The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » For those who use a rabbit... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
If you were to use a box-type rabbit production, what would be the ideal size of the load space, if you had a choice?

I am planning to add a particular production box to the items that I make. But, realizing that rabbits come in many sizes I thought it would be a good idea to get the opinions of other magicians who have and use rabbits, and possibly take the average (assuming I get enough responses).

I have built many similar devices to hold doves, as I worked with them for many years, but it has been decades since I owned a rabbit. I thought, "Why guess, when I can ask?"

The approximate length, width, and height of the required load space would be all the information I'd need.

Thanks everyone!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
To me, the number of cubic inches I put in depends on the trick....the more room I can engineer into it, the better. I like to give rabbits enough room to turn around, if possible. Even more than space, three are other issues that need to be addressed.

All of the stuff I've built has extra ventilation. Since many props are black on the inside, they get hot very quickly. It could be as simple as a screened opening somewhere it won't be seen, or corner blocks in the lid that raise it 1/4" all the way around.

Also, if they're gonna be in there a while, there are other concerns. I built a Doves to Rabbit for a client recently that came complete with "toilet facilities."

Basically, it depends. What kind of prop are you building?

Dan Wolfe/EARL
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Michael, I have owned many rabbit boxes over the years. I prefer the Abbott's Elusive Bunny Box over all of them. The main reason I like this box is it's size. (The small version, not the large) I have had some nice rabbit production boxes that are simply too large, IMO. The smaller the size, the more magical the production!

Having said that, there are other things to consider. I use Netherland Dwarfs, so my bunnies are on the smaller size. You might need to go larger if it is more of a "one-size-fits-most" design. Also, I would not want to use any box that I thought would make my bunnies uncomfortable.

What Earl said about ventilation is a great idea. I personally do not leave my bunnies loaded for very long, but some do, so ventilation is a great idea.

Also, another thing I would like to see in a bunny box is a mechanical device, such as a lever, or button to make the production. The standard lift is simple and effective, but I always thought it would be nice to have a way to do it without lifting, or even touching the lid.

One other thing that would be nice.....and this is asking a lot.....but a way to vanish the rabbit also. I panel may be hard to lift, but I have always thought a rolled-up, drop-down cloth could be effective.

Just some thoughts. I can get you some dimensions if you need them, but I will have to unpack it, and I am leaving in a few minutes. It will be late tonight before I can get to it at the earliest. If you need it sooner I believe Abbott's list the outside dimensions on their website. That would probably be plenty enough to get you started, or least plenty to think about.

Best of luck on your new project!

Regan
Mister Mystery
greatscott
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of greatscott
I think a load area that is a little bigger than the normal rabbit production would be great. The reason being that I hear a lot of magicians complaining that the load area is too small for their rabbit. I raise rabbits, and I always have magicians calling me, asking for a smaller rabbit, because the rabbit they have is too big for their prop. When I build rabbit props, I build them to hold a rabbit up to 8 pounds (give or take).
When I go out to feed my rabbits, today, I will get some measurements on a rabbit that size, and send them to you.

David
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
What is needed is a flexible approach to the problem because of the size differences. If you could build a prop that has a space for a load container, but hold off on building and installing the actual container until a customer sends you specific dimensions, you would open up a new era on made-to-order magic props.

In other words, when a customer orders your prop, have him put the rabbit intended for the prop into a cardboard box that is the exact size he wants for the rabbit. Then he measures the box and e-mails you the dimensions. You then construct the load chamber and install it in the prop. A satisfied customer and a satisfied rabbit.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks to all for your input!

Dan,

I'm a fan of your work! I appreciate you taking the time and concern to post on this. I can tell by your response you obviously care for the animals.

Agreed on the more room the better, which is why I did ask in the first place (see also my comments to Regan). I should have been more specific and asked the approximate dimensions of a rabbit. Ventilation is already being factored into this. I've seen the best and worst with boxes for doves, and of the items that I've made for doves, I go with the former. Smile

Confinement time should be minimal for this next project, whereas a Doves to Rabbit usually must sit there waiting on the doves to be produced first. (Very clever on the toilet facilities, BTW!)

This item will be similar to the Box, Tray, & Screen, shifting load space, but with some differences.

Regan,

Thank you as well for your valued input. I understand your comments on the size of the box. Correct me if I am wrong.

Many production devices must contain a load (rabbit or otherwise), and also have a space that is shown empty, as seen by the audience. The size of the load space compared to the outer dimensions of the prop are usually inconsistent. Examples would be a M****r Box, where the load space is typically less than half of the overall box, or the box with the slide-in panel that you draw a picture of a rabbit on (I forgot the name of that prop). It also has the issue of "audience viewing space", plus load space, even if well disguised. In some cases it would be like using a steamer trunk to produce an egg.

Having the size of the prop and the size of the item produced pushed closer together is of course ideal. The design I have here does that, I believe.

Your comment on the alternate way to produce the bunny (aside from using the lid) is something that this project won't need to be concerned with, but in regard to those types of boxes, I think that is a great idea. I'm sure most dealers don't want to deal with that though, because it would probably add considerably to the production cost.

David,

Your concerns over size is, as I mentioned in response to Dan's comments, is why I asked in the first place. Of the boxes for rabbits that I have seen, I have been amazed at how small the spaces seemed. I thought them to be very under-designed, with regard to what the real world is like. The owner of such a box would either be forced to obtain a very small, if not a baby rabbit, or use the box for something smaller than a rabbit. I am reminded of the MAK head box with the torch. Only a child could fit their head in that space, and what magician in their right mind would put a 5 or 6 pound box around a kid's head?

If you do get approximate average dimensions of your rabbits, that would be terrific! Thanks!

Spellbinder,

Another good idea from a veritable fountain of creativeness!! Now the key would be to find a customer willing to wait for the length of time it would take to build one, and willing to pay for custom work. LOL! It would also be a shame to build a custom prop, tailored to fit a particular bunny, only to learn soon thereafter that the poor thing left for the great beyond.

BTW - I am only planning on building a few of these at the most. This is not to be an item for the average user, but more consistent with the collector design apparatus that is my niche. Of course, though, I will make sure it can be used, hence my concern for the size, and why I was searching for an average. Owners of dwarf rabbits would be producing a smaller rabbit, and owners of monsters will need to find a bigger box somewhere else.

Thanks again to all!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
greatscott
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of greatscott
Michael,
I measured one of my mini lops for you. He weighs around 7 pounds (give or take). With him laying down, as he would in most load chambers, he is roughly 13"-14" long, 6"-7" wide, and 6" high. I hope these measurements help you. If you need any other info just let me know. I have several breeds that I can get you measurements, or other info on.
David
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
David,

BIG help! Thanks!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Michael, I can also give you some bunny measurements. Don't tell Hef! Smile

I had measured my bunnies a while back for another project. They are both Netherland Dwarf's, so they are smaller than David's. My older bunny is almost 8 years old now, and he is a bit overweight. These measurements were taken about 6 months or so ago, so not much has changed with him. I would guess him to weigh in at around 3.5 to 4 pounds.

Layed out like David described, he measured 10" x 5 1/2" x 5".

My little guy was a little less than a year old when I measured him. He has grown a little now, but at that time I would guess he weighed around 2 pounds, and he measured 9" x 4" x 4 1/2".

Maybe this will help some.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hi Regan,

Yes, that does help. Thank you!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
Hey Mike,
Are you going to post a photo when your done?
Eric
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Sure, but it's a project that will take some time.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » For those who use a rabbit... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL