The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Training a rabbit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I was wondering what training I need to give a rabbit before using him in my show. I haven't ever used a live animal before and am considering a rabbit. Any help or resources is much appreciated. Thanks.

-Paul
greatscott
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of greatscott
The main thing needed is to get a very young rabbit, to start with. If you make it a point to hold the rabbit often, it will get used to being handled. Getting it used to being handled will reduce, or eliminate the rabbits natural tendency to kick/scratch when you pick it up. If you do that, you should be OK.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
That and keep its nails trimmed.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
It's a good idea to get the bunny used to the production device also.
Mister Mystery
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Thanks for the tips. So there is no magic dvds or books out there that teach how to train a rabbit for magical purposes?
greatscott
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of greatscott
None that I am aware of. But, if you find any kind of training books, or dvd's, please let me know.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Training a rabbit to make an appearance in a show is not difficult at all. My experience has been that most any rabbit that has been tamed can be used with out problems. Now if you are talking about training rabbits to do tricks or things of that nature, that may be more difficult. Rabbits have certain tendacies to do certain things, and these can be utilized in their training. Some bunnies may be easier to train than others. Like with mosy any pet, repetition is the key. However, rabbits are not as easily persuded to do things as, say dogs are. They are not as eager to please you either. They show very little excitment about being rewarded too, and that can present a challenge.
Mister Mystery
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Hey guys do a search on youtube, cant place it right off hand, but there is a magician that has developed a routine where the rabbit comes out of a hat box, makes his way up some stacked boxes to a michrophone, and talks to the audience, I say talk, but the rabbit really does a comedy stand up routine,,, funny stuff, its amazing what food coming from a michrophone stand can do!!! it is funny. seen him on some late nite shows, and Abbotts convention, should be on youtube, he also does some great comedy magic routines,,, the guy not the rabbit...LOL,.
123TJS321
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of 123TJS321
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
1213....321 did good digging that up. lots of my old friends in that clip. He also has a full version of it somewhere on the tube for view. he also does the jumbo head under cups trick as well. but keep looking for rabbit vid, should be out there.
RodHousley
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of RodHousley
Training a rabbit is like trying to train a field mouse, it doesn't work as easily as you may think. My best advice is that they like food and sweet stuff. Not carrots and lettuce, but cereals with sugar. They have a good sense of smell and will follow what they like, sugar.
mysterious JO
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of mysterious JO
They love the smell of hay! mine loves the timothy hay with the mint in it! and I suggest CLICKER training! http://www.binkybunny.com/catalog/gettin......bbit.htm
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Training a rabbit (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL