The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Enter Contest & Win Expensive Prize! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1904 Posts

Profile of chmara
This presentation is the first of this use of the principle for performance magic I can remember in my 50 years in an out of magic or in my 68 years on earth. But I do not see all, tell all or even have enough time to research all --- even with a mind reading turban.

As a potential divination device or spirit detector for seances this could be a killer with good routining -- and offers much more than a PK effect can bring in drama. And if it is re-dressed for different cultures -- WOW!

Just think of a Tibetan look frame -- and then move to something that might have been Plains Amerind or Australian Aborigine for presentation. In fact I am beginning to think the iudea of issuing a book is the wisest idea I have heard of -- I would hate to see a generic magicky looking trick prop flood the market.

So -- if the center bob is the one to move whilst leaving the other ends (Danger and Caution, Yes or No) still -- cud this not be called

"The Centrix Divination" or the "Centrix Pendulum Divnation?"

I must say I love the earlier classic references to three headed beasts -- it shows scholarly thoughts in or ranks. Whether many younger magi will understand the references, however, is up to debate.

I kinda like the ideas surrounding

"The Fickle Finger of Fate" since the audience will never know the name of the trick and it must sell to magicians.

A more Buddhist approach could be -- "The Middle Way" again depending on the central bob moving.

"Fate Detector" also comes to mind.

"By Forces Unknown" wraps the enigma in science.

"Make your own spiritual energy detector" might work for a book.

For the science minded "Physics(ly) Impossible!"

GC
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
In Harry Price's "Poltergeist Over England: Three Centuries of Mischievous Ghosts" (1945, London: Country Life Ltd.) he tells of a 27-year-old woman named Anna Rasmussen, whom he tested in June of 1927.

Among other phenomena, such as mirror writing and spirit raps, Anna was able to affect and cause to move on command two steel ball bearings arranged as he describes:

"On top of the séance-table was a tabourette or stool, 27½ inches high, of plain wood, with four legs with supporting struts some third of the distance from the bottom. On the under side of the stool-top were screwed two hooks, 90 min. apart. From these hooks were suspended (by means of threads) two steel balls such as are used for ball-bearings in machinery. The weight of the balls was about one ounce each, though the weights were not identical. They reached nearly to the table-top. To exclude draughts or conscious or unconscious blowing by the medium or sitters, sheets of plate glass were firmly clamped to the four sides of the tabourette - thus forming it into a glass chamber containing two pendulums of dissimilar weights."

- entity
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Some great name idea! And I really appreciate the research, gentlemen. I can't believe I breezed by the earlier pendulum references in "Behind The Scenes With The Mediums" which also provides an 1897 refence.

Still, I'm looking for a reference specific to the design I'm describing in the ebook and Rich is crafting for sale and as the prize in the contest. I know I read of such a style over 35 years ago and the "Perform Magic
With Science" book I read it in was very likely already old. While the descriptions cited so far are very similar and of course work the same, I'm still hoping for exact. I have been told Galileo made and used one for scientific study but I've yet to find any reference.

I have more pictures to post of prototypes Rich has made! Remember these are only protoypes and not the prize or necessarily what Rich intends to market. However he told me last night that he is open to customizing at the customer's request, something I'd PM'ed CHMARA was unlikely. This is very good news. Here is a multi-bob with alligator feet!

Click here to view attached image.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
A five bob with Chinese coins!

Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
The latest mini-bob with detachable pendulums, bamboo rod about 8.5 inches long. I love the keys!

Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
This is the first multi-bob prototye Rich send me and the one I've worked the most with. Despite its simple appearance, it works like a charm. It is just under 6" long and the bobs are NOT detachable.

Sorry so small. This was the only picture of this particular multi-bob that I could fit on the Café. Considering it is a mini-bob, maybe it is strangely appropriate

chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1904 Posts

Profile of chmara
The only thing I can see it might need would be matching uprights or a stand for hands off spirit detection.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
That is precisely what I am invested in getting away from! I want this as hands on as possible. But I can see where others might feel differently and a stand of some kind would fit there presentation.

It wouldn't be difficult to construct. And interestingly, in the ad you will soon see, I describe the multi-bob as resting in a stand! So I am not adverse to the idea but it just isn't the direction I am taking this in. Wait until you read John Riggs stage size version. It definitely begs to be hands on!
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1601 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Bill, I haven't kept up with this thread, sorry!

I DO have a few suggestions for a name if you have not already decided:

Cosmic Pendulum
The Pendulum of Confucius
The Universal Mind Connection
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1601 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Bill,
If I remember my high school physics correctly, I believe Galileo experimented with multi-bob pendulums, albeit for a different reason.
Best regards,
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hands on would be good - because if done right- the hands are the spectator's - you as the medium/psychic/mystery entertainer doesn't have to touch the device at all!

Entity beat me to the latest refs Smile

Anyhoo - if you didn't get the Al Mann ones yet, PM me and I'll fire them to you
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
DutchFrank
View Profile
Special user
Has a fence with
541 Posts

Profile of DutchFrank
Bill's Balls
Forgive me any language mistakes.

I'm Dutch.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Tony, how good to see you here! I understand that if Galileo experimented with a set up like the mutli-bob, his intentions were different. But I'd still like to see his set up if it is at all similar.

I like your names, Tony, particularly the last. And Bruce, we are on the same page; while it is amazing to see the magi get the movements and may be needed as part of the indirect suggestion, it is when the participant moves the pendulums in his own hands that things move to a new level.

As for you Dutch Frank, funny but I don't know if it is appropriate :1)
DutchFrank
View Profile
Special user
Has a fence with
541 Posts

Profile of DutchFrank
Quote:

Ok,how about The Billibob...

I'm Dutch.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Given my my modest habit of working my name into the titles of my ebooks (Mirabill, Telephone Bill, Suggestabilities) you are tapping into a "subtle need" of mine. However neither suggestion so far is giving me that "Aha" experience I'm seeking. Keep them coming DutchFrank!
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1601 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Quote:
On 2010-02-08 01:08, Bill Cushman wrote:
Tony, how good to see you here! I understand that if Galileo experimented with a set up like the mutli-bob, his intentions were different. But I'd still like to see his set up if it is at all similar.

I like your names, Tony, particularly the last. And Bruce, we are on the same page; while it is amazing to see the magi get the movements and may be needed as part of the indirect suggestion, it is when the participant moves the pendulums in his own hands that things move to a new level.

Thanks, Bill! Always good to "see" you, too!

Let me do some research on Galileo. I'll get back to you.
Best regards,
DutchFrank
View Profile
Special user
Has a fence with
541 Posts

Profile of DutchFrank
- Triple Bill

- Cushmaniac Cycloids

"The cycloid is the locus of a point on the rim of a circle of radius rolling along a straight line. It was studied and named by Galileo in 1599. Galileo attempted to find the area by weighing pieces of metal cut into the shape of the cycloid. Torricelli, Fermat, and Descartes all found the area. The cycloid was also studied by Roberval in 1634, Wren in 1658, Huygens in 1673, and Johann Bernoulli in 1696. Roberval and Wren found the arc length (MacTutor Archive). Gear teeth were also made out of cycloids, as first proposed by Desargues in the 1630s (Cundy and Rollett 1989)." (Source: Internet, somewhere)

Posted: Feb 10, 2010 6:49am
Osbillation(s)
Osbilloscope
Cushmaniac Science (or Science Cushmaniac)
Unbillievable

I'm Dutch.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Penduwill

Trio of Will

(Since Bill might be a William.... and "Willing" the chosen pendulum is the key)

I Still like my original... The Fates or the Oracle of the Fates... but can't figure out a way to get Bill in.... so.... "Will of the Fates!"

:)
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
I typed this on another forum, but:

Dependabill
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Trybyl. (Pronounced: tri-bil)

Live long and prosper.

- entity
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Enter Contest & Win Expensive Prize! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL