you an honest or dishonest answer.

I am sorry to hear you were ripped off tjaymagic.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Quote:
On 2010-01-22 15:28, Dj_Qbert wrote:
If they are carrying a knockoff it could be because they are offering options that are more economical. Like the grocery store that carries more than one brand of mustard. I don't want to get into a discussion as to other reasons. That topic has been discussed many times on these forums.

My advice was simply to find out which of the stores will give you an honest or dishonest answer.

I am sorry to hear you were ripped off tjaymagic.

Actually, the real reason why some dealers deal in knock-offs is because they can get them cheaper yet sell them at a price comparable to the real thing and thereby increase their profit margin. I've never seen a magic shop that gives a customer the option of buying the real thing or a cheaper knock-off. As to finding out which store will give you an honest answer, do you really believe that a store selling knock-offs will admit it or that an honest dealer would even knowningly carry a knock-off? Get real.
Dick Christian
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Dick knows whereof he speaks...

FWIW, I concur.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
tjaymagic
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of tjaymagic
Quote:
On 2010-01-23 08:29, Dick Christian wrote:

Actually, the real reason why some dealers deal in knock-offs is because they can get them cheaper yet sell them at a price comparable to the real thing and thereby increase their profit margin. I've never seen a magic shop that gives a customer the option of buying the real thing or a cheaper knock-off. As to finding out which store will give you an honest answer, do you really believe that a store selling knock-offs will admit it or that an honest dealer would even knowningly carry a knock-off? Get real.

This is the reason why I gave the reviews on the good and not on the bad (in the sense of knock-offs) as cost is going to be the driving force of some. Whereas there will be ones that may or maynot know that the knock offs aren't original. The 'bad' sellers were only 'bad' because they were knock-offs their customer service/delivery times etc cannot be faulted, it was only the product. The 'good' ones 85/95% of the time tell you the author or manufactuer/dealer, so even though they may be selling a cheaper version of a product, at the very least you can do a bit of research on that particular manufactuer/dealer thereby the customer can make more of an informed choice.

This 'informed choice' was the driving force of this thread. I felt stongly about being ripped off, that I wanted to voice my experiences to others so that they don't do the same as me.
tjaymagic
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of tjaymagic
Oh, one site that should be of use too, is the UK Magic Dealers Association website. This is a none profit making organisation to help consumers know which sites are reptuable, or in the sites words

'The UKMDA consists of dealers who make their main income from magic and who are perceived as having a reputable and ethical business.'

The standards online stores have to adere to, to get membership are these -

A FULL-TIME UK ESTABLISHED MAGIC DEALER

PROVIDES SECURE ONLINE CREDIT/DEBIT CARD FACILITIES

OFFERS A FAIR AND REASONABLE RETURNS POLICY

HOLDS A LARGE PROPORTION OF ITS RANGE IN STOCK AT ALL TIMES

OFFERS A FAIR AND REASONABLE POSTAGE CHARGE

DEALS WITH CUSTOMER QUESTIONS/COMPLAINTS IN A FAST AND PROFESSIONAL MANNOR

PROVIDES GOOD COMUNICATION TO CUSTOMERS

OFFERS ACCURATE DESCRIPTIONS OF THE ITEMS IT SELLS

PROVIDES EXPERT CUSTOMER ADVICE AND PRODUCT SUPPORT

COMPLIES WITH CURRENT UK SELLING REGULATIONS

MAINTAINS A HIGH LEVEL OF QUALITY CONTROL FOR ITS RANGE

So with this site -
http://www.ukmda.co.uk/ (UK Magic Dealers)
and
http://magicfakers.blogspot.com. this one (magic fakers)

You can be better prepared for buying quality products for you magic online.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Magic fakery... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL