The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » New Orleans Convention in the 80's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1886 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I was entered in the New Orleans IBM convention Gold Medal competition sometime around 1982. Someone at the convention videotaped all the performers who signed release forms to allow recording their contest acts. I am trying to find contact information for the person who made the tape in the hope of getting a new copy. My original copy has gotten lost over the years. If anyone on the Café was entered in that contest and has a copy, that would be just as good. Please PM me if you can help. Thanks!
----- Sonny Narvaez
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7550 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
That might have been when the Japanese where taping a lot of the conventions. Pete Biro might know on that.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1886 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I might be mistaken, but I think NHK's first IBM convention was the one in Norfolk the year after New Orleans. I was the local coordinator for that one. My main reason for attending the IBM convention in New Orleans was to meet with the planning committee for the Norfolk convention.

There was an awkward (perhaps delicate) moment when NHK wanted to record a short video tour of Norfolk and wanted to include a flyover of the Norfolk Naval Base as background info about the host city. The US Navy made it very clear that that would not be allowed. There are signs on barbed wire fences all along the public streets going past the Naval Base stating that no pictures of the base are to be taken even from public roads.

Earl Edwards Ring 103 in Norfolk was the host sponsor of the convention that year and we received a copy of the NHK broadcast, a nice memento of a great convention with stars like Tomsoni, Johnny Hart, and Hans Moretti. The hosts of the broadcast spoke Japanese, of course, but the performance footage was all in English with the Japanese commentators providing background narrative. That year might also have been the last year that the local ring provided the entertainment for the first night show. I was really proud that the performance of two of our local magicians who appeared on the first night show made the final cut in the NHK broadcast in Japan. It also helped that Bob McAllister, who got his start in television at a Norfolk TV station, was the emcee for the first night show. (I do think that NHK had recorded FISM a year or so before the Norfolk convention and got such good ratings that they contracted to do the IBM convention the next year.)

If by any chance I'm wrong and New Orleans _was_ the first IBM convention recorded by NHK, I'd love to get a copy of that broadcast if it's available anywhere.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7550 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I wonder if Levent might have a copy. If I am not mistaken, he competed there that year.

I do also have copy (though poor) of the Norfolk and Hawaii NHK convention converage. Nice to see some of the acts again.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » New Orleans Convention in the 80's (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL