The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How soon before an iPad booktest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Boy Tom, you are really looking forward to all printed matter being gone. Unfortunately for you, it's going to be a long time.

Newspapers are still around. Is it a thriving industry? Hardly, but if you consider the web has been popular for the past 15 years, 15 years later there are still quite a few newspapers around. What is fading is the idea of subscribing to them. There are still many thriving independent newspapers around that don't require a subscription. But you have to look at the purpose of the newspaper to understand why it's going away. By the time you get your paper in the morning, you already know what's going on. You're reading old news.

Books aren't like that and while I have no doubt some time in the future the publishing industry will drastically change, it will not be in the next few years. It will not be in the next decade. There are still too many people around that will be buying books and borrowing books from libraries.

By the time books are banished and we're all reading on digital paper, that ipad or kindle will be replaced by many other devices along the way.

Where I am a Border's store just expanded, taking over the retail store next to it. I was in Barnes & Noble yesterday and the store was very crowded and too many new titles to get a chance to look at. A major book national book distributor located in my city just expanded their warehouse space and are hiring new people to keep up with the demand. Hardly a sign of a dying industry.

15 years ago the mega bookstores were taking over the independent ones. I saw that first hand having been involved in both an independent store and a mega store. Borders & Barnes & Noble new they needed to adapt the the changing market and become destinations, which they did and continue to improve upon.

Now Tom, you may find this next statement hard to believe, but vinyl hasn't gone away. In fact in most major cities you will find record stores - stores dedicated to just selling vinyl. New release STILL come out in vinyl. Who's vinyl's largest demographic? The under 30 consumer who are buying vintage and new releases. There are more turn-tables out on the market than ever before.

Printed material will no doubt go away. But it's doubtful it will happen in our lifetime. Markets will change. One format will expand while another shrinks. Books are going to be around for many, many years. So will newspapers and vinyl records. The problem with the attitudes in this discussion is you have people who feel it has to be one way or the other. You're both wrong. The new and the old will be living together side-by-side for a long time.

Do I think a book test on an ipad is a bad idea? Hey, it's just another way of doing mind reading. It's not good or bad, but like everything else in mentalism, will succeed of fail based on the performer. MOAB is garbage if you can't perform it. It's another tool in your arsenal for the appropriate time and place.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5853 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Not looking forward to it, just being realistic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How soon before an iPad booktest (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL