The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Miracle Monte by Wolfgang Moser (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
A friend of mine directed me to a website owned(?) by Josh Jay wherein he pitches a new 3-card monte variation called "Miracle Monte" by Wolfgang Moser.

After viewing the video trailer (at http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/c......ersMonte ), I have two questions:

1. Is this a video an actual physical DVD that you are purchasing or is it a copy-protected DRM (or equivalent) abomination?

2. In the site's description of the effect, they quote:

"Contains 20 gimmicks, a 30-minute instructional DVD and a bonus effect. Moser's Miracle Monte is a practical routine that will fit perfectly into your close-up repertoire."

My question is: does it take 20 gimmicks to perform this one effect, or, does it take one gimmick per performance? Assuming the latter, how much are additional gimmicks and where do you buy them?

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Profile of pegasus
You can do the effect 20 times. Nice idea actually and a nice souvenir to give away at the end, if that's your thing. A very good price indeed considering what you receive. I am getting this just for the spare gimmicks.
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Hi Turk,

To confirm: you get a DVD and gimmicks for 20 performances. We'll shortly be adding low-price refill packs to the site too.

--Andi
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
Maybe I am thinking about this too much like a magician but, with experience of Monte effects already, I pretty much sussed how the effect was done...it doesn't seem a million miles away from Skinners for instance.

The thing that bothers me is that the cover ups are somewhat obvious and tearing the corner off pretty much cements the method - it does have the benefit of leaving you very clean at the end.

Like I said maybe a lay person would be pretty amazed at this effect and certainly you are getting your monies worth with 20 gimmicks. Nice build on whats gone before as long as the routine doesn't leave the spectators with too much of a clue as to how it was done.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2010-01-31 06:01, AndiGladwin wrote:
Hi Turk,

To confirm: you get a DVD and gimmicks for 20 performances. We'll shortly be adding low-price refill packs to the site too.

--Andi

Thanks for that info, Andi.

As for the low-price refill packs you mention, how much per pack and how many gimmicks/pack?

Thanks again for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1652 Posts

Profile of Ross W
I dunno. I'm a HUGE fan of these guys, but this is extremely odd.

It's very like Skinner's Monte but with a twist: you expose the gimmick!

What conclusion will a reasonably intelligent person come to when he sees that final sequence? He'll conclude (rightly) that you had a card that was gimmicked in a particular way, and that that gimmicked card was central to the stuff that you did before!

Then again, maybe it's just me...
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
Perhaps it would work better if, instead of 'the evidence' getting destroyed, it was "given" to a spectator as a receipt. At the end, the corner would show a 3 instead of an Ace, and the transposition is complete.

Heaven knows how you would replicate the tear though...
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
So, it's Skinner's Monte Cards, but with a different routine and you get 20 cards?
~Joe
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Geez, did anyone check this with Harry Anderson first? That's the ending he published in Wiseguy and performed on national TV.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
Hi All,

I thought I would add my two cents to the mix.

First, to clarify, it's just one special card used per performance.

Second, I understand your comment, Ross, about the tearing indicating the method used. But experience has shown differently. I liken this EXACTLY to my own effect, Split Decision. This is, at its essence, a specially printed card torn in half and given out. But in literally THOUSANDS of performances, I've never had even a whiff of that from spectators. It's so simple, yet it always garners an enormous reaction.

Same here. I started doing this three months ago very regularly, somewhat skeptical that the ending would be written off as "special cards." Not so at all. In fact, in all the times I've done it, I've never had anyone look for or ask for the index piece you tear off and then tear up. And the way Wolfgang handles it really cements the idea that, like the phases before it, this is a swindle YOU have somehow pulled off, despite impossible conditions.

I'm perplexed by some people saying that it's "just" Skinner monte. This classic effect (which builds on several ideas far older than Skinner) is to me one of the great classics of card magic. Here Wolfgang offers you a deceptive, truncated and very strong handling of the classic gimmick. To me, the ending improves the effect enormously. But of course, you could use this ending with any version (Malone's, Skinner's, etc) to great effect.

Curtis, two comments. First, very much looking forward to meeting you and working with you at WMS in a few weeks. Second, Anderson's citation is properly credited on the DVD and the box. Wolfgang is an extremely studious, responsible magician (Austria has many such magicians) and he properly credits Anderson for this ending. What Wolfgang claims is only his routine, and all the fine points that build to the tear ending.

It's just one of those tricks...I saw it and although it didn't fool me, I thought, "I could see myself doing that." And now that I do it all the time, I can't envision NOT using it regularly.

Incidentally, Wolfgang has many great ideas, two of which appeared in my column last year. You'll be seeing more from him soon.

Best to all,

Josh
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Josh, that's good to hear, given that Wolfgang's not American I thought it may have been an instance of independent re-invention, and it says a lot for him that he cites his sources. I do see the differences, and his routine is much more magical, and less like a swindle. In fact, the Anderson ending may be more at home here, as it's so impossible that it has to be magic.

I'm looking forward to finally working a show with you. In fact, I'm deciding what to do for WMS right now--we should talk about that. Guess I'm not doing my monte routine....

Best of luck with this,

Curtis
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Jv
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Jv
Regardless that some think it may 'expose' the routine, I believe it will fly by spectators. Obviously, the spectators believe you did tear the AH, but I do believe the unexpected ending will destroy the idea of using a gaff or gimmick in the spectators mind. I'm looking forward to this one! Just my thoughts.

Jv
Guillotine+ASYLUM
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Quote:
On 2010-01-31 15:15, ross welford wrote:
What conclusion will a reasonably intelligent person come to when he sees that final sequence? He'll conclude (rightly) that you had a card that was gimmicked in a particular way, and that that gimmicked card was central to the stuff that you did before!

Then again, maybe it's just me...

Hi Ross,

I am able to speak as someone who has performed this routine repeatedly at paying gigs for lay people over the past few months (Josh and I try out everything we sell -- if it stays in our working repertoire, then we sell it!).

I can honestly say that in my experience, nobody has ever told me that they thought I was using gimmicked cards. I urge you to try it before coming to such conclusions because I can genuinely say that nobody has ever suggested such a method. Both Josh and Wolfgang (who has performed the routine hundreds of times) report exactly the same.

Cheers,

--Andi
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1051 Posts

Profile of John Carey
A beautiful sequence.

John
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
622 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
Because we, as magicians, are aware of gaffed cards and, more importantly, the innumerable ways that cards can be gaffed, we may assume this method is more transparent than it actually is. I seriously doubt the vast majority of lay spectators would ever jump to the method.

While it might pass through the minds of some fleetingly, two things would discourage them from allowing it to linger. First, it would be very difficult to reconstruct how the routine was accomplished with such a gaff. With three cards in play and much motion among them, there would be no clear path to follow. Second is the fact that the gaffed card is given to the spectator at the end of the effect. Few spectators would expect a magician to part with a "special" card. Giving the card away strongly suggests that the card is completely ordinary.

The popularity of the Skinner Monte and our general familiarity with the method may blind us to how truly inexplicable this effect is to laymen. I personally believe this version only improves the standard effect by increasing conviction and allowing for complete examinability, which I feel is more important in Monte routines than in others. I will definitely be picking this up and performing it.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1652 Posts

Profile of Ross W
You know what: I may be wrong. If Josh and Andi say it kills in the real world, who am I to argue? They perform far more than I do!
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2032 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I will agree that for magicians this is somewhat see through. However, for lay people this will be very entertaining. There is enough going on in the presentation to throw them off. There are also several times where they will feel they have seen all the cards at face value. I think it is a well thought out handling and I like it.

Good magic to all,

Eric
KLG
View Profile
Veteran user
Hong Kong
347 Posts

Profile of KLG
At the point of the tear, I expect the average lay people will mis-remember they have seen the whole faces of all the cards. That's how I mis-recalled the effect when I first saw U3CM performed. In fact I didn't believe it was the method when I saw the gaff.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1151 Posts

Profile of Corbett
As a reference, where would one find the Skinner Monte in print?
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
622 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
Quote:
On 2010-02-11 09:18, Corbett wrote:
As a reference, where would one find the Skinner Monte in print?

It was a marketed effect by Michael Skinner titled "Michael Skinner's Ultmate Three Card Monte." I do not know whether you can still purchase the original effect, but those would be your search criteria. Bill Malone has a presentation that is very similar to the original, though with Bill's trademark comedy style, on his original L&L DVD set.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Miracle Monte by Wolfgang Moser (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL