The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Richard Kaufman: coin magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dai_vernon
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of dai_vernon
Hey, I was just wondering, what is better about this book than Bobo. I'm kind of short on cash and I try and get the best coin book. So just tell me what you think.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6582 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
They're different--you can't really compare them. It's like saying, what's better, a steak or a Chevy? Ok, that's a bit of a stretch, I'll admit...

The Bobo book is more encyclopedic, and it teaches the building blocks of coin magic followed by routines that use them, of all skill levels.

This book (Kaufman's) contains routines from many top-flight coin men, and many of the routines are EXTREMELY advanced.

If you only get one, get Bobo. If you don't already know the stuff in there, you won't be able to do the vast majority of the stuff in Coinmagic--in fact, you probably won't even know what they're talking about most of the time!

If you are already an advanced coin magician, then this book is well worth your attention. besides the large Roth section, the material by Sol Stone and Geoff Latta is particularly notable.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
247 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
Scott's advice is dead-on. I would second his comments. Bobo's-especially the hard back edition as opposed to the Dover edition-is foundational. Richard's book is one of your next steps.
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
If you're just starting out get Bobo's book. It will give you an excellent foundation because it gives you EVERYTHING you want to know about coins. It starts out giving you a good foundation and then you can progress from there (it also includes advanced handling). Get the hard bound book (about U.S. $35.00), it's definitely worth every penny. FYI advanced coin handlers refer to the book from time to time.

Regards,
Tony
NickW
View Profile
New user
Derby, UK
66 Posts

Profile of NickW
I've got and treasure the Dover edition of Bobo - is it worth trying to get hold of the hardback edition? What extra material does it include? (Not that I'm sure I can cope with much more than the Dover edition anyway - plenty to keep me busy there!)
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Nick,

Read this thread...

[expired link]
Click to visit:
NickW
View Profile
New user
Derby, UK
66 Posts

Profile of NickW
There goes the bank balance again...

Thanks. I think. Smile
preston91
View Profile
Regular user
clearwater,fl
187 Posts

Profile of preston91
David:
another place to look for digital format magic books is http://thelearnedpig.com.pa

Paul
Megatherion
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Megatherion
Hi,

Are you interested in close up or stage magic?

If you like stage manipulation I would go for books by T. N. Down otherwise I would buy Bobo´s book. Make sure it is the complete one (not the Dover one).

Yours faithfully

:devilish: Dan Kirsch Smile
MichelAsselin
View Profile
Veteran user
20th century, 3rd dimension
325 Posts

Profile of MichelAsselin
Be aware that a fair bit of the material belongs in the I-am-sitting-to-perform-please-keep-your-head-at-this-angle school; killer stuff in the right circumstances, but sometime you will have to engineer the circumstances onto the spectators. The Latta stuff if great, so is of the Roth material. There is a killer Slydini bit as well.
" , ? ; !!! "
- Marcel Marceau, Feb 30, 1945.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
I'm on the side of the "angels", above:
Bobo is THE coin book.
Kaufman is what you might get after you have mastered some areas of Bobo.
The major problem with much of the Kaufman book is that it is one-on-one, seated, at a draped table, and very angly.
These are circumstances that you are unlikely to find in real-life performing.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
684 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
Another book that should be consided is David Roth's Expert Coin Magic, though like Kaufmans Coin Magic, it is another step up.

A lot of magicians think of Roth's material as impractical, as you need to be seated. Admittedly some of the routines are like that, but that still leaves a whole lot of great commercial effects that can be used in a working situation.

I use his shell coins across almost every time I perform. I also use his Flurry rountine on a regular basis.

Regarding Kaufmans coin magic in your original question, it contains an absolute killer Copper/Silver/Brass effect using a purse by Geoff Latta, it is a masterpeice of construction and well worth checking out. Well worth the price of the book alone.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Iain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Richard Kaufman: coin magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL