The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » To all mentalists using assistant! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
Hi all,
i`m planing to use an assistant in my `shows`. I just wonder in what circumstances it would be better not to use an assistant.
for instance, I am booked for a private party. If I show up not alone, it would look suspicious, unless I say it`s my cameraman who is shooting a video! maybe that will work, I don`t know!
if I have a show in a theatre, my assistant has to pay entrance. I really have no experience using an assistant. I would like to know, where it`s best suited to use an assistant and where rather not!
thanx
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
By assistant do you mean stooge? In a theatre they can pay their way in and sit with the audience. At a private party they are not a runner. Pretending that you have brought along your cameraman is a bit of an obvious ploy - and in addition many bookers would be uncomfortable with you filming their event for your purposes. I know I would be.
If your assistant is being used openly than just bring them along and explain that they are there to help you - that's what an assistant does.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
If I were in your shoes I would be asking myself why I thought I needed an assistant. It seems to me that in the overall scheme of things there are very few effects in mentalism that require an assistant. One of them, of course, is a two-person verbal code act (like the Evasons) where everyone understands that the act consists of a performing duo. The fact that you are trying to justify having someone who is not supposed to be perceived as "part of the act" accompany you indicates that the "assistant" is to be a secret accomplice. If your entire act act is dependent on a confederate, it sounds as though you have an act that is suitable only for presentation in a large theater setting and unless you are a "name" act, such opportunities are likely to be few and far between. If your market includes private parties and small venues (e.g., clubs, cabarets, etc.) effects/routines that require a confederate are probably impractical. Actually, I'd be surprised if your act includes more than one routine that is dependent on an assistant, in which case you can drop it from your program and replace it with a routine that you can do alone.

Of all of the working mentalists I know, only a handful are two person acts --and all but one of them are two-person code acts like the Evasons -- the vast majority of them (Salem, Banachek, Stetson, Kreskin, Cassidy, Karmilovich, Karges, Conover, etc., etc.) work alone.
Dick Christian
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
As a straight up illusionist, I used assistants. Now, as pretty much a mentalist, my assistant is my sound man. He cues the background music, works the lights and wroks any ********** effects.

Peace and Godspeed
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
Ok, but what I mean is a secret assistant who cues me with a th....r, not one who is on stage!
kiki
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3404 Posts

Profile of Looch
I recently brought a photographer to a private gig...

The client had agreed to this prior but still I had some people (and quite rightly so) question him being there taking photos...someone thought he was giving me information through his "trick camera"

Although this was wrong, people aren't far off thinking along the same lines of some methods sometimes
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Just my opinion, but unless you need a t*****r for more than one or two effects that are absolutely essential to your show, drop them from the program. If you do, you should probably rethink your show.
Dick Christian
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
I was once hired to perform the Dancing Handkerchief in a hotel ballroom. The "stage" was a carpeted platform. There were no curtains or wings, just the riser near one end of the room.

Since the effect needed a "helper" I enlisted a friend who I had wear a waiter's jacket. He stood behind a spinnet piano and worked the gimmick subtly with his hands below his waist. As a "waiter" he was invisible, part of the background.

No one noticed him, not even the other waiters, and the effect was pulled off without a hitch.

You may be able to insert an invisible helper as part of the service staff, but you have to be careful and highly circumspect and your friend must be a good actor.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
2 person codes using a thumper where your assistant can be in the audience..

Work for both private partie's and theatre clubs hotels whatever. Because thwy will be visible at all times and appear innocent. In other words no one will see them

http://www.advancedmind.co.uk/7thsensecode.htm
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
If it's a private party where your friend can't be a guest or inserted into the staff, I'd abandon the idea of using a secret assistent. In that case it's probably more practice to i***a s****e an audience member.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » To all mentalists using assistant! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL