The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » A new Bendix Bombshell hits the market (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Ooops....before someone breaks a finger trying the above, I got it backwards. The middle finger is underneath the corner and the forefinger on top! Sorry.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5896 Posts

Profile of motown
We need to hear from someone who's bought the latest Bendix Bombshell.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1589 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I bought the wallet last Friday from Penguin and it is in route to NY now, I hope to get it before Wednesday and then I'll put my review.

pablo
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of tdowell
WingChun
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of WingChun
Thank You Runawy for the advice and tips. Also many thanks to tdowell for the nice picture of the original wallet. I think I'll get my hands on one of the new types.
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
Quote:
On 2010-02-15 02:57, tdowell wrote:
The original and still the best:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h247/tdowell1/IMG_3138.jpg

I have original one in black.
This brown one looks great.

Rock
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5896 Posts

Profile of motown
There was a nice older black one on eBay, that I missed out on.

Can't say I reall y care for the two tone version.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1589 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Ok, I got the wallet this afternoon, but before going into the actual report, some background.
I am a hobbyist, I only perform for my wife and my kids, I am more a spectator than a magician, and I think I give more value to the aesthetics of the prop that about its actual merits as the medium to do a trick. So with that here is the review.

Package:
Plastic bag containing the wallet and the booklet with the routines, looking at the ad, I thought the booklet was of medium size 8x5, actually it is 11.5x8 with 25 pages.

Wallet
Impressive, larger size, kind of heavier than O’Connell or RFA of similar size
Dimensions: 71/4x4 1/4x1/2 when closed
Leather: Black, smooth, not grainy, similar to the O’Connell Himber wallet, and not as shinny as the O’connell plus series
It has straps and they are not too visible
The interior is made of a black cloth, nice, and kind of opaque compared with O’connells interior cloth (silk?)
The construction is great, well stitched inside-out
The 2 sides are identical, so the switch should work perfectly
The zippers run very smooth and look very good, made of nylon.

Overall similar quality to the O’Connell Himber that I have, the cloth used on the Himber looks nicer to me, but this is just aesthetics. Also this wallet is rigid, the Himber is flexible.
I don’t have the original RAR, but looking at Todd’s picture the interior of his wallet is leather, this one is cloth, everything else looks the same.

The only cons I found is the size, it is big, but I think this is the nature of the beast.

Booklet:
Full size 11.5x8 25 pages, the covers are color, interior is B/W, mostly written instructions with few illustrations, I have not read them in details, so I am not sure if more drawings are actually needed to understand the routines
Routines by:
Dave Bendix
Roy Roth variation
Marlo variation
Dave Solomon
Roy Roth routine
Bob Driebeek
Marlo routine
Larry Becker
Karrel Fox
Phil Goldstein
Roberto Giobbi
Borodin
Peter Issacs

Bottom line, I am please with my purchase, the wallet is of excellent quality and it comes with enough routines to play for a while, I also have Lorayne’s book on Himber wallets and Mendoza DVD with his Bendix routine more than enough for this winter

Not totally related to the wallet, but I bought it from Penguin, excellent service, with shipping the same day (Friday 3:00pm) and got it today, and got the 10% code discount. Very good deal.

I will put more comments as I play with the wallet

Pablo
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5896 Posts

Profile of motown
Pablo,

thanks for all the details. That answers all my questions.
– Karl Germain
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
Thank you very much Pablo for a very detailed review.

Helped me a lot.

Rock
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5896 Posts

Profile of motown
In the picture of the new wallet the straps look more invisible then the original.
– Karl Germain
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1589 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I don't have the original, but I do have a O'Connell Himber and the straps on the himber are more noticeable that the bendix, but again I am not sure if it is something to make a point.
I used the himber and nobody pays attention to the details of the wallet, just that the cards, or the bills appears and disappear.
In the DVD from John Mendoza, he mentioned to pinch the wallet (bendix) on the top with your fingers to eliminate the thickness perception, so I think this is a point to take into account, he does not mention the straps so I will assume it is not a problem.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1626 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
This may be a stupid question but... are there any big differences between the Bendix Bombshell and a classic himber in terms of method, idea? Those look pretty close to me, or am I missing something?

Also had another one... Smile :
How do the no palm card to wallet methods compare between the Bendix Bomshell and the Pimpernel Notecase for example?

Thanks for any input! Smile
Ben
alannasser
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of alannasser
Wow! I'm surprised that no one mentioned Anthony Miller's Hip Pocket Bombshell, which runawayjag/John Mendoza gave a much-deserved rave review when it came out. The Bendix is admittedly a classic, but I think Miller's wallet is far superior - none of the admitted snags that could make the Bendix problematic, and Miller's is much smaller than the Bendix. To my mind the H-P Bombshell pretty much makes Bendix obsolete. But different magi like different things.

Alan
NexusMagicShop
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny California
434 Posts

Profile of NexusMagicShop
Nice Review: Pablo
Jason of BackroomMagic
www.BackroomMagic.com/| Mobile friendly magic forums and blogs
www.twitter.com/Nexusmagicstore
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5896 Posts

Profile of motown
A traditional himber doesn't have the zippered compartment.
The Bendix Bombshell and the Pimpernal are completely different wallets.
– Karl Germain
samdan
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of samdan
Pabloinus,

I am in the same category of you as a magician, wife and friends without difficult or preferably any sleights. Does this fit the bill (pun intended), i.e. easy enough for us hobbyists who have day jobs to effectively use without hours and hours of practice? Thanks.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1589 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
The bendix bombshell is very easy to use, actually works as a himber, with the hidden card appearing in a zippered compartment.
In the DVDs (My Best) John Mendoza has a routine with the bombshell and another with a Bendix, and both could be done with the bombshell.
Also if you get a copy of Lorayne's himber book (he still has some deluxe editions) you have tons of routines that could use the bombshell instead of the himber.

It is a nice prop, good leather, very well constructed and easy to use.

Hope this helps
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » A new Bendix Bombshell hits the market (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL