The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Diamond silks origination (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
First time I seen diamond silks applied to an effect was in a Jay Scott Berry Lecture. Where did the diamond silk cut originate from, who gets this credit. Will love to see how many credotors come out of this one? P.S. where is Jay scott berry now? creative fellow!
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1440 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I seem to recall diamond cut silks being written about and used in Jean Hugard's books. circa 1940
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
General Grant has been using homemade diamond silks for a long time.
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Diamond cut silks are hardly a new invention. They have evolved over time to enjoy some major improvements.

In my silk import company (DoveLite Silk), the diamond cuts we import today are not much like the ones we did even four years ago.

At first they were cut from streamers and the "center corners" were not even across from each other. The edges were two different sizes. However the sides across from each other were equal.

Then we made diamond silks that looked more like kites. The sides at each end point were the same but there was a long end and a short end. This time the "center corners" were across from each other but not midway between the ends.

Today we accept the fact that cutting good diamond cut silks means a lot of wasted material but:

1. All 4 edges are the same size! It is actually diamond shaped.

2. The "center corners" are both across from each other and In the Center!

3. The cut is done so that the silk hangs like silk instead of a bath mat!

(The others go into a category silk importers call 75 cent silk.)

Please! Please! Please! Learn something else here that will save you money even on good true diamond cut silks.

All silks are measured by the hemmed edge and not diagonally or by appearance. At the top of this topic is a chart to help you.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=54&13

I still have retailers (even some we supply) that mislabel diamond silk sizes. The differences can be 4x the size and price.

There is no such thing as a 36" diamond cut silk! The cloth it would have to be cut from would have to be 51" wide. And that cloth is not available.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
SilkMagic@DoveLite.com
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
I knew Bob would know!
Mister Mystery
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
1940, Jean Hugard,, I will go with that one for the early times, So who do we think brought it back to life as far as sharing it with the magic community. And Bob thanks for the sizing references.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Diamond silks origination (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL