The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Is this right? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicmarie
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of magicmarie
I've just joined my local magic club. It seemed a great group of people until I went to our holiday party. There the club officers were reserved the best table and allowed to go through the banquet line first. I have also learned that they get preferential seating at all clubs event's, lectures, and shows and that the Club President not only gets into lectures for free but gets a dinner with the lecturer and the tab picked up by the club. When questioned I was told that these perks were put in place to encourage other members to volunteer to hold offices and that without them they have a difficult time finding new people to serve. I think this stinks to high heaven and reeks of elitism. But then I am new to this magic club thing and maybe this is just how they run. Has anyone else heard of a club doing such things?
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Nope...never heard of it. Our club considers each member to be no more, or less, valuable than any other member. Everyone is treated the same whether they are an "officer" or not. It's too bad when someone accepts an officer position and then feels they are entitled to things and that, somehow, they have become important. As I have always said, we are, after all, just a bunch of big kids playing tricks on each other!

Mark.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Glad to hear that all rings are not like that.

Several years ago I was running the spotlight and a slide projector for Mark Wilson at the IBM Convention in Salt Lake City. I had set up front center in the balcony and some IBM VIPs and their significant others treated me rudely because they felt like I was taking their seats because their "rank" entitled them to those particular seats.

Like you say, just big kids having fun with tricks but some folks tend to take themselves too seriously.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7338 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Or as my dad would say..."They think their s*** does not stink but their farts keep giving them away".

Not all groups are like this. Hang in there.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hah! Father knows best!!!

Mark. Smile
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Magicmarie,
In our Ring (239) everyone is even steven but I do know of other Rings that are just as you described.
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
422 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
I'm sorry that happened to you. It does happen. Sometimes people lose sight of their purpose in any organisation and give in to their egos (a great example of this is in the government - they are our employees, they are supposed to serve the public - instead, they see it as a position of power - which is often abused).

Every club has its quirks. You go and contribute and work to make the club a better place for everyone. Smile
Gordyboy
View Profile
Loyal user
British Columbia, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of Gordyboy
I can understand the desire to try and attract volunteers, but to me that's not acceptable. But that's by the standards of our club.
I am just finishing off my second term as President of IBM Ring 92 - The Vancouver Magic Circle. As President, my feeling is that I am here to serve the club and it's members, and I am confident that the other members of our Executive feel the same way.
At our events where we have meals (annual Christmas Banquet, Installation Dinner, summer picnic, etc) I co-ordinate getting the tables served (usually trying to get tables with a majority of seniors fed first, taking care of special needs etc) and I am pretty much the last one to get fed. I do make sure I get good seating, just because I want to be close to the stage for hosting duties etc.., but the Executive are generally dispersed around the room.
Our Executive members do not get preferential treatment in other ways, we pay the same as any member for lectures etc.. We usually invite guest lecturers out for a meal afterwards and the club pays for the guest but we all pay our own way.
We have monthly Executive meetings, usually at a restaurant where we each pay our own tab, there is no cost to the club.
I'm sure that having preferential treatment as you describe would help attract volunteers, but in my opinion not for the right reasons and the commitment that some of them have to the club would be questionable.
The Great Gordini

http://www.MagicCanada.ca
Jim Stan Magic Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago Area
238 Posts

Profile of Jim Stan Magic Man
I tried to attend a meeting a couple of years ago and only 2 people in the club actually took time to talk with me and one other magician who was there for the first time. One was someone I knew from another club I belonged to. I drove over an hour to get there and they were very cold towards new people. I will not be making another trip to that particular group.

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Is this right? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL