The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Wallets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bhayankaran
View Profile
Regular user
India
146 Posts

Profile of bhayankaran
I have been using the search function here to get a brief understanding on what the different wallets are available and what each of them can do. The amount of posts are just over whelming and I am completely lost (Himber wallet,Mullica wallet,Fire wallet,real mans wallet....!!!!!). I havent used a wallet till now other than for carrying money and credit/business cards.
Can somebody help me explaining what the different types of wallets are and what kind of effect each of them help achieve?
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
If you type the name of each one into google i.e. "himber wallet" you get descriptions, reviews, videos and places you can buy each one.
bhayankaran
View Profile
Regular user
India
146 Posts

Profile of bhayankaran
Yes I am doing that. I also want to get some inputs from on what kind of wallet to start with, what kind of effects with wallets to look into...etc.
Anyway thanks for your point.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Fire wallets are a lot of fun, but not very magical.

Two kind of people get them:
People that have seen one being used and want one at any cost. Never mind that they may burn their house down. This wallet will be used as an "in your face" gag and for its shock value.

Magicians also buy them, but not (for the most part) for shows. They will tend to be a little more magical with them and probably start fewer house and rug fires.

In a show, the fire wallet will fill about 1 minute of time, not worth calling it a magic prop, but perhaps a gimmick.

ON THE OTHER HAND>
Every few years I get a new one to see if they are less "gimmicky" looking and if they can live longer from prep time to flame time. Since a magician is more apt to connect a story of some kind with taking his or her wallet out, it is great fun. It also could be a nice introduction into some magic.

The one I use now is from Magic Warehouse and I think it is the one that Viking makes and sells by Jerry Palmer. When I take it out and open it up to pay a bill or to get my card to give to someone, it looks very normal. Seconds later it can be a wallet with lots of flames coming out of it, when closed ( a second or two later, it can be opened again as a normal looking wallet, it is not examinable (but is if you hold it.)

It is very thin (for a fire wallet) and I can use it often for the better part of the day. I keep money and cards in it and find it very functional. Here is where I got it at a good price and (as always) with good service:
http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/fin......ord=FIRE WALLET

Bob
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
I think a great wallet to start with is the himber wallet. This was the first wallet I started using and I think it has a ton of material that can be done with it. Of course primarily used for switching.. it's uses are pretty much unlimited and you will find a lot fo stuff out there to use with it.

Eddy
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
CAPTAIN BEYOND
View Profile
New user
Beloit,Wisconsin
60 Posts

Profile of CAPTAIN BEYOND
Have you ever heard of the ECLIPSE WALLET?I bought one on ebay about two years ago and I didn't do anything with it until I was going through my magic stuff a couple of months ago.Its actually pretty cool.There is a hole in the middle of it so you can visibly put a card or business card in it and change it into another card.I think that there is a large version and smaller version of this wallet.
wingz
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of wingz
Before you decided of what wallet you going to buy, you should first decide what kind of tricks or effects you are going to perform. Wallet is just a prop to deliver certain effect in a certain way.

Pick your tricks and then determine if the wallet can add value to your effects.

For example if you perform a ACR and the final effect is the card will show up inside the wallet. In this case the Mullica wallet is a good choice. In another example, if your effect is to burn the select card and later find it in your wallet, the fire wallet will add value to the effect since it may symbolize after the fire is extinglished, the card "restored" inside the wallet. However, using a fire wallet in the ACR example above does not add any value. The effect will still achieved but the fire will confused the audience rather than adding value to the effect.
bhayankaran
View Profile
Regular user
India
146 Posts

Profile of bhayankaran
Thanks all,
I like the Mullica wallet (hip pocket) and am thinking of buying one.
Other than ACR what kinds of effects can it be used with.
I also read about Extractor. Does that utility device help achieve what a Mullica wallet can?

Looks like Pimpernel Notecase is also something worth looking into.
DATMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Shreveport, La
304 Posts

Profile of DATMagic
Harry Lorayne wrote a book on the Himber Wallet, it's full of great ideas!
David A Trombetta

DAT does the Trick
DATdoestheTrick.com

Smile
email [email]DATMagic@aol.com[/email]
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Cayman just gave you the best answer to your questions. Easy to remember - if you can find a copy - it's THE HIMBER WALLET BOOK. HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Forgive me, I don't mean to be, or sound, egotistical, but I'm curious - how can you be interested in Himber Wallet (or any version of same) effects, and not know about, done research for, etc., my The Himber Wallet Book. Just curious. HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
bhayankaran
View Profile
Regular user
India
146 Posts

Profile of bhayankaran
Harry, I never said I am interested in any particular type of wallet. I am just exploring what are the different wallets available and what each does.
I am still in the research mode, hope that answers your question.
Pimpernel Notecase and hip pocket Mullica are two types which appeal to me, their size being smaller as one reason.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Fire Wallet is very flashing and eye pooping.I don't think is VERY magical,but are fun and nice. The problem is in this days regulations with fire, if you fire up a wallet in the wrong place it would cost your job.
My best,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Dollar for dollar the Card to Wallet from Royal is hard to beat...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
TheMagicMaker
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of TheMagicMaker
To try and answer you original question about the differences of types of wallets is a very difficult one since there are so many different kinds of wallets available in the magic world. Ultimately wallets fall into only a few categories. You have wallets used for mentalism or predictions, wallets for doing and assisting with card tricks, and then your more well known and more popular fire wallets. For the most part, these are the categories. First you have to decide what kind of magic you want to achieve with a wallet. Do you want to show people your great prediction skills, are you a nut for card magic and want to incorporate a wallet into your card routine? Or do you want to have a wallet that will catch fire and make people look at you with amazement an awe? Personally, I don't do mentalism, I pretty much don't care for card magic, and therefore I would say I am partial to a fire wallet over any other type. For me, it is sort of a signature trick that people will talk about and tell their friends about. I just purchased one of the newest and most amazing fire wallets from Peter Austin called "Fusion of Fire 21st Century Fire Wallet." It is by far not only the best fire wallet I have ever seen, and I've seen them all, but it has a twist that no other fire wallet has, where after you catch your wallet on fire, you can take out an ordinary looking credit card, and it too bursts into huge flame right at your fingertips. Every magician is different and therefore you have to first decide what kind of magic you want to do and then select the wallet that is made for that venue. Hope this helps...
bhayankaran
View Profile
Regular user
India
146 Posts

Profile of bhayankaran
MagicMaker, I am looking for a wallet to do the card to wallet effect.
I will look at Card to wallet from Royal. Thanks mandarin
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Here is a link, bhayankaran-

http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/

$26.95 US

Really well made, I carry it as my everyday wallet...
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Some great wallets in the for sale area...
bhayankaran
View Profile
Regular user
India
146 Posts

Profile of bhayankaran
Narrowed upon 3 wallets back pocket type.

Will buy one of these

Royal card to wallet
Pimpernel Notecase
Hip pocket Mullica

Am I correct saying royal card to wallet requires palming and the other two don't ?
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Quote:
On 2010-02-01 08:40, mandarin wrote:
Here is a link, bhayankaran-

http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/

$26.95 US

Really well made, I carry it as my everyday wallet...

I am thinking on buying of of these... mostly because I need a new wallet though lol. The effect side will be a bonus!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Wallets (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL