The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Something new (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
When I was at the shoot for 13 Steps we got talking about Magic apps for the IPhone. It seemed to me that a big part of making an app look really amazing is to get away from the apparent electronics of the phone. Tom Cutts and I worked something out!

I know "Any Card at Any Number" has always intrigued both card magicians and mentalists. The bottom line is an app that looks as clean as can be! Someone names a card, another a number. You open the app and a face down deck of cards appears. You hand the phone to the spectator and let THEM deal off the cards while counting. (There is a digital counter on the screen, too!) Their card appears at their number! All the cards are always different and you can do it with any number from 1 to 52. I think it is very clever.

It's here.

http://appshopper.com/entertainment/magic-marvels-5

Richard
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Hi Richard. I just bought this and downloaded it but I can not find any instructions; can you tell me where to find them? Cheers.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
aukt
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of aukt
First impression is that I don't like the aesthetic, and it seems to run slow, but I'll try it out and see how it fly's on people. Smile
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Quote:
On 2010-01-28 20:29, willowtaylor wrote:
Hi Richard. I just bought this and downloaded it but I can not find any instructions; can you tell me where to find them? Cheers.

Christopher

When you see the START screen, Tap the 'i' on the top right, This will get you into the instructions. you can then scroll down with your finger to read further.

e
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Thanks Eric!
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
Very cool Richard! I don't do a lot of off the cuff or closeup material, but seeing I always have my phone, cant hurt to have it ready to go. Thanks for this and the update about it.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
This sounds really cool! And the price is certainly right.

Makes me wish I owned an iphone.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

As most people who are family with my work know, I am not a great fan of modern technology in mentalism. I like the classic methods.

The problem with magic on the IPhone is obvious. People will just assume the phone does it all. When I approached the problem I wanted to come up with something that seems to go a bit further than just another "clever" idea.

I fully understand that when a person sees "Magic Marvels" that immediately sets them on the mindset of "IPhone magic." How could it be otherwise with a mechanical masterpiece like the IPhone? When you think about it, it's like seeing some beautiful prop on stage in a Copperfield show. Your first impulse is to say, "Let's see what this contraption can do." But then David usually does something that knocks your socks off that seems to be completely independent of the apparatus on stage.

That was the idea with this app. You call for a number and a card. Opening the app looks just like it should. But when you hand the phone to the spectator and let HIM deal down, the idea of the performer somehow "doing something" is negated. When the card turns up at the right number (in the person's hands!) that "jumps it" away from just gadgetry.

I think what happens next is the person starts to realize that there are 2 very big variables here. 52 cards and 52 numbers! How could all that information get into the phone right in front of their eyes and when they are holding it? And, of course, a repeat only drives in the point further.

The instructions are for working the basic effect. I don't think I need to mention that an accomplished magician would have a secret way of learning a card or number (or both!) and THEN doing the effect! That takes it really far beyond the technology of the phone.

But look, this is a new area in magic. That's why I would love to hear feedback about how it plays for you.

Richard
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-01-29 09:51, Richard Osterlind wrote:
As most people who are family with my work know, I am not a great fan of modern technology in mentalism. I like the classic methods.

The problem with magic on the IPhone is obvious. People will just assume the phone does it all. When I approached the problem I wanted to come up with something that seems to go a bit further than just another "clever" idea.

iForce does a very good job of fixing this problem!

Quote:
I fully understand that when a person sees "Magic Marvels" that immediately sets them on the mindset of "IPhone magic." How could it be otherwise with a mechanical masterpiece like the IPhone? When you think about it, it's like seeing some beautiful prop on stage in a Copperfield show. Your first impulse is to say, "Let's see what this contraption can do." But then David usually does something that knocks your socks off that seems to be completely independent of the apparatus on stage.

That was the idea with this app. You call for a number and a card. Opening the app looks just like it should. But when you hand the phone to the spectator and let HIM deal down, the idea of the performer somehow "doing something" is negated. When the card turns up at the right number (in the person's hands!) that "jumps it" away from just gadgetry.

I think what happens next is the person starts to realize that there are 2 very big variables here. 52 cards and 52 numbers! How could all that information get into the phone right in front of their eyes and when they are holding it? And, of course, a repeat only drives in the point further.

The instructions are for working the basic effect. I don't think I need to mention that an accomplished magician would have a secret way of learning a card or number (or both!) and THEN doing the effect! That takes it really far beyond the technology of the phone.

But look, this is a new area in magic. That's why I would love to hear feedback about how it plays for you.

Richard

Da**it, I just used up my iTunes gift card Smile
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Quote:
Da**it, I just used up my iTunes gift card Smile

magicFreak2,

Well, it is only $2.99. But look, I will post a routine here next.

Richard
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Here's the routine.

Long before you take out your IPhone, you bring out a deck. (BCS) You show the cards to be different, false shuffle and hand it over. You have them cut the deck and turn over the top card. You do this a few times showing each cut brings up a different card. Now you have them cut again and put the card into their pocket without looking at it. You case the deck and hand it to them.

Now you say, "You cut the deck many times. I wonder where the card in your pocket was before we shuffled and cut the cards?"

Have him name a number between 1 and 52 as a "guess."

Now you bring out the IPhone and open the app. Have him take the phone and count down to the number named. They see the card. Now they reach into their pocket and bring out the card they chose. Same card!

Remember, they will have the deck in their hands so you know they will take it out and check it over. There is nothing to find, but all heat is off the phone.

This is just one way you might think about using the app.

Or .... you could reverse the effect. Have them openly name a card. Have someone else secretly write down a number on a business card which you fold, put into a wallet, etc. Now you open the app and tell them to deal cards off until they see the card they named. The number on the bottom shows the position. Then you take out the business card and show the number the other spectator picked!

Richard
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Richard, you're giving away valuable effects and routines for free. What? You don't grok capitalism?

*jeep!
--Grandpa
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Well, technically you have to buy the app to perform the effect, so this would be capitalism at its finest.
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of VIEW
I think the effect needs a tutorial video. The explanation is very hard to follow for me.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

View,

Someone freely names a number from 1 to 52, another names any card. You open the app on the IPhone and there is a face-down deck of cards on the screen. You hand the phone to anyone who deals off the cards face-up (this happens by them simply swiping their finger over the deck) and the card that turns over at the chosen number is the very card named!

Richard
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of VIEW
I know richard, I've bought it, but I find the explanation quite unclear.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

PM's you.
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
I found a way to get it ( I always do xD ). Man this is slick. Smile ACAAN with the iPod. I like it and it fools. Fools bad. One person I did it for thought he had it figured out. He thought it was timed. xD 104 seconds.. wow, I'm pretty good then I said.

Great idea, works perfectly. Smile
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Magicfreak2,

So glad you went for it! I think it is pretty slick, too. Actually, them thinking is was timed is perfect. So you do it again and let them go as fast or slow as they want!

Richard
magiclee
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magiclee
Richard I just downloaded Magic Marvel #5 and I am confused about the operation.

Can you PM me on the proper steps to do to work out magic Marvel 5

Thank you,
magiclee
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Something new (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL