The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Brown Paper Project review? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Does anyone have Jon Stetson's Brown Paper Project?
If so, would you offer a review, especially of the bonus reader's DVD?

Thanks
-Courtney
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Huh. It looked pretty cool to me. Does this mean that no one has it?
Well, maybe I'll get it in a few weeks and post my own review.

-Courtney
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
aukt
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of aukt
I have it, and I can see why those who have it would prefer not to recommend it to others.

There's a reason jon is one of the most successful mentalists in the world.

It's on this DVD.
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of VIEW
Best $200 I've spent in years.
aukt
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of aukt
The bit about business cards and how to design them and what a professional high end needs to had on yere has changed the way I present myself fundamental, and it's registering with
my clients already.
brehan
View Profile
Special user
holland
656 Posts

Profile of brehan
Is anyone willing to sell this dvd to me?
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1642 Posts

Profile of The Duster
If this is the same thing - it seems it is awful

Here is the thread: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......&start=0

And here is a review from that thread [though many ppl are saying it's bad]

Well this set was a major let down. Poorly produced, conversations go completely off-topic and there is little real information given out. Bottom line - any useful information that you would get from this set, you can get from Richard Osterlind's Business of Magic. Save your money and buy Mystique. You'll get all the good business information and lots of great routines.

I'm still trying to figure out why he did these DVDs. He doesn't bring anything new to the table (the wobbly table) and in fact quotes a lot of other sources. You may like these DVDs if you like Joel Bauer. He quotes Bauer quite often.

Jon stresses quality. Wear quality suits, have quality promotional material, wear an expensive watch, etc. However he doesn't live that quality in this set. He talks about performing conditions and how, if they're not right, he will insist on changing the set up of the room if necessary (haven't we read that before?). Yet the shooting conditions for this DVD set were just bad. Shot in a hotel room, no one thought about turning off the air conditioner which turns on every few minutes - and it's noisy. The table they're sitting out wobbles. It wobbles a lot. It wobbles so much that I found myself yelling at the screen telling them to fix the *** table.

Loren Tindell couldn't keep Stetson on topic. He wanders, gets off topic and the point is missed. 15 minutes later you're wondering what they started out talking about. Does anyone call Richard Osterlind "Richy"? Stetson does. A lot. Maybe that's just nit-picking. But the DVDs are filled with little annoyances like that.

There is a "philosophy" for lack of a better term discussed at the beginning of these. That is this - success means different things to different people. I agree with this 100%. Stetson's idea of success may not be your idea of success. Guys like Stetson, Osterlind, Banachek, Conover, etc. work at a different level than most of us. Their fees and stakes are higher and they are under much more pressure to deliver an unbelievable show than maybe we are on a local or region level. If working at the top corporate level is what you're interested in, then read about it from Osterlind. That's most of what these DVDs are about.

This excerpt from the ad:
Quote:

Naturally, no discusson of marketing would be complete without covering the basic sales kit that every performer needs -- the business card, promotional brochures, sales and supplementary materials that you use to present yourself to prospective clients in the best possible way.

There is discussion about it, but you're not going to see ANY examples. Lot's of discussion on business cards, but you're not going to see Jon's current card. You're not going to see his old cards either. It's obvious he's a bit concerned over people stealing his promotional material. Understandable! But if you're worried about it then why do a DVD set and not give examples?

Stetson starts to talk about website design & marketing and it's obvious he's in over his head, is saying things just to say them and is clueless. His website is awful and breaks many of the rules he talks about.

I REALLY wanted to like these DVDs, but after 4 hours of viewing I'm left with more questions than answers.
brehan
View Profile
Special user
holland
656 Posts

Profile of brehan
If sombody has it iam willing to buy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Brown Paper Project review? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL