We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » General magic books for non-beginners (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

obi-wan
View Profile
New user
UK
83 Posts

Profile of obi-wan
Can anyone recommend some good general, intermediate to advanced (non-beginner), close-up magic books?

I have been doing magic for a few years now but have concentrated mostly on cards (knowing only a few coin and rubber band effects to add to them) and am now trying to expand my repetoire a bit as although I prefer card effects I am not sure that this is the general concensus of laypeople. The thing I look for most in a book are useable effects and not necessarily the newest or most difficult to master sleights. I enjoyed the AoA books and am looking for something with the same sort of mix of effects although maybe with a few less card effects and a bit more of everything else.

If anyone could suggest some books and give me a few details about them I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks Smile
Coolmagic
View Profile
New user
My mom...
67 Posts

Profile of Coolmagic
Have you ever read "Totally out of control" from Chris Kenner? if not, well that's a good book.

VCM Smile
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Totally out of control is a killer book. Another book I love is the Amazing miracles of Shigeo Takagi. The vernon book of magic has material to keep you occupied for a life time.
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
Any of the recent magazine compilations would foot the bill....The Collected Almanac, Apocalypse, Penumbra(not compiled yet, but an awesome magazine if you want close up), etc.
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
Phred
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Phred
Gary Ouellets "Close Up Illusions" is a good mix of close up effects (hence the title) using cards, coins, sponges, thimbles.

Either of John Bannon's books (Impossibilia or Smoke & Mirrors) contain a good mix of intermediate and advanced effects.

Finally, a book that is often overlooked because of it's title, Hay's "Amateur Magician's Handbook" contains a great variety of stuff, cards, coins, thimbles, balls, silks etc.
John Kokot
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of John Kokot
Please consider the following:

"The Stars of Magic," by Starke, Daley, et.al.

"Classic Secrets of Magic," by Bruce Elliott.

"The Art of Close-Up Magic" (two volumes of non-card material) and the three-part "Routined Manipulation" series, all by Lewis Ganson.

The three-volume "Close-Up Cavalcade" series compiled by Jerry Mentzer also eschews card effects.

Ganson's "The Magic of Faucett Ross" is a valuable general magic (close-up, stage, parlor) book.

All of the above feature primarily intermediate (with some advanced) magic. The avant-garde may be disappointed, but there is a wealth of seminal non-card material in these books.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
The Magic of Michael Ammar
Carneycopia
The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley vol1&2
Tarbell vol1-8
Greater Magic
Stars of Magic
Dai Vernon book of Magic
AOA vol1-3
The Book of Wonder vol1&2
The second now you see it,now you don't

Andre
ajcombri@telkomsa.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » General magic books for non-beginners (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL