The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » New ventriloquist documentary 'Dumbstruck' receiving favorable reviews (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
Usually they are going to showcase a couple of "stars" .......then go for the "unusual" personalities to make it more interesting....the regular old guy slogging it out day to day is not that interesting to watch, in terms of cinema---right?
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Like Keith, I have not seen "Dumbstruck", just watched the trailer a few times, and from that, I also don't see "Dumbstruck" as changing anyone's perception of the vent world, if anything, it looks like it will just reinforce the same old, same old.......
Not that it will stop me from getting a copy if and when it's released on DVD, naturally, like anyone else who has loved the art for any length of time, I imagine most of us are used to it by now, and we can watch and either shake our heads or laugh at the oddball stuff and enjoy the rest.
I've never seen "BellyTalkers" (and sadly don't ever expect to get to see it), but "I'm No Dummy" I think did a good job of portraying vent and vents in a normal and reasonable way, but then vent people had a hand in it's production, so that probably accounts for the difference.

It seems to me there used to be a saying, I think it it may have been a show business saying (I don't know that for sure), "any press is good press" and often times, I've looked at it that way. Even if something is the old "evil dummy" or "cracked vent" theme, at least at some point, it gives an idea of what vent is suppose to be, and it's something to keep people from completely forgetting what vent is. For the most part, personally, I don't think much about the negative presentation aspects, I just enjoy seeing (almost) anything with vent as the theme (notice I said "almost", there have been some exceptions).

In my own limited little world, when someone finds out I practice ventriloquism, it's always one of three reactions;
1. they want to see me do it or,
2. they say how "those dummies creep me out" (often mentioning Chucky - the one that bugs me since that had nothing whatsoever to do with ventriloquism)
Those two were the most common for a very long time, the third reaction being relatively new in recent years;
3. they tell me how they love one of Dunham's characters (of course they often don't know Jeff's name, but they know the character's)
Personally, I don't see the general perceptions ever changing anyway no matter what anyone does to show it in a positive light, so I think it's like I said earlier when watching something like "Dumbstruck" - just look past the oddball stuff and enjoy watching something about vent.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
We have press releases, photos, and even suggested people to be interviewed by the press that our Media Coordinator hands out. I remember one incident where we bent over backwards for the Washington Post newspoaper. Even gave the reporter a special individual tour of Vent Haven Museum. He thanked us and when the story came out the opening line was "Here's a convention of hacks, has-beens, and never-weres"..and that was just for starters. We have tried every route with the media for 34 years..we have given them special access, special this and that, treated them like kings and queens, and the result was almost always the same..it was a negative bashing. Most of these so-called media people came to the ConVENTion with an angle..usually slanted at making us look stupid or out of touch. They purposefully zeroed in on some of the not-quite-stable vents (hey, every family has them! Smile ) and featured them to show how the conVENTion and vent was really about. I could list horror stories that could fill pages and pages.

After a while we stopped being the "whipping boy", and told them that we would like a fair and positive story. I asked one newpaper reporter who called if he had an "agenda" before he came and was going to look for that agenda. He did..and never showed up. I am a bit sensitive to all of this press stuff..and I still say not all press is good press! Say one positive thing and 10 people hear it..say one negative thing and 1,000 hear about it. Documentaries are fine, asl long as they are fair and accurate . Most of the ones trying to come to the ConVENTion has some negative story to write and ventriloquism is in their sights.

Sorry again for the rave, but vent is so much more than what they portray and a wonderful art! I feel we all have an obligation to elevate it whenever and wherever possible!

Mark
markwade@kidshowvent.com
kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
Sorry for the grammatical typos! I'm not a great typist!

Mark
markwade@kidshowvent.com
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Quote:
but vent is so much more than what they portray and a wonderful art! I feel we all have an obligation to elevate it whenever and wherever possible!

Absolutely!
But the other stuff is still there, will always be there to some degree, and I long ago decided I just needed to accept that fact and not let it bother me - and that's not to say we shouldn't try to elevate it when we can (including not giving an opportunity to people with an agenda), but aside from that, there's no point in letting the other stuff drive you crazy.

KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Quote:
On 2011-04-03 15:57, kidshowvent wrote:
... vent is so much more than what they portray and a wonderful art! I feel we all have an obligation to elevate it whenever and wherever possible!

Amen, Mark!
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

That is a very good review, sure the writer isn't a vent on the side?

CaptKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of CaptKirk
I would pay to see this at a local theater, something I rarely do. However, I just checked and found out that it should be released on DVD in 4 - 5 months, as most newly released movies are. Still, I'd like to see it now. Anyone have any idea when it will be in more theaters across the country??
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

I wouldn't expect to see it appearing in theaters nationwide.
Personally, I'd prefer to wait for the DVD, I find it much more enjoyable (and cheaper) to watch movies at home.

Vegasvent
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix
288 Posts

Profile of Vegasvent
Wilma Swartz(one of the Ventriloquists showcased in Dumbstruck)stated that she would be attending the premiere and party for Dumbstruck on the 12th in Hollywood. She listed the theater as Grummans Egyptian Theater.(anywhere near Graumans Chinese Theater??)
The Egyptian Theater opened in 1922 and was operated by Sid Grauman, who later built the world famous "Grauman’s Chinese" across the street. Hollywood’s first premiere, "Robin Hood" starring Douglas Fairbanks, lit up the movie palace with a multitude of stars, flashing lights and red carpet, which set the stage for every movie premiere held thereafter.

Other showings are as follows:
Atlanta, GA Midtown Art Cinema, April 15
Washington, D.C. E-Street Cinema, April 22
New York, NY, Cinema Village, April 22
Los Angeles, CA Regent Theatre, April 29
Dallas, TX Magnolia Theatre, May 6
Indianapolis, IN Keystone Theatre May 13
Minneapolis, MN Uptown Theatre May 20
St. Louis, MO Tivoli Theatre May 20

Looks as though most will have to await the DVD release to view.
Magical Phil-Kidzshow, LLC

"My Wife says that either all of my Stuff goes, or she does......" "Boy, I'm sure gonna miss her cookin'."
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Oh, man, I miss Cinema Village. I saw many a movie there when I was a student at NYU! Ah, the memories...
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Here are the red carpet photos from the Premiere http://www.apimages.com/Search.aspx?st=d......yle=AND&
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Looks like an interesting night! Thanks for the link Steve.

Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
I must really be out of touch with showbiz. Aside from the producers, Jenna Elfman, and Wilma Swartz, I didn't know who any of those people were.

B
Vegasvent
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix
288 Posts

Profile of Vegasvent
Jenna is not a big name actress anymore since the cancellation of "Dharma and Greg" many years ago. She probably showed-up as a favor to those connected to the production of the film, or maybe her limo dropped her off at the wrong Red-Carpet. Oh Well.....after all, the movie is about Ventriloquists!..
Magical Phil-Kidzshow, LLC

"My Wife says that either all of my Stuff goes, or she does......" "Boy, I'm sure gonna miss her cookin'."
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3284 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I have been invited to an advanced screening of Dumbstruck on May 25th in San Francisco; the invitation includes a guest; if anyone is going to be in the San Francisco area on May 25th, PM me for further information

Buzz
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
I saw this movie in Dallas, and have to say that I felt it was a kind, and accurate, portrayal of the types of people that you will find in any collective of artists, hobbyists, or aficionados.

For me, it wasn't about vents, it was about people, and the common thread of these people was ventriloquism. I am sure the editing made some differences, but the chance to experience the same thing through five different sets of eyes is really the point of the movie, at least in my opinion.

I found it enjoyable, at times uncomfortable, at times inspiring, and overall, worth the price of a ticket.

I also would consider purchasing it when it is available. I am interested in hearing what the producers and director have to say, and hope it is run with a commentary.

YMMV
MT
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of MT
Saw this recently. Terry was portrayed well. Wilma was not portrayed well. It almost seemed as though she was portrayed in a weird, crazy sort of way. The film showed Wilma with Tigerman, who is kinda weird and crazy. Tigerman wasn't even a vent. The show Wilma did had very few people in it. The film showed plenty of empty chairs as if implying that no one was interested.

Also, the film brought up the beauty queen's mom who mentioned at least twice how weird it was for her daughter to consider her puppets as her pseudo-children.

I don't know any of these 5 people in the movie, but the average person watching this will think that some vents are weird.

I find that there will always be some weird folks in any group of people. Can't help it, but I don't think the film needed to focus on that. It's unappetizing.

On the positive side, I appreciate how they showed the life of Dan Horn, how it's a hard life balancing marriage with work on a cruise ship. That seems to be reality.

Met the film producers. They seem very friendly and approachable. I'm sure they really gave a lot to get this film done and should be credited for something.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3284 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I don’t know if this was a movie about ventriloquism, not much in the way of performers, performing performances, or people with problems in life that attended the ConVENTion; except the kid of course, he was funny

Kim Yeager was at least working as a Ventriloquist and seemed to have a profession, I know she’s married now and has given up the idea of working cruise ships; good for her. From my understanding she talked to Dan Horn and found it was not the fun job she thought it would be

Dan Horn is established, the others, I can’t conclude why the producers decided to follow them
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » New ventriloquist documentary 'Dumbstruck' receiving favorable reviews (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL