The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How soon before an iPad booktest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1442 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
If you saw Apple's presentation of the iPad today, this one is a no-brainer. Spec opens any of your e-books sitting on the shelf, flips to any page, mentally selects a word. You reveal it.
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1415 Posts

Profile of MDantes
http://www.apple.com/ipad/

wonder if Ted will come out with a MOAB for this ;-)
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
How soon??

I think on march they start shipping the first iPads so.. pretty soon
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
When will Apple make an iPad the size of a table? Skrew 4 legs under it, and there you have the iTable. What can you do with that?
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1415 Posts

Profile of MDantes
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Quote:
On 2010-01-28 02:08, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
If you saw Apple's presentation of the iPad today, this one is a no-brainer. Spec opens any of your e-books sitting on the shelf, flips to any page, mentally selects a word. You reveal it.

Yes, and when you do it everyone in the audience will shout -- with one voice -- iPAD!! The guy in the other room who is holding nothing in his hands but a copy of "Murder At Midnight" will toss the book to an audience member, tell whoever catches it to open to any page, think of a word -- a long one just to make it difficult -- then furrow his brow and after a moment tell them what word their thinking of -- and get a standing ovation. Which performer would you rather be?
Dick Christian
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1522 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
This is a great idea Mindbender. Anyone here an app developer?
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1442 Posts

Well obviously, I'd like to be the guy getting the standing "O", but do I have to have a furrowed brow? I'm aging too fast as is!

I love technology -- but I agree Dick, not so much in my mentalism (at least visibly).
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Right after the kotex box test...

:P
xxx
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Already been done.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=274&9

Familliarity with "readers" is growing. The wise mentalist will embrace such progress. While it is still early for such things, the day is quickly approaching.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4474 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
It is going to become increasingly important for the performing mentalist to prove that they are NOT using any technological devices to accomplish their feats.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Philemon is absolutely correct. Will the audience perceive that what they are watching is mentalism or a demonstration of the latest and greatest apps?

Good thoughts,

Bob
r1z08
View Profile
Inner circle
1157 Posts

Profile of r1z08
I agree as well. It does not matter how cool the latest iPhone/iPad application may be, the fact of the matter is that it is still a high-tech piece of equipment to which most people do not know the limitations. For all they (participants) know, it can have voice recognition or the little camera is watching.

If an e-book test was performed side-by-side with a real book test, I bet dollars to doughnuts that the real book test reactions will be greater. Anyone want to test this out?

-rob
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Leave the iphone/ipod/ipad magic to the ikids.

Magicians go nuts over this stuff - but I think its just out of novelty Tchochke interest.

Anytime something "tech" is in play, laypeople automatically think "oh its some program or computer thingy".

Even the switchboard with the colored light bulbs that magicians swoon over is perceived as less magic and more techish.

The goal is to take away the possible "reasons" and leave them baffled. The IPad is a reason.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1131 Posts

Profile of Chris
I think it depends on the setting. Would in a stage setting a regular book test play better than an iPad/iPhone book test? Most certainly! But if you are in an intimate setting with a friend or a couple of clients or any other small group of people and you do for example Alan Rorrison's ebook test (which I further improved http://www.lybrary.com/dracula-ebook-test-p-48538.html ) then you can knock them dead.

In such a setting it would in most cases be awkward to pull out a book to do a book test. Imagine you are sitting in a restaurant or you are waiting at the plattform for a train. The ebook test plays perfectly whereas a classic book test would look really strange. So if you want, this is the street magic version of the book test.

BTW, Alan and myself are working on further extensions and features to the Dracula Ebook test. Stay tuned. Everybody who purchases this at the Lybrary will automatically get any updates for free.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
The more technology becomes available and takes over the every day paper and pen or physical book - the more of an impact the old methods will have.

The last thing you want to do is use any technology. I think these trends could strenghten the traditional presentations.
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
Maybe the new aged Outlaw Ipad?

I am sure they will come out with something, but I believe somethings are fine just they way they are. No matter how great the effect is, it will always be explained using the technology.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Certainly what Chris has said is true and in that context (i.e., a one on one demonstration or for a small group of friends, etc.) such an e-Book test could be effective -- although the very fact that it uses an iPhone or iPad IMO immediately suggests the method even though the observer may not be able to find/identify the particular app. However, it seems to me that that is a situation in which a working mentalist is ever likely to find himself. For example, most of my friends know that I am a magician and a mentalist; however, while some of them have hired me to perform at parties, etc., it would never occur to them to ask me to "do something" during our normal social interaction and more than it would occur to me to ask a friend who is a dentist to examine my teeth if I ran into him at a dinner party or in the supermarket.

At the same time, I recognize things might a bit different if I were a newbie or hobbyist whose only "audience" is friends and family.
Dick Christian
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1442 Posts

Here's my goal -- I want the spectator to say "I thought of a word, and this guy read my mind!"

A book, an iPad, a back of a cereal box, a scrap of paper of the ground, a toattoo -- what I use to get there doesn't matter as long as I ultimately end up with the spectator saying the above.

The object becomes invisible, the result becomes the memory.

That's my goal.
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-01-28 03:49, MDantes wrote:
It is coming

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/

He said iTable. Surface = M$ Crap Table
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How soon before an iPad booktest (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL