The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magiclimber
View Profile
Veteran user
Boulder, Colorado
315 Posts

Profile of magiclimber
Travis,

I've learned a lot from the advice posted here, I definitely consider myself a student, not a teacher. Your routine was good, very solid.

I read most of the posts so I don't think anyone said this, so I'll add one more thing.

When vanishing a ball (or any small item) we as magicians shouldn't pick it up with one hand, transfer it to the other hand, and then put it back in the original hand to vanish. I know this is not new advice, but I think it is supported by Vernon's advice to "be natural" If we were actually going to vanish the ball we would pick it up with one hand and do it. Luckily for us we can pick it up with one hand and naturally need to place it in the other for some reason.

Just something to think about.

I enjoyed your routine!
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
I think magiclimer makes a very good point.
You must be premeditated in which hand you will pick up ANY object with if you are going to vanish it. For myself, I spend a lot of time working out and memorizing a sequence of hand movements based entirely upon which vanish I will use or to cover a sleight.
It must look natural, even if it initially feels unnatural, to pick up the cup with the left hand for example, so your right hand is free to pick up the ball. Minimize the effort, minimize the hand motion & move both hands simultaneously when you can to maximize the natural flow of the thing.
For a terrific lesson in moving both hands simultaneously you must refer to Tommy Wonder's instructional DVDs from L&L and his Books of Wonder. Additionally, Gary Ouellet's "Two Goblets" routine has great simultaneous hand movements built into it that I have learned so much from. It is my favorite seated Combo Set routine.

And Travis, once you've done this routine for real people a bunch of times, you are going to be so happy you took the time to learn it. All you need is audience time to really get in a groove. Keep up the good work.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Just a couple of things to add to the above, maybe...

It's possible to motivate a hand-to-hand transfer prior to the vanish. Say you want to FT right to left. Pick up the ball with the left hand (or pop the ball off the top of the cup into that hand, whatever) and display it with a slight pause to the people on that side of the audience. Pass it over to the other side to display it in that direction, again with a slight pause. Now act as though it's time to do the vanish, and do the FT in the process of picking up the wand.

Speaking of which, it'll help if you're using the wand to set up those transfers. The ideal scenario most of the time is to just end up in a position where you have the ball in the right hand with the wand on the right side, because now you've got a reason to pass it over to the other hand. There's arguably no end of natural ways to end up in that situation, but even at its simplest, you can probably just set the wand down right after a vanish wherever it'll be to your advantage, since I'm willing to bet that immediately after a vanish people's attention isn't on where you as the magician will need it to motivate a sleight in the future. I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing it artlessly, but you probably could and still get away with it.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
THanks everybody for you posts, just from reading this I have learned much.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls Routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL