We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Performing trickle shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
I was just re-reading Jimmy Talksalot's book - a great read by the way- and was wondering if any of you guys perform what he call's 'trickle' shows - shows that continue on and on, where people watch and drop money, rather than a set show show, for say 10-12 mins?

I'm looking at doing a trickle show as, in Jimmy's own words, it's a good way to find out what works and what doesn't, and a good way to get more performing time and confidence, though he suggests that it is not necessarily the best way to make money. Best of all, I think I would be more comfortable performing this way to start and then I can work on specific techniques like crowd building and hat lines when I develop a 'set show'.

I hope that made sense. I'm just wondering if any guys work these trickle shows instead of set shows, and how sucessful the hats tend to be with these shows?

Thanks you guys,

John
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
PM`d you.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
A trickle show is a receptacale out during the whole lengh of your show that is a tricle show.
A trickle is a refrance to how the money comes in, ie coins trickle in to your hat as opposed to hatting it at the end of your show.
A trickle show is not subject to how long or short it is.
Mario
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
Mario, we are on the same page.

yep a trickle is how the money and or walkers come in or by.

yep the receptical is out there.

and no it has nothing to do with how long or short it is, in fact if you are rotating routines your performance could go on all day.

in fact I think what I was talking about, was a "routine rotation" on a trickle, that is where the receptical is out and after every routine you tell the audience that you will be there all day and that there is no end and that you are accepting donations.

"rotation" meaning there is no big end or finale to the show it just goes on hatting after every routine.

the title of the chapter is "rotation show or a trickle show" pg.84

after rereading it myself, in the chapter I was refering to the rotation show when on a trickle.

I could understand why this was confusing because of the "or" but the chapter more then makes it clear.

here is a link to the original artical as it looks in the book.

http://jimmytalksalot.blogspot.com/2007/......how.html

hopefully now that the termanology is cleared up I hope that some of the folks who busk this way will respond.

Munskin, I know what you are talking about and I hope the best for you, I would like to suggest that those routines are scripted because that's sort of the whole point of the exercize.

any way good luck and have fun.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Old time veterans not familiar with the exercize have contacted me and and asked for some suggestions on creating a new show quickly and efficiently and I always give this as a suggestion, many of them have contacted me later and told me that this was exactly what they needed and that they had a new show in record time.

some where even trying to create an indoor show because their street show wasn't playing to well inside.

understand that this and many other of the things in my book are not my ideas but stuff that has been told to me by some of the old timers who told me what to write, it is how I have lived my life and has brought me great success in my goals.

if anybody can get anything out of it, then I feel like I have done my job.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Anyways how the word is interpreted my findings were >>> The performance of magic as a continued performance over a fairly long period where the speckies passing by can walk or hat as they please. To be compared with a human statue type presentation.

Tried it a few times but found that like it or not a few people stopped, drew in others and before I knew it an audience had formed. So this to me seemed to be a form of crowd gather rather than a set method.

My findings.
Ken.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5427 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Call it what you want.... if you are a magician and not all that entertaining and you want to work the streets its not bad idea to work a "trickle"....which by this definition is a never ending non show where you do tricks and collect as people come and go...jimmys right that its a great way to see what magic plays the best for you and also makes you better because youre working...and you can make money...

the other benefit is if theres some traffic where you're doing this you don't need to build because youre really not looking for a big audience just people to perform for...go for it
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
It works well for other types of acts also, especially musicians. Also, for myself, as a ventriloquist, I can work on material, interacting over a period of time with passers-by. It isn't as effective as hatting but it's good for developing material or in a place where big crowds and obvious hatting will get you moved along (like the SA Riverwalk)
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
Thanks everyone for the input. Sorry for the confusion, I was just looking to see if people perform rotation shows as a rule. I think it's a great way to build my confidence, plus build anstrong character with decent magic routines. Hopefully, I'll still make respectable hats while performing such shows, but, to be honest, the main aim is to build experience, rather than money (at the beginning anyway).

Thanks,

John
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Wow great thread, some really great input from some great buskers.

Munskin,

I think your head is in the right place. thanks for all the kind words I wish you all the best in this thing that we do.

your pal jimmy.
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
I've ALWAYS done a trickle. My can is out throughout the whole show. In the last couple of years I've tried to use a beginning , middle and end to the show using an additional pitch. I found doing 3 tricks with a difinitive end made more money than the trickle, BUT some people will watch a trick and contribute immediately and leave for a lunch date or whatever. Since I'm performing, it only made sense for me to have my money can out. It's there whenever they want to give. I have had 2 cases where I got ripped off from some losers. Still I want it visible whenever I'm performing.
So says the Giz!!!
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

I was going to bring TheGiz up the second I read the original post, but I didn't want to speak for him cuz I don't know him that well.

TheGiz has got a great book that deals with the subject, it's called "street wise"

I would recomend it if your thinkin about workin this way.

I loved it, it was one of the few products out there that dealt with the sidewalk in detail.

I'm a huge fan of sidewalk and doorway acts.

http://blackbeltmagician.com/book.html

of course the book talks about all aspects of street performing, but it really goes in debth about what we are talking about here.

hey giz I hope to hang out with you one day.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
I love trickle. It's kept food in my belly and plane tickets.

great way to get a feeling for a new pitch.

awesome way to break in new material, or to exparament around.

its a must know if your gonna work streets. start small. eventually you will work up to large shows. but if the pitch doesn't allow large shows, you can still spread your magic and make money.

sidebar note: I was a super fast pitch in Ferra, Italy. Uber narrow streets and soooo many performers. I performed a version of matrix, lasting about 2 minutes. Each showing got me 10 to 20 euros. I did that more than 30 times the rest of the night. Needless to say I had a nice dinner that night;)
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I've been saying this in posts here for several years now. If you want to work a trickle Gary Mckibben's book is the best there is. http://blackbeltmagician.com/book.html

Here's something from a post I wrote here in 2004 on Gary's book:

"Prof. Gizmo has written a very nice little standard primer on street work called "A Guide To Magical Street Performing." In my opinion it should be called "A PRACTICAL Guide To Magical Street Performing" because it really just cuts through all the rhetoric and explains the work in very easy to understand bite sized pieces. This is a great little book and the price could not be better"

Gary has some GREAT advice on building a show from the ground up and getting it working. Practical stuff from a guy who's a real worker. I love this little book.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
Thanks for the kind words Danny & Jimmy. If you're ever in KC the Starbucks is on me. Love to hang out and shmooze.
-thegiz

Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
Giz book sounds just what I need. I think I should get a free copy for drawing attention to it. Just kidding lol

john
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
In most cases, a pitch will have a busy time ... like say 6pm whem people start showing up for the dinner rush ... I like to show up early and work a trickle until this busy time when I can then work a flush. This way you don't have to fight for parking, and your earning something while waiting for the rush.

In general, what I do depends on (1) how many people are watching me, (2) how many people are in the area that could be watching me, and most importantly (3) how much time they are willing to invest.

They will obviously invest less time on Friday night before dinner than they will on say Monday night at 8pm when they have 2 hours to kill before the firework show.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I hate doing a trickle shows, I will leave the hat out during the show but I still have a start and a end to the show and flush at the end.

However one pitch I work only works as a trickle, just the way the crowds (or lack there of) work.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
Starting out, the trickle will let you know if you can entertain a crowd. Just look in the can. . .

fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
Giz

Great book. Your book has a crowd build bit, that was worth twice the price of the book!!! You have a heckler line that still has me laughing and can't wait to use. Great Book. Everyone else if you don't have book get it.

Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Performing trickle shows (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL