The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Japanese Cups & Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Been digging into some obscure c&b routines lately. I always enjoyed the cups used in the asian versions of the routines (more like bowls). I picked these up at Cost Plus.

-Todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Todd, the use of the Phoenix balls is brilliant with the cups! I tried something like this and then swore... then swore to never use porcelain with cups and balls. Smile

I hope you post a video of this....

-Lee
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Great looking bowls Todd, they really suit the tayade style balls.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Are you learning the bowl routine ala Takagi? You should also study the Rezvani bowl routine (detailed in my book "BOWLing with the Stars." (see at http://www.petebiro.com ) Also the short clip of my handling on the Rezvani Vanish.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
Quote:
On 2010-01-30 03:24, Pete Biro wrote:
Are you learning the bowl routine ala Takagi? You should also study the Rezvani bowl routine (detailed in my book "BOWLing with the Stars." (see at http://www.petebiro.com ) Also the short clip of my handling on the Rezvani Vanish.

Thanks for posting the clip of your handling of the Rezvani vanish. It looks great. I just worked a while on the move using one of the silver and blackened Indian cups I aquired from you. My vanish is already looking okay and will look better with more time at it. I'll have to pull out my copy of the Rezvani routine and have a re-look. Thanks again Pete for all your contributions here and in Magic. I really appreciate how much you share.

Mitch
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Pete! Just watched the video, it fooled me completely, what a lovely vanish! I had to watch it a second time to catch that. I love being fooled, thanks!

Bri
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Those are actually "chawan," rice bowls (I eat rice out of similar ones every night), and you'll have to be somewhat careful with them as they chip and break easily -- depending on the quality of the make. Even with good ones, they chip and break.

I would have gone with the wooden miso-soup bowls which are approximately the same size and style, but can take a lot more of a beating.

Still, I like the setup. Very nice.

Bill
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Thanks everyone for your input.

These bowl ARE fragile. I will be getting an appropriate gentle wand to use with them. Perhaps a slender stalk of bamboo or one of those drumsticks made for soft drumming? They are like a coil of small bound dowels. Thank you for the suggestion on the wooden bowls Bill.

Pete, I do have "Les Coussinets De La Princess" by Rezvani, but have not gone through it yet. Your variation on his vanish looks great!

-todd
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
How about some balsa fashioned like a boken (wooden sword used in Kendo practice) and stained. That is if you're into making your own. If not, a nice "wand" might be a nice-looking chopstick. There are even chopsticks that screw together like pool cues (and some magic wands). The advantage with that is that chawan and chopsticks are meant to be together. Smile

Bill
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
CHOP STICK
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
WET NOODLE :-p
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are a number of these bowls that are made of a much more durable plastic that has been lacquered.

And if you want the ultimate "soft wand," think of the Charlie Miller "coathanger tube" wand.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Message received Pete...
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
You can make fake Fortune Cookies out of leather. Get a leather purse at a thrift store of the right colowing. the leather is stiffer than coat leather. A 3" - 31/2" circle can then be folded and glued.

I used to use these with Benson Bowl Routine.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Funsway's suggestion is cute, but don't bring it to Japan. Fortune cookies are not a Japanese product, In fact, most Japanese have never heard of fortune cookies in their lives. (The first time my wife ever saw one was when we went on a trip to San Diego.)

Bill
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Fortune cookies are also basically unknown in China, except in places where the Americans have had a lot of influence.

Where can "dismantleable" (if that IS a word) Chop Sticks be obtained? ...From?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Here are a set of stainless two part chopsticks. the title and image says stainless but the material says plastic. I am guessing that is a typo as these do not look like plastichrome or anything like that.

http://www.smallworld-us.com/simple-stai......542.html
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
How about a nice plain piece of bamboo as a wand?
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2010-02-01 11:45, Bill Palmer wrote:
Fortune cookies are also basically unknown in China, except in places where the Americans have had a lot of influence.

Where can "dismantleable" (if that IS a word) Chop Sticks be obtained? ...From?

Yup, most Fortune Cookies are made in New Jersey.

I bid on a set (two pair) of segmented chops called "pocket Chop Sticks" made of Mahagony and ivory -- but the price soon exceeded my limit.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
It may be the case that is plastic.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Japanese Cups & Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL