The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Enter Contest & Win Expensive Prize! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Since the contest is now open to all, I'll reiterate the remarks from my pm to Bill:

Your book (and the prop) should be called: The Chimaera

The Chimaera was a three-headed, fire-breathing creature that Hercules had to contend with in the epic tale of his great trials.

Also see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_(mythology)

A classy prop should have a classy name, I think.

- entity
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
I suggest "The Cerberus Pendulum" named for the three-headed dog who guarded Hades. He can be found in both both Greek and Roman mythology.

Cerberus was seen in one of the Harry Potter films as well.
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2050 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Quote:
On 2010-02-04 00:50, entity wrote:
A classy prop should have a classy name, I think.

I agree. Which is why I suggested calling the prop either "The Three-Way Swinger" or "The Swingin' Threesome," and calling the book something like "The Three-Way Swinger's Party Handbook."
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Garrad
View Profile
Elite user
454 Posts

Profile of Garrad
Are the pendulums detachable so that they can be used seperately as well, as part of a multistage routine?
You might say reality is the result of complex negotiations between the observer and the observed. But that is simply a point of view.

Many Thanks
Garrad
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Quote:
On 2010-02-04 02:38, Garrad wrote:
Are the pendulums detachable so that they can be used seperately as well, as part of a multistage routine?

Yes, they use magnets to attach/detach.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Ah well it sounded like a good marketing Idea Bill....And not underhanded.

But mentalists are a bunch on to their own Smile
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On 2010-02-03 23:34, MDantes wrote:
(shakes head)

Is it more important to be able to open a door, or to close it?

Depends on the reason why a door needs to be open or close. Same reasoning for a fence, is a fence build to keep something in or to keep something out?

R
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
You guys better stop...we are bordering on fun.

Nathan
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
As Dr. Bill is a great guy - here is my suggested name:

The Oracle of the Fates

- Based on the 3 Moirae (The Fates) of Greek Mythology:

Clotho (English pronunciation: /ˈkloʊθoʊ/, Greek Κλωθώ [klɔːˈtʰɔː] – "spinner") spun the thread of life from her distaff onto her spindle. Her Roman equivalent was Nona, (the 'Ninth'), who was originally a goddess called upon in the ninth month of pregnancy.
Lachesis (/ˈlækɨsɪs/, Greek Λάχεσις [ˈlakʰesis] – "allotter" or drawer of lots) measured the thread of life allotted to each person with her measuring rod. Her Roman equivalent was Decima (the 'Tenth').
Atropos (/ˈætrəpɒs/, Greek Ἄτροπος [ˈatropos] – "inexorable" or "inevitable", literally "unturning",[7] sometimes called Aisa) was the cutter of the thread of life. She chose the manner of each person's death; and when their time was come, she cut their life-thread with "her abhorred shears"[8]. Her Roman equivalent was Morta ('Death').
(From Wiki)

Sounds like a great device - heh, I built one of these but its like a David Abbot table - I have 13 pendulums on a table Smile

Also, the principle can be used for bringing to life a routine based on HPL's "Terrible Old Man"

As a possesor of Rich's fine pendulum work - (I got the Roman coin/spear) - bravo!

I now dematerialize.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
743 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
"Mental Mojoe Monkey Bar"

Woodfield
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Hey Greg, read more closely! The contest is now open to everyone so please contribute some names for the ebook. Your odds of winning the multi-bob are much higher if you do so:).

Well, one thing is for sure, we're going to have a wider pool of great choices to sift through! A definite advantage of making the contest open to everyone.

Now let me tap into the mind trust we have here on a different matter. What/where is the oldest reference to a multi-bob style pendulum? Or equally evasive, who get can be credited for this mind blowing invention?

I've done my research on this and come up empty handed. I've asked the people we would all expect to know. They don't. So I'm casting a wide net by bringing this question to all of you.

Let me tell you what I do know. The whole idea of resurrecting the multi-bob began when I was about to replace a nice, wooden paper towel holder that had a broken end piece.

As I was about to toss the central rod, I kept thinking there had to be something I could do with it. An old memory was nibbling at the edge of my mind.

Fifteen minutes, three pieces of yarn and three nuts later, I had my first multi-bob prototype! A little while after that the rest of my mind was gradually being nibbled away as I discovered how well it worked. I thought I knew the extent of ideoomotor responses as well as anyone and I was discovering I was a neophyte at the gate of the temple.

So like any good student, I began my research along with a practice regimen. My earliest memory of trying out a multi-bob style pendulum was at about age 12. I'm almost certain that I came across the instructions to build it in one of those "Perform Magic With Science" style books my nerdy younger self so enjoyed.

Believe it or not we had to go to buildings known as libraries back then to research information. So I cleared an old path and travelled to such a building rumored to exist.

Inside were thousands and thousands of books! With the help of an ancient “librarian” I found the section that she thought should hold the answers I sought. But to no avail.

“Magic with Science” books, “Science with Magic” books, but no information on a multi-bob pendulum. The closest reference I found was the similarly based idea of isolating a pendulum in a bottle and placing two or three such bottles upon a table.

Truly a marvelous effect but not what I was searching for. Besides, I already had references for this arrangement dating back to the early 1900s. It is described in “Behind the Scenes with the Mediums” written by David Abbot in 1907.

My notes took me to various discoveries on how to best use the mutli-bob pendulum. These discoveries inspired presentations. They inspired Rich Hennessey to create prototypes that far outshined my original mock-up and allowed for further, even more amazing discoveries of the multi-bob’s potential.

My cyberspace travels to the best minds of my generation led to more stories about multi-bob pendulums. This inspired a great sharing of ideas and effects. And so an ebook was begun to gather all of this wonderful information in one place.

And that brings us to the present. Where the original questions remain unanswered!

Who created this darn thing? And when was the first one built? I now turn to you, bearers of obscure, arcane knowledge, for answers. No contest this time, just that great sense of satisfaction that comes from a job well done. Oh, and if I can verify your answers you and they will be in the ebook!
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
"Triforce"
xxx
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
Bill,

I believe Tarbell has something on this but not quite used as a pendulum in our sense, but as swinging balls. The patter matched the objects’ movement and because they worked automatically, you just had to adjust your presentation to the timing of the balls’ movement.

If I remember correctly there is also something in Tarbell about pendulums in bottles with different length strings that could be “controlled” by people’s fingertips on the table.

At the museum I used to run we had a "Mystery Swing" that worked on the pendulum principle where the kids could swing on the swing itself, stop swinging and as their momentum died down the weighted pendulum would begin "pushing" the swing. It is an eerie feeling to be sitting quietly and suddenly, without doing anything, you feel the swing begin to move.
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
"Great Swinging Balls of Brass"?
[
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
David Abbot describes the method in his Behind the Scenes with the Mediums - but points out that even at that time, the method was an oldie - and he adapted it from another medium...
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Unholy Trinity

...or even just Trinity
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2534 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2010-02-04 09:15, Bill Cushman wrote:

Who created this darn thing? And when was the first one built? I now turn to you, bearers of obscure, arcane knowledge, for answers. No contest this time, just that great sense of satisfaction that comes from a job well done. Oh, and if I can verify your answers you and they will be in the ebook!

The history of this pendulum divination can be traced back over 5,000 years to the ancient Orient. The pendulum is the main instrument used for this area of divination, although wooden rods are also used. This practice became very popular in the Middle Ages and was a favored practice of divination through to the early nineteenth century. The practice lost favor after that but then there was a great renewal of interest in the twentieth century. In 1933, the British Society of Dowsers was formed.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Bob'ing along is my suggestion
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Thanks Doctor Specktor and Steven but perhaps I wsan't clear. I have found many ancient refeences to pendulums being used for divination.

What I cannot find is a description of the type of pendulum I refer to as multi-bob and as shown in the photos. This is the origin that eludes me. Who was the first person to hang 3 or more pendulums from a single rod and realize that you could control each pendulum individuallly?

This is the essence of the mult-bob pendulum and what makes it so effective and magical. So if anyoone has any information on this aspect, it would be greatly appreciated.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
As mentioned - the reference I describe does have that - it describes having tables with 20-30 bobs strung together in varuous ways and in bottles and so on where only one moves a time - the one chosen by the spec.

Later references never site that one - but I think Mental-ettes... or I can look it up if you like... Al Mann has 2 effects along these lines... one with multiple bottles and another like yours (a rod with various pendulums all attached) but more bobs than 3.

Most of the refs though come from the spiritualism materials...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Enter Contest & Win Expensive Prize! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL