The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My find of the day! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Today the wife took me to the local antique shop with her. While looking I came across a small leather container that had a silver shot glass style cup in it, and a gold plate on the inside. When I asked to see it, I found two cups nested perfectly inside the other (3 cups total). These cups are so precisely made that side by side the eye can not see any distinct size difference. However, if you reserve the cups that stack perfectly with enough attic space for the smallest balls provided by RNT2. The best part? entire set was 12 bucks. Of course here are the pictures!

-Lee
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
While I was at the antique store I also stumbled across this gem sitting next to the cups. Its a wooden hand inlayed magic coin changer. I know nothing about the piece expect for what it did (which was more than the person selling it).

-Lee
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Wow, that was the first magic item I ever had. My dad brought me into Chinatown Boston on my birthday. We had lunch at a place called "Shake Hands With the Dragon". There was a very spooky shop called Q.W. Lung Company. Got one of those and a more rectangular cigarette style box. Mystified the kids in 2nd grade with them.
The rest, as they say,
is history.

Looks like you have an older one since the picture seems to be actual wood inlay. Later versions are painted.
Great find on the cups too.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Wow Lee, I'm going shopping with you guys!

I visit antique shops often & keep my eyes open for things like this... Unfortunately, thus far I haven't stumbled across anything magical.

Congrats on your finds.

Best,

Doug
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Nice finds!
My wife drags me to the antique place from time to time, I should pay more attention next time.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Doesn't happen often for me, but it is really a thrill to run into those treasures. I love that "experienced" stuff, and always wonder what the stories would be could it speak...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Was this in Goodlettesville? I have found some really neat things along antique row there.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
This was in the middle of east nashville in an area called "5 points"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you ever get to the eastern part of Indiana there's a H U G E antique mall, named Webb's. I used to go there every year on off days covering the Indy 500. Found tons of great stuff there.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Me too Pete. I picked up a lot of bizarre props at Webbs over the years. I have a beautiful lap desk I refinished and converted into a close-up case that came from there and a couple of old books on Spiritualism that were real finds for me. I could spend hours in Webb's antique mall.
And cool cups Lee.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'll have to come up to one of my Nashville events a day early sometime so I can browse 5 points.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
That's a cool find! Big fan of found items.
You know why don't act naive.
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Quote:
On 2010-01-25 00:21, Bill Palmer wrote:
I'll have to come up to one of my Nashville events a day early sometime so I can browse 5 points.

Just let me know, we got a great deli in 5 points as well. I'll drive.
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
I always go in to places like that hoping but it never happens. Congrads on you find.
...the magic that creates Memories!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My find of the day! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL