The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » IPhone apps @ Lybrary - no iTunes required (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1086 Posts

Profile of Chris
We are opening a new chapter at the Lybrary. You can now buy iPhone apps directly in our shop - no iTunes required. You know us for a decade of the best magic ebooks, instructional magic download videos and MP3 magic audio recordings. And now you can get some of the most clever iPhone apps.

We are starting with an improved version of Alan Rorrison's "Dracula Ebook Test" http://www.lybrary.com/dracula-ebook-test-p-48538.html
For those that know this ebook test you might have run into issues that the forcing does not always work. There was a small chance that it did not work. This problem is now completely removed. It will work 100% of the time. Alan and myself are working on a number of additional features for this ebook test. Anybody who buys this at the Lybrary will automatically receive the updates once they are ready.

I am very pleased that now after many years of publishing ebooks I can offer the first ever ebook test. It uses an exceedingly clever method.

The second App that I can offer to you is Alan's "Google Effect"
http://www.lybrary.com/google-effect-iphones-p-48759.html

Stay tuned for more iPhone magic at the Lybrary.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
So technically, this is a "web app" that runs in Mobile Safari (a website that is optimized for the iphone screen) and not a native iPhone App written in Objective-C and stored on the iPhone.

Which means you need internet connectivity and access to your server for it to run?
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1086 Posts

Profile of Chris
No you do not need internet access. It runs offline just the same. Of course, the Google Effect requires you to be online because you have to go to Google but the Dracula ebook test does not require you to be online.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
But it is an optimized 'web app' (website formatted for the iPhone), correct? As this is the only way I know to circumvent the app store, by making it a website optimized for the iPhone.

Sorry, I'm just confused by the marketing you are using, calling it an iPhone app, implying it is written in Objective-C and is a native iPhone App that runs on the iPhone.

I think it's fantastic you are offering something like this. Just wanted to be clear exactly what it was.
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1086 Posts

Profile of Chris
Scott, there are iPhone App stores which operate outside of Apple iTunes and which do sell native iPhone Apps. The technology is available.

The first two apps I sell are web-apps, however they are programmed such that they also operate offline (except Google Effect which requires Google).
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2010-01-30 23:13, Chris wrote:
Scott, there are iPhone App stores which operate outside of Apple iTunes and which do sell native iPhone Apps. The technology is available.

The first two apps I sell are web-apps, however they are programmed such that they also operate offline (except Google Effect which requires Google).

App stores outside of the Apple App Store? Not legally. Otherwise it's definitely a web app. Smile

Or could this be some kind of new app-fu I've never heard of? Hahaha.
Looking for a coin?
A coin holder or accessory?
THE COIN MAGICIAN'S RESOURCE:
The Magician's Coin
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5703 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Can't speak for library, but Hottrix has his own store. Then again he has the most popular app of all time, maybe.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2676 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
From Apple's What Are Web Apps? web page:

Quote:
When you find a web app you like, you can put it front and center on your Home screen. Just open the web app on your iPhone or iPod touch, tap the plus sign, and then tap “Add to Home screen.” A Web Clip will be added to your Home screen automatically for easy, one-tap access.

From the Lybrary.com FAQ page on installing apps purchased from them:

Quote:
Browse with Safari web browser from your iPhone to http://www.lybrary.com/login_mobile.php, or if you want your login (your email address) already pre-populated then use http://www.lybrary.com/login_mobile.php?login=your_email_address.

Once you are logged into your Lybrary account with your iPhone you can install any app you have bought. You will see the number of apps bought in the brackets next to "App". Below you see an example of a customer with one iPhone app. Click on "App" and you will get a list of your apps. In this case here the customer has one app named "Dracula Ebook Test".

Click on "Dracula Ebook Test" to install it. You will see the title screen of the app (after some loading time) shown on the left below. Here we need you to press the "+" as shown by the arrow. When you press this you will be given three options. We would like you to select the "Add to Home Screen" option as shown below in the center. The next screen will ask you to name the app. There is typically some preset but you can give it any name you like. Then press the "ADD" button as indicated below in the right screen shot.

Despite the name "web app", you don't need to be able to access the web, unless the program specifically requires it.

HTML5, which Mobile Safari runs, introduces a neat new technical trick called the "cache manifest", which basically allows offline storage in the browser of things like needed graphics, sounds, files, and so on.

Basically, if it weren't for this little trick, you'd have to have web access to run the program again, even if it was just accessing a title graphic!

What it sounds like here is the technology for offline web apps is being employed, with the cache manifest being used so that you don't need to access anything once you get it (with the obvious exception of ones that specifically state such internet access is required).

The Premier App Shop is somewhat vague on installation procedures, but the included support page does sound like the above procedures:

Quote:
How do I download Premier Apps?
They download straight to your iPhone/iPod touch and have their own icon on your home screen.

I cannot say for sure this is what is being done, of course. If it is an entirely different approach being used, I'm stumped.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » IPhone apps @ Lybrary - no iTunes required (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL