The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Something new (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-01-30 13:40, magiclee wrote:
Richard I just downloaded Magic Marvel #5 and I am confused about the operation.

Can you PM me on the proper steps to do to work out magic Marvel 5

Thank you,
magiclee


Its actually quite simple. When it starts up, tap through the first screen until you get to the "START" button, and then you click the small "i" in the top right corner. Then you can scroll to read thorough instructions. Nice, clean effect. Another spectator thought at first I was pressing different sections until I once again asked how I could memorize (or find) 52 different sections for both the card AND the number.. That normally stumps them.

The flipping effect is also very nice if you slide from the back of the card to the face pile as described in the instructions, it really does look like they are flipping through cards. Smile
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
This may seem a little odd, but imho, I have a generic fear of bringing electronics into mentalism (I don't mean covertly, I mean obviously).

My instant reaction to this would be "how did you make the phone do that?" Not "how did that happen"

Clever app, but by its very nature, people will suspect bluetooth, IR, downloads...

Absolutely no disrespect to any of the people on this thread, but if you're carrying a deck of cards with you - just do ACAAN. Why introduce a peice of electronics?

To me, it's just bringing in another variable which is avoidable.

Just my opinion.
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-01-30 14:50, Withnail wrote:
This may seem a little odd, but imho, I have a generic fear of bringing electronics into mentalism (I don't mean covertly, I mean obviously).

My instant reaction to this would be "how did you make the phone do that?" Not "how did that happen"

Clever app, but by its very nature, people will suspect bluetooth, IR, downloads...

Absolutely no disrespect to any of the people on this thread, but if you're carrying a deck of cards with you - just do ACAAN. Why introduce a peice of electronics?

To me, it's just bringing in another variable which is avoidable.

Just my opinion.


Because a card ACAAN can rarely be just as clean as electronically.
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
People probably WILL presume some kind of fishyness with the electronics, but then if you produce a pack of cards from your pocket they might suspect that the cards are in some way set up, marked or whatever to your sneaky advantage (and they might be correct).

I downloaded the app, and I don't see anything unclear in the instructions, it plays as they describe as far as I've been able to tell. I don't think it will turn you into instant Osterlind, but presumably it's meant more as a bit of a teaser than a heavy-hitting mental effect, and I can see there being times when it would be nice to have something like this to hand. It's only £1.79 here in the UK, and it seems like a nice little app to me.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
As I pointed out earlier, I also tend to dislike "modern technology" mentalism. The idea behind this (and I looked upon devising it as more of a challenge as to how to use an app to really create a bit of mystery) is to actually make it appear, at first, to be some kind of clever little electronic application. But then, because of the nature of the effect, to suddenly have it be a bit more. No, I don't think it's going to compare to a major mentalism effect in a stage show, but it can be a lot of fun that somehow seems to go beyond what the IPhone is inherently capable of.

Then, as I pointed out with the routines I suggested, you can use it in such a way as to create an effect where the phone seems to be secondary.

Richard
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
It would be a nice effect if someone asks you what you like to do, and you say that you like to do magic. "Can I see something"... etc. there's your lead. Smile
Mentalism
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Mentalism
I just want to know if the effect also works with another mobile? I use a Palm Pre.

Is it possible to show ACAAN with this mobile or only with an IPhone?

Thanks

Markus
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-01-31 14:07, Mentalism wrote:
I just want to know if the effect also works with another mobile? I use a Palm Pre.

Is it possible to show ACAAN with this mobile or only with an IPhone?

Thanks

Markus


It won't work for the Palm Pre (the creator, webgames3d.com or something like that specializes only in iPhone applications).
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Quote:
On 2010-01-30 14:57, magicFreak2 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-30 14:50, Withnail wrote:
This may seem a little odd, but imho, I have a generic fear of bringing electronics into mentalism (I don't mean covertly, I mean obviously).

My instant reaction to this would be "how did you make the phone do that?" Not "how did that happen"

Clever app, but by its very nature, people will suspect bluetooth, IR, downloads...

Absolutely no disrespect to any of the people on this thread, but if you're carrying a deck of cards with you - just do ACAAN. Why introduce a peice of electronics?

To me, it's just bringing in another variable which is avoidable.

Just my opinion.


Because a card ACAAN can rarely be just as clean as electronically.


magicFreak2,

Pardon me for saying so, but I find your assertion to be absolutely incredible. The minute you pull out an iPhone, iPad or any similar device anyone who is not a complete idiot knows that you are about to show them some fancy electronic stunt. The fact that they may not know precisely how the app works or where they can find it to download it so they can to the same thing themself is immaterial. The simple fact is that you have effectively told them how the trick was done. To even begin to compare that with taking out a deck of cards, which you can allow someone to examine, have them name a card and a number -- or depending on which method you are using -- find that card at that number boggles not only boggles the mind, but belies a naivete and superficial appreciation of the concept of ACAAN that I find surprising, even coming from you.
Dick Christian
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-01-31 16:48, Dick Christian wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-30 14:57, magicFreak2 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-30 14:50, Withnail wrote:
This may seem a little odd, but imho, I have a generic fear of bringing electronics into mentalism (I don't mean covertly, I mean obviously).

My instant reaction to this would be "how did you make the phone do that?" Not "how did that happen"

Clever app, but by its very nature, people will suspect bluetooth, IR, downloads...

Absolutely no disrespect to any of the people on this thread, but if you're carrying a deck of cards with you - just do ACAAN. Why introduce a peice of electronics?

To me, it's just bringing in another variable which is avoidable.

Just my opinion.


Because a card ACAAN can rarely be just as clean as electronically.


magicFreak2,

Pardon me for saying so, but I find your assertion to be absolutely incredible. The minute you pull out an iPhone, iPad or any similar device anyone who is not a complete idiot knows that you are about to show them some fancy electronic stunt. The fact that they may not know precisely how the app works or where they can find it to download it so they can to the same thing themself is immaterial. The simple fact is that you have effectively told them how the trick was done. To even begin to compare that with taking out a deck of cards, which you can allow someone to examine, have them name a card and a number -- or depending on which method you are using -- find that card at that number boggles not only boggles the mind, but belies a naivete and superficial appreciation of the concept of ACAAN that I find surprising, even coming from you.


I sincerely apologize, I was not referring to the effect on a spectator, I was referring to the visual aspect (pretending that the virtual deck was a real deck).

My point was that you could do something on an iPhone that you couldn't do in real life, unless you are David Berglas. Otherwise, your ACAAN will always have something messed up with it. Something inconsistent. I've looked into many different varieties, but all of them were seriously lacking in one respect or another.

An application, on the other hand, can rearrange the cards etc perfectly in a fraction of a second in plain view.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
"My point was that you could do something on an iPhone that you couldn't do in real life" -- which is exactly the problem and what makes it obvious that it is the iPhone, not you, that is doing it . . . ergo the spectator's response is "so what -- if I had an iPhone with that app I could do the same thing." You are now no longer a magician, a mentalist or even a performer or entertainer -- you're just a guy with an iPhone. Big whoop.
Dick Christian
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-01-31 17:20, Dick Christian wrote:
"My point was that you could do something on an iPhone that you couldn't do in real life" -- which is exactly the problem and what makes it obvious that it is the iPhone, not you, that is doing it . . . ergo the spectator's response is "so what -- if I had an iPhone with that app I could do the same thing." You are now no longer a magician, a mentalist or even a performer or entertainer -- you're just a guy with an iPhone. Big whoop.


Again, I was not referring to the effect on the spectator, I was referring to the _mechanics_. I apologize if I have offended you in anyway, I just felt that I should always explain my own opinions fully.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Dick,

As much as I am a traditionalist, I still try to keep an open mind about these matters.

To condemn all magic done with an IPhone may not be totally justified. It all depends on what you do and how you do it.

On one of my videos I did an effect where I read the mind of someone who was talking to someone else on their cellphone. Now a cellphone is certainly a modern marvel, but that didn't mean the effect was automatically transferred to the apparatus.

The fact is that in ACAAN, it IS the magician or mentalist who DOES it and not the phone! It is because it requires a degree of skill to pull off that takes it a bit higher on the ladder.

See, Dick, I STARTED with the argument you are making and tried to rise it up from there by doing something that seems impossible even WITH what an IPhone can do. You touch the screen to open the app and touch it again to start. That's it. To think that all that information could be somehow inputed into the unit seems impossible to even non-idiots.

Richard
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
A cell phone is percieved as a cell phone. Something you communicate with. an Iphone app is percieved as a computer. There are dozens of incredible apps out there that can turn the iphone into working flute amoungst many other things.

Even with the additional skill some will believe it is just a clever app.

At least I would think that way. Of course I would like to see a video of it being performed with real people and not a setup audience. And perhaps I would admit I am totally wrong.

My gut feeling is that as more and more technology is used in just about everything we do the more of an impact our simple methods will be. Because they will stand out as being simple and technology free.
baggins321
View Profile
Loyal user
United States
221 Posts

Profile of baggins321
The android app market is picking up steam but so far there are no magic apps that I've seen. Any chance you can make this app android friendly?
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-01-31 19:51, baggins321 wrote:
The android app market is picking up steam but so far there are no magic apps that I've seen. Any chance you can make this app android friendly?


It probably has something to do with the fact that there are probably less than 2 dozen magic apps for the iPhone, and that there are over 10 times the # of apps for the iPhone as for the Android.

Appstores are all the craze now.. Actually that's my market. Within 18 months things will have settled down a bit (regarding apps).
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
John LeBlanc has a wonderful article in this month's Magic Menu about debates on Internet forums.

For me, I am content to let people get this app and try it out for their audiences and THEN report back as to how it plays. Smile

Richard
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Quote:
On 2010-01-31 18:12, Richard Osterlind wrote:
Dick,

As much as I am a traditionalist, I still try to keep an open mind about these matters.

To condemn all magic done with an IPhone may not be totally justified. It all depends on what you do and how you do it.

On one of my videos I did an effect where I read the mind of someone who was talking to someone else on their cellphone. Now a cellphone is certainly a modern marvel, but that didn't mean the effect was automatically transferred to the apparatus.

The fact is that in ACAAN, it IS the magician or mentalist who DOES it and not the phone! It is because it requires a degree of skill to pull off that takes it a bit higher on the ladder.

See, Dick, I STARTED with the argument you are making and tried to rise it up from there by doing something that seems impossible even WITH what an IPhone can do. You touch the screen to open the app and touch it again to start. That's it. To think that all that information could be somehow inputed into the unit seems impossible to even non-idiots.

Richard


Richard et al,

Not saying it wouldn't be clever, maybe even baffling. Nevertheless, it still seems to me that thinking that a device getting the credit -- even if the performer never touches it -- is cleaner, more magical or less suspect than using a normal deck of cards with the performer getting the credit is a bit of a stretch.

In either case, while I personally use a deck of cards in my mindreading show (but never handle them -- an audience member takes them out of the box and shuffles them the deck is placed facedown in a brown paper "lunch bag" an audience member passes the bag around so others can reach in and take cards, look at them and place them in their pockets and I then reveal the cards each audience member is holding) ACAAN strikes me as a more of a "card trick" than mentalism. Even naming the card that appears at a position (number) called out by a spectator seems more like a demonstration of incredible memory than a demonstration of mindreading, while having someone cut the cards (repeatedly if they like), then take the card cut to and complete the cut only to have the performer name the card they're holding looks like mindreading.

Just my $0.02 but we can certainly agree to disagree.
Dick Christian
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
To make a straight point, it's cleaner but less magical. Everyone happy now?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
It would be a sad day on the Café if everyone was happy....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Something new (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL