The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Traditional Cups vs PF et al (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I've never owned/used a set of Traditional Cups. What are the benefits of that style?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
I have a special fondness in my heart for Traditional cups. Mainly due to their history with the trick. I don't think there are really any benefits over modern rounded cups (probably a few cons actually). I think probably the only real benefit is the loads "look" bigger sitting on top of the cups since the cup is smaller near the top.

If I could exchange all of the cups in my collection for different traditional cups I would in a heart beat (seriously, PM me if you have a trade in mind).

-Todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Frank… I also lean more toward the side of traditionally shaped Cups for much of the same reasons as Todd. To me they look more mystical and like a magical curiosity that lends themselves to more of a story (that’s just me).

However my favorite PF style Cups are still the RNT2 Squatty 2, I like all the rings and they have turned a neat rose color as they have aged.

Thanks,
Bruce
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Man do I hate initials. PF style?
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Magicians... PF= Paul Fox... small rounded Cups.

Bruce
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I've never cared for them. My very first set of cups was a set of Charlie Miller cups from Magic Inc. Too me, they seem closer to the traditional tapered design than the rounded PF style. They feel clunky in my hands. My next set were Johnson's and from there, I've owned and used nothing cups done in the Paul Fox style. Risers and Sherwoods being my favorites. My collection has pretty much disappeared do to medical bills. The only set that remains is the set I use all the time. Copper smooth Sherwoods that came from Pete Biro. They handle like a dream.

In the end though, I think it's mainly a matter of personal taste.
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
I'm with Lint and Bruce on this. I much prefer the traditional cups. In fact, my favourite cups are my chrome-over-copper P&L cups (see attached picture). Can't exactly tell you why because the PF style is, in my view, much more practical and easier to work with. I think it's just an aesthetic thing....and a kind of linking up with an earlier time when these cups were the thing.

http://s759.photobucket.com/albums/xx238......31-1.jpg - P&L cups
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Paul Fox style.

I have a few sets of trads and though I like them I don't like to perform with them as much as I do with aroundedtop cup. Just personal pref really.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's all a matter of personal taste. However, it is a fact that a rounded top cup will take a larger load than a traditional cup with the same skirt length and the same mouth diameter. It's a matter of geometry. The size illusion is more of a by-product.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Ok. Thanks. I'm not concerned about size illusion. I think that if at the end of my routine (notice I said MY ROUTINE) they are focused on size comparisons I've not done my job at all. They should be laughing and freaking out at the hat load by the time their brain could even get that far.

I would care more about size illusion for a chop cup routine, perhaps.
Actually...probably not.

Thanks for your input.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
While the vast majority of my cups are rounded PF variants, I too have a thing for the look of the traditional cups. I own only one traditional set (Biro/Johnny Paul Cups) and really love the way they look.

In my limited experience with traditional cups I find that there are a few moves that are made much easiter with rounded or PF type cups.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The elevator move is somewhat easier with rounded top cups, although it will work with a Ross Bertram style cup if you practice with them enough. It is much more difficult with, say, a P&L cup.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I use traditional style cups because one of my main performance venues for presenting the trick is at Renaissance and Mediaeval faires. The Paul Fox style cups look too modern to use in these venues so I stick with the traditional shape cups.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Of course, they only look modern to magicians. A nice patina'd set of PF style coppers looks just as old fashioned to a layman as any other cups might.

I just like the lines on the traditionals.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2010-02-04 00:03, ASW wrote:
Of course, they only look modern to magicians. A nice patina'd set of PF style coppers looks just as old fashioned to a layman as any other cups might.

I just like the lines on the traditionals.

But I'd know the difference and that's all that matters. I'm the type of guy who carries period appropriate coins in my pockets while in garb even though no one knows there there but me.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
And fair enough. As good a reason as any!
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
What kind of balls did Johnny Paul use with his cups??? I have a set of Pete's JP cups and I love them. They're so classic looking.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Sponge balls...2" I believe.

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-02-04 13:21, DomKabala wrote:

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile

Perfect. Thanky Dom. Ive got a bunch of those. Do you know if his routine's ever been pubished; besides video??
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Traditional Cups vs PF et al (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL