The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Something supernatural happened, I´m confused (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
What would you do if you had a psychic experience,or a physical one that bordered on the supernatural, and you couldn´t explain it in a scientific way even though you are a sceptic yourself?

I have had at least one experience that can not be fitted in, or explained in a logical way. It´s really bothering me.

I have noticed that sceptics use very general explanations, that make certain events slip through as explained, that should not slip through as explained that easy. My experience fits into this category.

Mikael Smile
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
I would document the information while you can remember the details, including all the physical information about the site, time etc and then casually enquire if there has ever been a similar occurence - without divulging your story so it can't corrupt what you hear. If you find similar evidence then you again must balance and weigh the truthfullness of what you find against your own experience.

Many, many, many years ago I had a friend who was dating a girl in her mid-twenties, born and raised on the island of Harris in the Western Isles off of Scotland. She was bright, sensible, serious and opinionated - normal by any measure.

However she told me a tale about a young man who died in a car accident over there when she was sixteen. Now the point of the story is that she and another girl say they saw that young man sitting alone in a church a few days after his death. That's the tale - simplified.

Was she lying? - I doubt it from my knowledge of her.
Did she ever try to use that story to leverage anything from me? - no.
This is just another tale in the thousands before it which have unexplained facts told by people like yourself who generally have nothing to gain by it and who often dont volounteer the information publicly.

I am skeptical about anything which cant be measured and weighed in the light of reason, possibly why I am so fascinated by magic and misdirection, but I have absolutely no explanation for the kind of tale told here when the the source of the story is otherwise reputable and 'clean'
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4463 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
"Skeptic" just means 'questioning'.

You don't accept everything at face value, but instead take the time to explore the possible explanations for an event.

It doesn't mean that you automatically disbelieve or try to debunk anything that appear "supernatural."

I, and many others in the field of "psychic entertainment" have had our share of experiences that cannot be explained through 'normal' means. And we're the folks that know all the tricks of the trade.

While the debunkers would classify these experiences as mere "coincidences" and tell us that we selectively remember the "hits" and forget the "misses," I know that there's much more to this reality than meets the eye.

So when I do experience something outside the norm, I just savor it and enjoy it for what it is; something that tells me that the Universe is wonderful place beyond my complete understanding.

Mikael, I hope you will share your experience with us...
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
maurile
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego
102 Posts

Profile of maurile
Quote:
On 2002-04-05 12:28, Mikael Eriksson wrote:
What would you do if you had a psychic experience,or a physical one that bordered on the supernatural, and you couldn´t explain it in a scientific way even though you are a sceptic yourself?

I'd think it was cool.

So are you going to tell us what happened? Smile It's just like you magic folk to keep your audience in suspense! Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
You're not alone...I could go on for hours on unexplained things that I cannot explain but have learned to accept.

It has happened to many times to be just a coincidence. Don't fight it accept it.
Dennis Michael
Cacoal
View Profile
New user
Lewiston NY
70 Posts

Profile of Cacoal
I think that many people see people who have passed on. After my grandfather died I was always seeing him everywhere he was supposed to be (his chair, coming through the door). I think it's easy to debunk things of a supposedly supernatural nature, but why bother if it isn't going to hurt anyone (unlike people who prey on bereaved family members and claim to contact the deceased relative for cash). I think that it's much easier to accept things as they come.
But that's just me,
Jason
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Maybe you should consider not being a skeptic any more? Then it won't bother you Smile

re;
I have noticed that sceptics use very general explanations, that make certain events slip through as explained, that should not slip through as explained that easy. My experience fits into this category.

Sound like you are becoming skeptical of skeptics?

Paul Hallas
Maynooth
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
105 Posts

Profile of Maynooth
I too have had unexpailnable experiences.
I think it's wonderful and a blessing.

As for my two cents worth, I think that people who "don't believe in anything" are just as foolish as people who "belive in everything.

There is more in heaven and earth....
Maynooth
The race is long and in the end it is only with one's self.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Watch the film "Magnolia".
It deals with unexplicable coincidences and uses them to prove the existance of a higher power.
Well worth watching, superbly acted, extremely entertaining, and very thought provoking.

Whenever the inexpicable happens to me, I pause, reflect, and move on, stopping only to occasionally dwell.
I don't see what else there is to do.

Gonz
:carrot: Smile
Hello.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Thanks to everyone that have replied. Once again I have received a lot of "brainfood". Describing what happened would take too long, because it was a repeating phenomenon, and I dont want to just say it repeated itself 5 or 6 times, but describe it more in detail. But I can say that it can´t be fitted into the coincidence cathegory. The same way a levitating table can´t be fitted into the coincidence cathegory. I´m thinking however if I should describe another event, and hear what you think...

Mikael
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
I'm sure we'd love to hear, Mikael.
Go for it.

Gonz
:carrot: Smile
Hello.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Ok. Here the other experience comes, not the one I started this thread about.

In Sweden, above our refrigerators, we sometimes have a bread-cupboard. A space where it´s drier than in regular cupboards. The cupboard is closed with a door.

In one of my apartments I had a cupboard like this, but never used it since I did not eat bread at that time in my life. One day I came home, and noticed that the door to the cupboard was open. I thought it was strange since it can not open by itself. I thought maybe someone had been in my apartment? Anyhow I slowly closed the door, pushed it until it closed itself, that´s the way it works, and that´s why it can´t open by itself. I put my fingers on the door and pushed for a few seconds although it was already closed, and then I lowered my fingers and looked at the door for several seconds while I thought about the strange thing that had happened. I left the closed door and went to the bathroom. I was there for a few minutes, and when I was finished and entered my living room, I noticed that the door was once again open. Smile Smile Smile

I think the expression jawdropper can be used here. I once again closed the door in the same way, and scientific as I am, I decided to investigate what was going on. I thought the most probable explanation was a change in the air pressure, ie somehow air had pushed the door open. I decided to recreate all the things I had done while I was at the bathroom. I opened the cabinet in the bathroom, nothing happened. I closed it, nothing happened. I tried harder, both ways, nothing happened. repeated this with the bathroom door, the living room door, the door to my apartment. I tried every door, or similar that existed in the apartment. Even the ones I did not touch going from or to the kitchen, or while I was in the bathroom the first time. I even tried doors I had not ever opened. I tried everything. I used such force slamming the doors that I was lucky nothing broke. The door to the bread-cupboard did not move an inch. Not strange, because it was tight everywhere inside, so no air could push it open from the inside.

I have told people about this, and got different suggestions. One was that the material in the cupboard was ticking. Another that a rat opened it from the inside. To this day no one has managed to give a serious explanation. I lived there for 2 years, and it only happened that one time. It did not happen anytime before, and it hasn´t happened ever since.
Smile Smile Smile

Mikael
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

I´m amazed no one has commented my story. Can it really be that no one has any opinion? Or do you all just want to be polite not telling me I´m a nut? Smile

Come on! I´m interested in your opinions, positive or negative.

Mikael
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
OK,
we all have a narcisistic nature or we probably wouldnt post here and come back for a read - I do.

As I said in my earlier post, all the conditions need to be checked.

Are you in an apartment with neighbors living over you?. Could walking on their floor alter or vibrate the wood?.

Does opening the door a fraction allow it to swing out completely?
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

"Are you in an apartment with neighbors living over you?. Could walking on their floor alter or vibrate the wood?."

Yes there were people in the apartment above mine, but the effect even when they ran around was way too small.

"Does opening the door a fraction allow it to swing out completely?"

No, you have to open it between 4 and 8 inches.

Mikael
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Things happen that are unexplained. We have people who have made careers trying to fathom what caused them.

If unexplained things did not happen, then there would be no reason to pursue studies of the paranormal, etc. If one believes that such things can occur, for other than scientifically explained reasons, then one can live with the amazement of the occurence(s) rather than fret over it. Hope this helps.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5677 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Here is something that I have personally witnessed. Sorry for going off at a tangent, but couldn’t help narrating the miracle which took the world by surprise.

It began at dawn in the month of September 1996 (I don't remember the exact date) in a temple on the outskirts of Delhi, India, when milk offered to a statue of Ganesh (Hindu God)with a spoon just disappeared into thin air. Word spread like wild fire. Soon thousands were seen offering milk to the gods (statues) and watching in amazement as it disappeared. Life in India came to a virtual standstill. People were seen rushing to the temples to see the milk drinking gods. Government shut down and stock market trading came to a total stop in Bombay and New Delhi. The news spread so quickly to the Hindu communities all over the world that people were seen converging on temples with large quantities of milk as offerings to the Hindu Gods. Except for some minor spillage, all milk was consumed by the statues.

Various theories came up from the scientific community. The TV, Radio, Mid-day & evening news papers were all screaming about the miracle. And at the end of the day all theories proved to be wrong because at dawn of the next day, all became normal.

Smile USTAAD
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Hi Ustaad.

I remember the milkmiracle. But I thought it continued for more than a day, didn´t it?

Mikael
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5677 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Hello Mikael,

No, it lasted exactly for a day.

Smile Ustaad
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
There is an anti-supernatural bias in modern thought, especially in the sciences. The hoaxes and hallucinations only bolster this bias, but by no means can the counterfeit disprove the reality beyond the material realm.

--alan
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Something supernatural happened, I´m confused (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL